5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.6 "feel" related to sound deadening?

Usmc0311

Reaction score
I can't understand how its "operating as designed." I've borrowed friends trucks with 190,000 miles on them and its been more of a quiet ride.

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
Im very frustrated, but don’t want to lose upwards to 10k trading it in and buying another. I’m trying a K&N intake as a long shot (others have said it helps with reducing vibration at 2000 RPM), and adding the V6 diesel steering wheel damper behind the air bag - to reduce the vibrations at the wheel. I’m also told that there is a damper on the V6 diesel at the front differential. I’m having trouble finding that part but will likely try that as well when I do find it. The diesel also has a transfer case damper but we can’t bolt that to the gas V6 transfer case.

Usmc0311

Reaction score
Im very frustrated, but don’t want to lose upwards to 10k trading it in and buying another. I’m trying a K&N intake as a long shot (others have said it helps with reducing vibration at 2000 RPM), and adding the V6 diesel steering wheel damper behind the air bag - to reduce the vibrations at the wheel. I’m also told that there is a damper on the V6 diesel at the front differential. I’m having trouble finding that part but will likely try that as well when I do find it. The diesel also has a transfer case damper but we can’t bolt that to the gas V6 transfer case.
My truck went into the shop about 3 months ago for the check engine light being on. They said the damper that opens on acceleration was stuck so i figured that wouldve fixed the humm but i guess not.

emwaybatani

Reaction score
I have two vehicles. A 2019 Ram with the V6 and a little BMW convertible with a 3 liter straight 6. If I am turning 3K rpm in the convertible I don't hardly hear the engine. I am always between 2,000 and 3,000 rpm om the highway. I've even cruised for over 50 miles in 4th (of a 6 speed) at 70mph before. I was tired and not terribly attentive but it is pretty quiet. My Ram is under 2,000rpm cruising at 70 mph but a steep hill can cause it to downshift and turn a little over 2,000 rpm. That is noticable. But it isn't really working all that hard, but it kind of sounds like it is.omegle webcam chatiw bazoocams

I think a good part of why some object to the V6 is the noticable sound from the engine when cruising. I think Ram has the sound deadening tuned to the more torquey V8. Does that make sense? I don't think my Ram is underpowered but the noticable downshifts may create a different impression.
I've been trying to figure out this humming for over a year now. I owned a lifted jeep with mud tires that was more quiet than this truck. I finally had a guy from a muffler shop take a test drive with me and he could definitely here the drone noise. He said he would add a resonator to quiet the drone down. I will update when installed.

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
A couple of us have added resonators on the straight pipe just before the muffler - it definitely helps quiet the ride. However, you’ll find the vibration still persists in the drivers seat.

The exhaust resonates at around 2000 RPM and I believe the only way to dampen is to clamp some heavy weights to disrupt the vibration. I’m going to try that today and will let you guys know if I make progress. I’m going to try and clamp a weight below the drivers seat and see what happens.

Last edited:

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
Alright, guys - I think I (mostly) solved our problems. After trying a handful of things - I think this is the solution.

In the picture below, you'll see that I clamped a damper weight on the Y- Pipe right in the bend, underneath the drivers seat. I found these frame dampers that were installed on the 4th gens, thought they might be effective as an exhaust damper, and I ordered one.

I knocked out the bolts that are set in the damper with a hammer, and then used the mounting holes to attach them to standard 2.25" exhaust C clamps. You clamp this damper weight to the exhaust with 2 clamps. You'll immediately notice that the vibration is reduced in the 1800-2000 RPM range.

I'm going to buy a couple more and clamp one on the other side of the Y-Pipe under the passenger seat, and then get some 3" clamps and put another one by the muffler.

In my earlier troubleshooting, I installed a resonator ahead of the muffler (I got the clamp on Borla resonator). I also installed the steering wheel damper (https://www.mymoparparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-steering-wheel-damper-68447596aa) behind the airbag. That damper is installed the V6 diesel from the factory, but not on the gas V6.

I hope this is helpful, and you guys give it a try!

Exhaust Damper.jpg

Last edited:

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
I should also add that the vibration is definitely more noticeable when it’s cold, you guys probably already realize that. I’m going to reposition the damper and keep trying a few other things as the vibrations are still present. Not sure how to get rid of the vibrations out of the front axle as the motor is mounted to it. The “fun” continues!

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
Yeah, it was colder today and my exhaust damper wasn’t as effective. I loosened all the exhaust clamps/joints and retightened when the exhaust was warm to try and help adjust and reduce vibrations. I really need to figure out how to reduce the vibrations transferring from the motor to the front differential. The motor, to the front diff, to the wheel hubs and back up the steering gear - causing vibration on the wheel, pedal and floor. It might not be something that can be fixed, but I’m going to try.

dearchristopher

Reaction score
its going to seem like low-hanging fruit, but have you checked all of the motor mounts? i know its unlikely that they are worn out, but i would give each of them a once over to make sure they’re all good to go. failing motor mounts cause very strange vibrations.

your exhaust damper idea was ingenuous. hopefully you get that lined out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mkelly4512

Reaction score
Yeah, it was colder today and my exhaust damper wasn’t as effective. I loosened all the exhaust clamps/joints and retightened when the exhaust was warm to try and help adjust and reduce vibrations. I really need to figure out how to reduce the vibrations transferring from the motor to the front differential. The motor, to the front diff, to the wheel hubs and back up the steering gear - causing vibration on the wheel, pedal and floor. It might not be something that can be fixed, but I’m going to try.
Do you think the damper is vibrating loose with those style clamps? I just see some daylight on the clamps where it isn't fully wrapping the pipe. Possibly use a style that wraps/hugs the entire circumference of the pipe like the style you have on your clamp on resonator to give it a nice snug fit? I'm following this and hoping you find a solution that at least makes it less noticeable if not alleviates the vibration all together!

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
Yeah, you’re right a band clamp would likely be a better choice... I can try that as well! I’m going to try and see if the front axle or the steering assembly in the front end can be dampened. I’m not sure I’d know if I had a bad motor mount - the dealership said they were “fine”. But who knows...

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
So today I decided to remove the tow hooks on the front of the truck, as I could feel a buzz in them when the truck was idling and revved to the dreaded 2000 RPM. Reinstalled the plastic inserts and tightened the mounting bolt back to 85lbs. I also checked/tightened the nuts where the running boards mount, and the bottom of the running boards. I was going to take them off for testing, but I like them too much. Ugh. I did notice a very small vibration in them as well. Removing the tow hooks seemed to help, as the front end vibrates quite a bit, seemingly transferred from the frame, into the body.

I think I eliminated that the intake tube as a contributor the problem. I drove around again with it off, and no real change in vibration.

I also might have eliminated the front axle transferring vibration through the wheel hubs back to steering - I couldn't feel any vibration in the steering gear at 2000 RPM. So, it would seem the wheel is vibrating due to it being transferred from the body/firewall.

I also removed the resonator I installed, and reinstalled the factory mid pipe. While the exhaust is a bit louder, the vibration isn't really more pronounced. So, I don't think the resonator is helping reduce vibrations.

Next, I might see what I can do in the driver's knee well to dampen/isolate the steering column and pedal from the body/firewall... It's going to be warmer here tomorrow, and then this weekend - so I'm expecting the vibration to lessen due to air temperature as well. Might affect my testing...

Last edited:

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
Just a quick update - I moved my home made exhaust damper to the bend in the Y pipe that underneath the passenger seat. That seems to be more effective than under the drivers seat. But, I think I’m going to need one on each side. I also plan on mounting 2 to the frame - at the same mounting points the HEMI frame dameners are located. Grrr - why didn’t they just put them on the V6 as well? Shrug. Anyway, with some L brackets I should be able to make it work. Progress!

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
Okay, so today I took a different approach and tried one of those auger style mufflers you can buy on Amazon to see if it would help reduce the noise/vibration. I was nervous that it would be to restrictive - but it has considerably reduced exhaust noise and vibration - not eliminated, but better. And this might be the placebo affect, but the truck seems to be a little more responsive in the low end? More driving/testing needed...

Last edited:

mkelly4512

Reaction score
Okay, so today I took a different approach and tried one of those auger style mufflers you can buy on Amazon to see if it would help reduce the noise/vibration. I was nervous that it would be to restrictive - but it has considerably reduced exhaust noise and vibration - not eliminated, but better. And this might be the placebo affect, but the truck seems to be a little more responsive in the low end? More driving/testing needed...
What exactly was the one you used and where/how did you place it? Just trying to get an idea to decide if it's something I would try. Obviously will wait to see what time will bring with more testing of this configuration before making any decisions. Thanks!

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
This is the one I purchased.

Patriot Exhaust H3844 Side Tube Muffler Insert https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XH6V2...abc_82HWXC3BXZA83XNHHADJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I took off the pipe bolts to the muffler and tapped it in that pipe with a hammer. It took some patience to get it in there just right, and not in there far enough that I wouldn’t be able to take it out, if needed. It’s a snug fit, I don’t think it’ll move, or need any spot welds.

initial findings are promising. Crossing my fingers this is a good solution. Cheapest of all things I’ve tried thus far.

Last edited:

mkelly4512

Reaction score
This is the one I purchased.

I took off the pipe bolts to the muffler and tapped it in that pipe with a hammer. It took some patience to get it in there just right, and not in there far enough that I wouldn’t be able to take it out, if needed. It’s a snug fit, I don’t think it’ll move, or need any spot welds.

initial findings are promising. Crossing my fingers this is a good solution. Cheapest of all things I’ve tried thus far.
Awesome. Thanks for the info! I was getting a little nervous when people online were cutting into their exhausts and welding etc to install these but seems pretty straight forward to install in the RAM exhaust. Hoping it proves to be a good solution to at least make it less noticeable! Drove into a pretty stiff headwind this weekend on the highway and what do ya know... right at 2k RPM the entire trip 😩

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
I feel your pain - I do like this truck aside from the buzz/vibration. I think the exhaust is to blame for some but I also believe the driveline is contributing - I just don’t know where to start with that. With mine, even when at idle the intake and front axle have a significant vibration. The steering wheel damper does help reduce the feeling in the wheel, and adjusting the seat and pedals a bit can reduce the feeling there as well.

mkelly4512

Reaction score
I feel your pain - I do like this truck aside from the buzz/vibration. I think the exhaust is to blame for some but I also believe the driveline is contributing - I just don’t know where to start with that. With mine, even when at idle the intake and front axle have a significant vibration. The steering wheel damper does help reduce the feeling in the wheel, and adjusting the seat and pedals a bit can reduce the feeling there as well.
Yeah, so far I think my main problem is the exhaust vibrations. It idles just fine and I only hear and feel the vibrations in the pedal and floor at the 2k RPM. May just order the auger muffler since it's cheap and see if it helps. Thanks for all your troubleshooting!

Users who are viewing this thread