5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3000 miles and everything has stopped working

flyingron

Reaction score
Today I rolled over 3000 on the do and a bunch of things happened:
1. Check engine light is on
2. Stability control light is on.
3. ACC and forward collision warnings show errors
4. I get messages saying to Service various things related to the above when I try to use them.

flyingron

Reaction score
No sign anywhere else of alternator problem. It seems odd that it suddenly popped up when it rolled over 3000.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seriously, it might run fine, and the battery might get enough juice to charge, but voltage spikes or dips play hell with all those electronics. They are very sensitive to such things. If you have multiple 'failures' all at once the charging system would be suspect #1. I'd take it in.

I don't see anything in your sig about what truck you have, but if you've got an eTorque you also have the whole 48v system to consider too. Although I'd think that would be isolated from the 12v systems.

Last edited:

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just went over 22K, and the same thing. Lit up like a x-mass tree. New battery (Less Schwab AGM), and all is well. Been acting up a little lately, so knew what it was and that battery was on last leg.

RangerZ

Reaction score
Just went over 22K, and the same thing. Lit up like a x-mass tree. New battery (Less Schwab AGM), and all is well. Been acting up a little lately, so knew what it was and that battery was on last leg.
Dang new battery at 22k?? I just changed the battery in my Yukon. It was 9 years old. Always got 6 years or more on all my trucks. Hoping I won’t be installing a battery on my ram in less than 2 years

flyingron

Reaction score
Yeah, I have to find a different stealership service department after the corrupt tonneau cover incident.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yeah, I have to find a different stealership service department after the corrupt tonneau cover incident.

If you are in need of any additional support while addressing this with your dealer, please do not hesitate to follow up with us via private message. I would be happy to escalate a case on your behalf.

Mark
RamCares

flyingron

Reaction score
Now the trailer brakes are reporting "needs service." I've got an appointment scheduled Monday with a different dealer than that outright unconscionable fraudulent one that I bought my truck from. Hopefully, this experience will change my opinion about the disaster that my FCM purchase has been so far. Frankly, I am a bit browned for at the absolute **** m,y dealer and corporate has foisted on me so far. It's a good product but the people I've dealt with so far indicate they don't care other than to rip off the customer.

Last edited:

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your troubles Ron. I hope you find a competent dealer and are back on the road soon.

flyingron

Reaction score
Suposedly it is fixed, though I don't have any indication that this is a permanent solution. The service summary reads:

Performed diagnostics, found codes:
U1440 Implausible transfer case ration high received
U0418 Implausible data received from brake system control module 1
U040300 Implausible data received from transfer case
U041500 Implausible data received from anti lock breaks system abs control module.

Found STAR case S2008000015. Cleared all DTCS per STAR case. Cycled transfer case into various mode positions, and codes did not reset.
Checked front axle disconnect, transfer case and drive train disconnect to DTCM. Road tested vehicle and no codes reset.|

So essentially, reboot the controller and clear the codes and hope it doesn't return.

Last edited:

flyingron

Reaction score
Amazing what a little googling will do, here's the STAR case...
STAR 2008000015

It was pouring down rain the day this happened and there were some pretty sizable puddles. I wonder if one of the wiring harnesses got wet. If so, it doesn't bode to well for Ram quality of construction.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Amazing what a little googling will do, here's the STAR case...
STAR 2008000015

It was pouring down rain the day this happened and there were some pretty sizable puddles. I wonder if one of the wiring harnesses got wet. If so, it doesn't bode to well for Ram quality of construction.
Lots of us have put many miles on these trucks in all kinds of severe weather conditions with no issues.

flyingron

Reaction score
Lucky for you. It seems several of them have failed like mine (there are several complaints referencing this STAR on the NHTSA site). I guess I'm just glad that I wasn't pulling a trailer when the thing decided to give up the ghost on the trailer brakes (I did verify that they no longer worked with this fault), or use the other safety features I paid a substantial premium to get on my truck.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lucky for you. It seems several of them have failed like mine (there are several complaints referencing this STAR on the NHTSA site). I guess I'm just glad that I wasn't pulling a trailer when the thing decided to give up the ghost on the trailer brakes (I did verify that they no longer worked with this fault), or use the other safety features I paid a substantial premium to get on my truck.
Not lucky Ron, there are hundreds of thousands of these trucks that do not have issues.
I had a 2016 F-150 Platinum with a host of problems including a stereo system that would not play any audio from any source, IWE hubs that were constantly grinding, and my favorite, door locks that would freeze so you couldn't even get into the vehicle. But there are many F-150 owners that have no issues either. Lots of TSBs and recalls on that truck too. All manufactures build some lemons, all of them.

flyingron

Reaction score
That's little consolation to someone who is stuck with one of the lemons.

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
same clues all happened to me Rear Tire Speed sensor was shot, there elec stability
control, no 4x4. etc all fixed by dealer on the arm

flyingron

Reaction score
Unfortunately, clearing the codes and "rebooting the controller" doesn't imply a "fix." 43 years in the computer industry doesn't allow me to believe that.

Users who are viewing this thread