5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

33 gallon tank on a 2019 question

cobradav

Reaction score
ran it down to 10 miles estimated until empty on my tank, filled up and hit 30.01 gallons. Feels weird driving to nearly 0, knowing there is a reserve, all the while thinking Murphy will strike.

Added Fuelly to my phone to start tracking it to see if I get more gallons or less doing similar tactics of driving it down for max range before fill ups.
my highest fill was 31.261 at 604 tank miles with 25 miles to empty. Avg speed for that 604 miles was 39.61. Actual mileage for that tank was 19.32 versus the vehicle computed 20.8 for a 7.7 % error. My closest comparison was about 2.9% under similar conditions. Seems as though my fill technique may be the leading contributor to variation as no other trend appears to explain difference. I track everything in a spreadsheet for all my vehicles ( a bit anal I know)

Roddog2220

Reaction score
empty for me was empty, i ran out of gas and it died as i coasted into the station, still only held 21 gallons and never has held more, very disappointed especially since the dealer keeps playing stupid

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
empty for me was empty, i ran out of gas and it died as i coasted into the station, still only held 21 gallons and never has held more, very disappointed especially since the dealer keeps playing stupid

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

I guess you truck must have the 23 gallon (claimed) tank? Man! That would drive me crazy!

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just like to know capabilities. I like to know if my truck can go to 0 miles to empty, or can it go 10 miles past that. Or 20. Just because it goes 20 past "empty" one time doesn't mean I would assume it will do it every time. Driving conditions would obviously affect that - potentially, a lot. But, I feel a need to know - to a point. Once I know roughly how far I can get (based on the Range) and put 32-ish gallons in, I will probably stop pushing the limits.

But, if Range hits 0 and I stop right then and put 32 gallons in, I'll know it's pretty spot-on. If I get to 0 and only put 31 in, I'd probably try pushing it to 10 miles past 0 at some point (when I know I can hit a gas station pretty much immediately if it sputters). That said, I already feel like I have a fairly good feel for mine, and I think 0 to Empty is going to be pretty close to taking 32-ish gallons. Whenever I run it down to that and verify, I'll be satisfied.

If it said 0 to Empty and I still had 5 gallons in there, that would bug the crap outta me.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those stopping at the first time the nozzle shuts off, keep in mind that one of the variables that can affect how much fuel actually entered the tank is the flowback pressures at pump.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 022446 miles.

Roddog2220

Reaction score
For those stopping at the first time the nozzle shuts off, keep in mind that one of the variables that can affect how much fuel actually entered the tank is the flowback pressures at pump.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 022446 miles.

thanks, but been down that road and shouldnt be expected to sit there for several minutes filling up up one click at a time

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
thanks, but been down that road and shouldnt be expected to sit there for several minutes filling up up one click at a time
I think you misunderstood the purpose of my comment.

I was addressing the subject of when the Low Fuel message occurs and how much fuel is still in the tank. The kick-back pressures at various pumps vary enough that at first click-off it is possible that one could get a short fill compared to another pump. This could lead some to believe they had more reserve than they actually did.

My apologies if my message was not clear.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 022473 miles.

Roddog2220

Reaction score
I think you misunderstood the purpose of my comment.

I was addressing the subject of when the Low Fuel message occurs and how much fuel is still in the tank. The kick-back pressures at various pumps vary enough that at first click-off it is possible that one could get a short fill compared to another pump. This could lead some to believe they had more reserve than they actually did.

My apologies if my message was not clear.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 022473 miles.

i understood what you meant, had the truck a year and i can tell that at 21 gallons gas is physically pouring out the tank no matter what pumps or kick back pressures, its off somewhere

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
trust me it does, considering trading it in but I think its just time to rip the dealer a new one

Yeah, I would definitely be plotting a trade-in. It looks like you have a good list of mods, though. That would make it tough.

What do you reckon ripping the dealer a new one is going to do? Just make you feel better? Prelude to getting a good deal on a trade-in for a new one? Get them to swap out the tank for a bigger one?

Roddog2220

Reaction score
Yeah, I would definitely be plotting a trade-in. It looks like you have a good list of mods, though. That would make it tough.

What do you reckon ripping the dealer a new one is going to do? Just make you feel better? Prelude to getting a good deal on a trade-in for a new one? Get them to swap out the tank for a bigger one?

make me feel better?, um no, i go straight to the gm and take him to the gas station on empty and dare him to put anywhere near 23 gallons in it, just havent had time but a little resolve goes a long way when you buy a truck with a 60k plus sticker, last time i had it in i dealt with a guy named bubba, this time everyone in service will be bypassed if i decide to mess with it

harleyboy72

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have the 33 gallon tank and it seems like the truck believes it's a 26 gallon. I went to get gas while the gas light was on filled up with 26 gallons. Does anyone else have this issue?
When I did gas up, I had the max range of about 370 miles which is pretty low for a 33 gallon tank. Even if it's 15 mpg, 15 *33 is 495 miles range?

harleyboy72

Reaction score
I have 2019 Rebel V8. My light went on first time and put in 18.9, manual says warning 1.5 not make since then the mileage showed 270 and most time 350 miles but I don't relay on that auto meter anyway. I think i have the 23 via 26 and wonder the cost to put in the 33. My friend has 1 ton and they installed larger tank and also does not read correct when she gets light she has 4+ gallons this issues I think is aftermarket. If dealer installed would that issue go away/unknown. Am thinking of putting in the 33. I have 10,000 miles on the truck.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So this last weekend I decided to test the 33 gallon tank to see how much reserve it has. According to my math I could have probably driven another 2-3 miles also based on the reserve from the gauge reading that I have researched. So if it is bone dry you can put right at 34 Gallons capacity into the tank and fill nozzle.

Fill up.jpg

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think I'd find another station. Looks like they're charging you for more than you're getting. Got mine into the reserve and drove it with the low fuel notification for about 10 miles. Still had almost 3 gallons left when I filled it.

Fun side note: Using Apple CarPlay, Google Maps prompted me to use the app to find a gas station when the Low Fuel warning popped.

By the way, was that Regular or some other grade? That's a great price/gallon ($1.99 9/10) compared to what I got for Mid-grade a couple of days ago.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
Maybe type your VIN into the online build sheet tool (not sure what the web link is anymore) and verify that you have a 33 gallon tank in your build sheet...

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think I'd find another station. Looks like they're charging you for more than you're getting. Got mine into the reserve and drove it with the low fuel notification for about 10 miles. Still had almost 3 gallons left when I filled it.

Fun side note: Using Apple CarPlay, Google Maps prompted me to use the app to find a gas station when the Low Fuel warning popped.

By the way, was that Regular or some other grade? That's a great price/gallon ($1.99 9/10) compared to what I got for Mid-grade a couple of days ago.

I drove about 55 miles after the low fuel notification (Also Towing so only getting about 9.5MPG), and this was in North Texas on the way down to pick up my new boat. Regular 87 octane in Texas. New boat.jpg

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So this last weekend I decided to test the 33 gallon tank to see how much reserve it has. According to my math I could have probably driven another 2-3 miles also based on the reserve from the gauge reading that I have researched. So if it is bone dry you can put right at 34 Gallons capacity into the tank and fill nozzle.

View attachment 47164
I'm just glad someone else is willing to risk this instead of me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/