5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

31 foot travel trailer

Rickyrocket

Reaction score
I have the 3.21s also 5.7 no etorq it tows my 26' tt just fine, getting 9-11 mpg. Trl weights 5600 w 7600 gvw max. probably around 7000 currently.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From a press release 9 model years ago:

Ram Truck Announces Industry's Broadest Alignment with Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) J2807 Towing Standards Across All Pickup Truck Segments

• Ram Truck is the only full-size pickup truck manufacturer to adopt the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) J2807 towing practices in all three pickup truck segments (1/2-ton, ¾- ton and 1-ton)

• Ram pickup maximum towing capacities unchanged or improved under SAE standardized J2807

• Ram 1500 owns the top positions in pickup fuel economy and SAE affirmed towing capacity for V-6 engines

• Ram 1500 3.0-liter V-6 EcoDiesel with 8-speed transmission combines best-in-class fuel economy of 28 MPG with up to 9,200 lbs. of towing capacity

• Ram 1500 3.6-liter V-6 Pentastar with 8-speed transmission combines best-in-class gasoline engine fuel economy of 25 MPG with 7,600 lbs. of towing capacity

• Ram 1500 offers SAE towing of up to 10,650 lbs. with 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 and exclusive 8-speed transmission

• Ram 2500 Heavy Duty retains the highest level of capability with best-in-class SAE towing of 17,970 lbs. and a payload capacity of 3,970 lbs.

• Largest displacement V-8 in the Heavy Duty segment, 6.4-liter HEMI® delivers best-in-class 410 horsepower and 429 lb.-ft. of torque and features VVT with Fuel Saver cylinder deactivation

• Ram 3500 Heavy Duty is King of the Hill with best-in-class SAE 30,000 lbs. of towing capacity backed by 6.7-liter Cummins Turbo Diesel producing 385 horsepower and 850 lb.-ft. of torque

• All Ram trucks feature an unsurpassed powertrain warranty – five years/100,000 miles

Beginning with the 2015 model year, Ram will become the first automaker to adopt the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) J2807 standardized tow rating practices across all three fullsize pickup truck segments, including the ½-ton Ram 1500, ¾-ton Ram 2500 Heavy Duty and one-ton "King of the Hill" Ram 3500 Heavy Duty.

Ram beats the competition in the two most sought-after titles in the pickup truck market, fuel economy and SAE towing capacity, offering the most capable and most fuel efficient trucks available.

"Because our customers asked for it, every single 2015 model year pickup truck Ram sells will come with a trailer-tow rating achieved using SAE's J2807 testing protocols," said Reid Bigland, President and CEO – Ram Truck Brand. "No other automaker can make that claim."

On the heels of finalized SAE towing specifications that now include trucks up to 14,000 GVWR, Ram has validated its full pickup line with the SAE J2807 Towing Standard – the only truck maker to adopt the standard in all three pickup truck weight classes.

"Ram Truck has been preparing for integration of the SAE towing standard over the past few years and adding heavier ¾ and 1-ton trucks to the criteria gives it more teeth," said Mike Cairns, Director- Ram Truck Engineering, Chrysler Group LLC. "For too long, an uneven playing field existed and towing capacities went unchecked. We're happy to be the only pickup truck manufacturer to align with the SAE J2807 towing standard across our pickup truck line up."

The SAE J2807 towing standard outlines dynamic and performance criteria as it relates to a given vehicle. Examples within the standard include a number of tests while towing: 0-60 MPH time allowance, tackling the notorious Davis Dam Grade while maintaining no less than 40 MPH for single-rear-wheel trucks and 35 MPH for dual-rear-wheel trucks, a constant radius understeer test while increasing speed and a sway maneuver using aggressive steering input. The purpose is to put all trucks through the schedule of tests in which operators will likely see in the real world. SAE standards have existed in a number of other areas including engine torque and horsepower. Ram Truck is the first to adopt the official towing standard for ½-ton, ¾-ton and 1-ton trucks.

2015 Ram SAE J2807 towing capacities:

Ram 1500 V-6 with 3.6-liter gasoline Pentastar – Unsurpassed 7,600 pounds
Ram 1500 V-6 with 3.0-liter EcoDiesel – Best-in-class 9,200 pounds
Ram 1500 V-8 with 5.7-liter gasoline HEMI – 10,650 pounds
Ram 2500 V-8 with 6.4-liter gasoline HEMI – 16,300 pounds
Ram 2500 with 6.7-liter Cummins diesel – Best-in-class 17,970 pounds
Ram 3500 V-8 with 6.4-liter gasoline HEMI – 16,420 pounds
Ram 3500 with 6.7-liter Cummins diesel – Best-in-class 30,000 pounds

Ram Truck Brand
Since its launch as a stand-alone division of Chrysler Group LLC in 2009, the Ram Truck Brand has steadily emerged as an industry leader with one goal: to build the best pickup trucks and commercial vehicles in the industry.

Creating a distinct identity for Ram Trucks has allowed the brand to concentrate on core customers and features they find valuable. Whether focusing on a family that uses a Ram 1500 day in and day out, a hard-working Ram 3500 Heavy Duty owner or a business that depends on its Ram ProMaster commercial van every day for deliveries, Ram has the truck market covered.

In order to be the best, it takes a commitment to innovation, capability, efficiency and durability. Ram Truck continues to invest substantially in its products, infusing them with great looks, refined interiors, durable engines and exclusive features that further enhance their capabilities.

Moving into the 2015 model year, Ram continues to beat the competition in the two most sought-after titles, fuel economy and towing capacity.
• Best-in-class fuel economy with exclusive EcoDiesel - 28 mpg with Ram 1500
• Best-in-class towing capability - 30,000 pounds with Ram 3500

Truck customers, from half-ton to commercial, have a demanding range of needs and require their vehicles to provide high levels of capability. Ram trucks are designed to deliver a total package.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Here you go.

All modern trucks are tested with the same set of rules, hence they all can and will tow what they are rated to tow safely and securely.

I would suggest to pay a lot of attention to maximum frontal area specs for these Ram 1500 trucks as well as their midsize cousins. I tow a 8.5x20 enclosed trailer set up for camping and hauling two utility ATVs. I do have the 3.21 axle (which SUCKS) and 35" tires which also doesn't help. But the truck struggles and runs in 4th and 5th gear constantly, with 3rd going up hills. I see around 7 MPG if the weather is good. It's miserable. Handling is perfect because I have the Centerline TS hitch. Braking is perfect because 5th Gen trucks have HUGE brakes, plus the trailer has it's own. It's the going and maintaining 55 MPH that sucks. The Hemi drinks fuel like it's sponsored by OPEC.

You're half a foot wider than my RV, little shorter, but I bet mine rides higher. Anyway, I'm a little surprised by your comments, because I can get 8 to 12 MPG (depending on head/tail wind), and normally my truck hunkers down in 6th and just cruises for miles. I use the gear limiter to lock out 7th because it will upshift often enough I just prefer the higher RPMs.

Hills will definitely downshift, just the nature of any N/A gasser.

I'm not sure you're going to find a much better experience in any other N/A gas truck, unless you go super duty with the 7.3 or GM 6.6 but even those will rev higher up.

You should probably just bite the bullet and go for a SO cummins in a 2500. All that sweet low end torque, and even with reduced payload (vs gasser 2500) you'd still end up with several hundred pounds more than your current truck.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You're half a foot wider than my RV, little shorter, but I bet mine rides higher. Anyway, I'm a little surprised by your comments, because I can get 8 to 12 MPG (depending on head/tail wind), and normally my truck hunkers down in 6th and just cruises for miles. I use the gear limiter to lock out 7th because it will upshift often enough I just prefer the higher RPMs.

Hills will definitely downshift, just the nature of any N/A gasser.

I'm not sure you're going to find a much better experience in any other N/A gas truck, unless you go super duty with the 7.3 or GM 6.6 but even those will rev higher up.

You should probably just bite the bullet and go for a SO cummins in a 2500. All that sweet low end torque, and even with reduced payload (vs gasser 2500) you'd still end up with several hundred pounds more than your current truck.

Personally, I'm shopping 3500 and 4500 trucks. If I'm going to sacrifice a smooth ride and garagability, then I'm going all out so I'll never wish for more capacity ever again.

The question is, a big gas V8 with 4.10/4.30 axle, or a diesel with it's $9k higher price and much higher maintenance costs and it's inability to be worked on at home? Hmmmm......

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Personally, I'm shopping 3500 and 4500 trucks. If I'm going to sacrifice a smooth ride and garagability, then I'm going all out so I'll never wish for more capacity ever again.

The question is, a big gas V8 with 4.10/4.30 axle, or a diesel with it's $9k higher price and much higher maintenance costs and it's inability to be worked on at home? Hmmmm......
Diesel should in theory have slightly lower upkeep costs like gas price and stuff. Weather you do the math and determine how many miles that break even might then I wouldn't know.

They don't make them like they used to though and I feel like the huge bonuses of a diesel vs gas is decreasing when it comes to consumer vehicles unless it is towing 24/7.

I have never owned a diesel so take what I say with a grain of salt.

silver billet

Reaction score
The math is far more in favour of diesel than most realize. You get hit up front by the initial cost, but you get it back the second you sell it (or a percentage of it based on years you've owned it and been enjoying it all that time).

But it's not always about the math, sometimes you're just willing to pay for that low down effortless torque.

I like the sound of a gas working hard, that doesn't bother me in the slightest. But I would also enjoy a diesel even more. The main thing that turns me off on diesel is getting stuck with my trailer in some two bit town with no diesel mechanic in sight. Gas mechanics can be found everywhere, but the availability of good diesel mechanics is harder to find and you probably wait longer.

Basically: I'd love to drive a diesel. But I'd rather own a gas.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I like the sound of a gas working hard, that doesn't bother me in the slightest. But I would also enjoy a diesel even more. The main thing that turns me off on diesel is getting stuck with my trailer in some two bit town with no diesel mechanic in sight. Gas mechanics can be found everywhere, but the availability of good diesel mechanics is harder to find and you probably wait longer.
I have seen people who get turned away at Ram dealerships after buying a diesel too.

Rickyrocket

Reaction score
I had a 2016 ram 2500 6.4 4.10 gears, awesome truck but got 11 mpg on the highway driving like Granny. totally empty, never towed with it it sucked down that premium quickly.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Let us know what you decide on after your research and shopping please.
I am personally interested in getting back into a 3500 diesel. I am enjoying the gas and 1500 for now though.

Davidbt

Reaction score
I had a 2016 ram 2500 6.4 4.10 gears, awesome truck but got 11 mpg on the highway driving like Granny. totally empty, never towed with it it sucked down that premium quickly.
That's the one thing that would keep me out of a 2500 6.4 is the overall gas mileage. My 3500 SO 6.7 crew cab single wheel Ram only averaged around 16 mpg. I really enjoy my 1500 5.7 Big Horn. It's the first V-8 I've owned for about 20 years.

Ram12375

Reaction score
What's the mpg on the ram 2500 diesel. I keep seeing it actually gets 1 mpg less (highway) than the gasser. I've seen this for the chevy 2500 as well while the ford 2500 diesel gets great mileage compared to it's 2500 gasser. Am I missing something? No way I'd pay 10k more for a diesel to get the same or worse mileage and paying more at the pump. I was thinking the diesels would average around 20 mpg.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What's the mpg on the ram 2500 diesel. I keep seeing it actually gets 1 mpg less (highway) than the gasser. I've seen this for the chevy 2500 as well while the ford 2500 diesel gets great mileage compared to it's 2500 gasser. Am I missing something? No way I'd pay 10k more for a diesel to get the same or worse mileage and paying more at the pump. I was thinking the diesels would average around 20 mpg.

Yep!

I like Fuelly.com because it gives millions of combined miles of real world data from guys who actually own the trucks. The last time I checked, the Cummins diesel was averaging about 15.5 in the real world. Looks like the 6.4L Hemi is running around 12 MPG. Many millions of miles of combined data, so it should be averaging out to be very accurate.

So 3.5 MPG difference between diesel and gas. BUT, when you toss in the difference in price between diesel and 87 octane gas (again, using national averages) there is zero difference in cost to run either engine.

So then people say, well the diesel has higher resale value. Well, yes it does but you paid $10k more upfront for it so you didn't gain anything.

And then you factor in the 3 gallons of oil the diesel needs (and it's best NOT to do 15k intervals), the extra filters, the DEF, etc. etc. and the diesel suddenly costs you more money to operate.

So I just think that unless a guy is pulling 15,000 lbs. or more around all the time, it doesn't make any sense to go diesel. But, if a deal popped up on one that I couldn't refuse, I'd still buy one I think.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The math is far more in favour of diesel than most realize. You get hit up front by the initial cost, but you get it back the second you sell it (or a percentage of it based on years you've owned it and been enjoying it all that time).

But it's not always about the math, sometimes you're just willing to pay for that low down effortless torque.

Basically: I'd love to drive a diesel. But I'd rather own a gas.

I do love the sound and grunt of a diesel over the gas.

However, the DEF system with its limitations and its limp modes suck.
Also, I don’t care what anyone’s says, Having to keep up with, and fill the DEF tank sucks also.
I understand got to do what ya got to do.

Also the stinky A$$ fuel treatments blow.

That’s why I’m looking for a 3rd gen 3500 2004 - 2007.5 manual trans. Dodge Cummins. Most are worn and ragged out. Anyone with one let me know.

Last edited:

Hofkamp

Reaction score
I just traded in a 38’ total length TT for a 31’ that was 2 years newer.

Old camper:
Weight
Dry Weight
6,752 lbs.
Payload Capacity
2,898 lbs.
GVWR
9,650 lbs.
Hitch Weight
850 lbs.
2018 CrossRoads Sunset Trail Super Lite SS336BH specs and literature guide

It accelerated and stopped just fine. Sway got out of control on interstates driving above 65. Not recommended for long hauls, semi’s push it all over the place. Stability control kicked in when I was intentionally pushing it to see the limit at 70-75. It was good for local pulls within 100-200 miles from home.

New camper:
Weight
Dry Weight
5,854 lbs.
Payload Capacity
1,828 lbs.
Hitch Weight
682 lbs.

The smaller one is much more manageable and pulls a lot better. More controlled and doesn’t sway. Weight distribution hitches on both. Id love to upgrade to a 3/4 or 1 ton truck but I can’t bring myself to get rid of a truck that gets 30mpg on its own. I’m impressed I can get 20mpg with the new camper at 60mpg. Hope this helps
I also have the 2021 eco
I just traded in a 38’ total length TT for a 31’ that was 2 years newer.

Old camper:
Weight
Dry Weight
6,752 lbs.
Payload Capacity
2,898 lbs.
GVWR
9,650 lbs.
Hitch Weight
850 lbs.
2018 CrossRoads Sunset Trail Super Lite SS336BH specs and literature guide

It accelerated and stopped just fine. Sway got out of control on interstates driving above 65. Not recommended for long hauls, semi’s push it all over the place. Stability control kicked in when I was intentionally pushing it to see the limit at 70-75. It was good for local pulls within 100-200 miles from home.

New camper:
Weight
Dry Weight
5,854 lbs.
Payload Capacity
1,828 lbs.
Hitch Weight
682 lbs.

The smaller one is much more manageable and pulls a lot better. More controlled and doesn’t sway. Weight distribution hitches on both. Id love to upgrade to a 3/4 or 1 ton truck but I can’t bring myself to get rid of a truck that gets 30mpg on its own. I’m impressed I can get 20mpg with the new camper at 60mpg. Hope this helps
I also drive the 2021 1500 DT, EcoDiesel, and i pull a 30 travel trailer / toy hauler. I added the Air lift Model 5000 suspension system, now that I can adjust the sag out of the pull it handles beautifully.

silver billet

Reaction score
The 6.4 SRT is premium, the 6.4 BGE found in the 2500 is regular like the 5.7.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No it isn't. It's 87 octane acceptable, 89 recommended just like the 5.7 engine. Most guys run 87.
No it isn’t. It’s just 87 recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread