5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.6 "feel" related to sound deadening?

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
So, just a little bit of a side story - last summer I purchased a Corsa cat back exhaust for the truck, and quickly realized it was way too loud on its own for a V6 (the kit is technically designed for the V8). It’s been in a box for the last 6+ months while I’ve been fighting Chrysler on this vibration/drone issue. After buying the resonator from Borla and the auger and using it on the stock exhaust, I thought I’d toss back on the Corsa exhaust and see what happened. I’ve been tinkering with the exhaust about every day for the last couple weeks, what could it hurt?

Well, to my surprise? (Not surprised?) the Corsa kit sounds great, and the vibration is gone in the steering wheel and I’m currently only feeling it in the gas pedal. I’m beginning to wonder if the exhaust drone and vibration is being caused by the stock exhaust/muffler. I wonder why Chrysler used the single out exhaust on the V6 gas and not the dual exhaust like the 5.7 and ecoDiesel. I wish I could talk to someone a FCA to ask.

I don’t expect that everyone will want to spend $1000 on a Corsa cat back, but I thought I would share the findings and my thoughts...

Last edited:

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
Update - I ordered a few of these guys today. My home made damper was a bit unwieldy and these are a little more civilized. I bought 8 so I’ll going to clamp them all over to see what happens. Haha. I’m bound to stumble on the 100% fix for this. Or maybe FCA is watching and will employ some of their resources to help their customers.

In any event, I should have them in about a week. In the meantime, I’m enjoying a little warmer weather which seems to soften the buzz independent of any modifications.

Toyota Exhaust Damper - 17581-31010

1A8A8F2F-8FF2-45F8-91A0-51199CD3076B.jpeg

mkelly4512

Reaction score
Yeah probably won't be getting a new exhaust soon! Would you say that the auger was the most noticeable change outside of the cat back?

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
Yeah probably won't be getting a new exhaust soon! Would you say that the auger was the most noticeable change outside of the cat back?
Yeah, for sure. I think the auger + weights in the right spot on the pipes/frame will be the best bang for your buck. Even eliminating the vibration 50% - 75% is a win.

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
Hi guys - I tried to put up a good fight and help those that are experiencing the droning and vibration with their 3.6L Rams, but I couldn’t take it anymore and had to sell the truck. With trade in prices where they are I’m sure you guys can walk away with little or no financial hit. Stellantis or FCA or whatever needs to figure this out or stop offering the 3.6L with 3.21 gears and 4x4 as an option. It’s bait and switch on the MPGs. The 2021 HEMI I purchased gets the same if not better MPG and drives infinitely smoother. The window sticker MPG is a joke. I’m sure those with the 3.6L and 2WD and the 3.55 gears are happy...

Anyway just to give some closure to you guys. Appreciate the following... hope someone can pickup where I left off.

jkumpeli

Reaction score
Hi guys - I tried to put up a good fight and help those that are experiencing the droning and vibration with their 3.6L Rams, but I couldn’t take it anymore and had to sell the truck. With trade in prices where they are I’m sure you guys can walk away with little or no financial hit. Stellantis or FCA or whatever needs to figure this out or stop offering the 3.6L with 3.21 gears and 4x4 as an option. It’s bait and switch on the MPGs. The 2021 HEMI I purchased gets the same if not better MPG and drives infinitely smoother. The window sticker MPG is a joke. I’m sure those with the 3.6L and 2WD and the 3.55 gears are happy...

Anyway just to give some closure to you guys. Appreciate the following... hope someone can pickup where I left off.
hey thanks for your efforts! Looks like I'm stuck with this truck and this annoying issue, hopefully it doesn't cause any future damage....my 1st RAM...so disappointing!

Badlilhemi

Reaction score
Dang was hoping to see the results.. I know this is old but my 2024 hemi has a light buzz in the gas pedal and steering wheel mostly at lower speeds and is worse in the morning when its cold I noticed. I was one that found a fix for the 2004 era hemi vibration at a stop light. Would shake my dash and was felt in every new truck I test drove comparing the issue. Simple mount welded from exhaust to top of transmission mount resolved 80% of the issue.. Kinda wonder if its similar but its for sure a harmonics issue.. its a fast buzz.

PeterTX

Reaction score
Nice! I tried a bolt on resonator and it’s much quieter but I still feel the buzz at 2000 RPM in the wheel and pedals and seat. Bummer. It was worth a shot! Thanks for sharing.
My 23 Big Horn 3.6L was quiet last summer but once the cold weather + winter gas hit I have the dread 2000 RPM growl. Are those resonators hard to install?

Users who are viewing this thread