5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.6 "feel" related to sound deadening?

JimD007

Reaction score
I have two vehicles. A 2019 Ram with the V6 and a little BMW convertible with a 3 liter straight 6. If I am turning 3K rpm in the convertible I don't hardly hear the engine. I am always between 2,000 and 3,000 rpm om the highway. I've even cruised for over 50 miles in 4th (of a 6 speed) at 70mph before. I was tired and not terribly attentive but it is pretty quiet. My Ram is under 2,000rpm cruising at 70 mph but a steep hill can cause it to downshift and turn a little over 2,000 rpm. That is noticable. But it isn't really working all that hard, but it kind of sounds like it is.

I think a good part of why some object to the V6 is the noticable sound from the engine when cruising. I think Ram has the sound deadening tuned to the more torquey V8. Does that make sense? I don't think my Ram is underpowered but the noticable downshifts may create a different impression.

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
My 3.6L Big Horn is extremely loud around 2000 RPM and in that RPM range the truck vibrates - gas pedal, steering wheel, floor, drivers seat. It’s very fatiguing when cruising in that range, and is very obnoxious when accelerating and shifting through that range up to 8th. I do not believe this to be normal nor acceptable. I’ve driven several 3.6L equipped vehicles, none exhibit this behavior.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 3.6L Big Horn is extremely loud around 2000 RPM and in that RPM range the truck vibrates - gas pedal, steering wheel, floor, drivers seat. It’s very fatiguing when cruising in that range, and is very obnoxious when accelerating and shifting through that range up to 8th. I do not believe this to be normal nor acceptable. I’ve driven several 3.6L equipped vehicles, none exhibit this behavior.
I'm thinking that maybe RAM does not insulate the 3.6 RAMS as well as the Hemis. I had a 3.6 Wrangler and it was a bit noisy at higher RPM levels. I also had a 3.6 Journey that was very quiet no matter the RPMs. The 3.6 is a pretty good engine; but it is not necessarily a quiet engine.

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
For me, it feels like maybe an exhaust leak, or drone. Running stock exhaust, so not sure... I don’t know what would else could cause vibration at the specific RPM. Everything above and below 2000 is quiet and smooth. No vibrations or buzzing. Very odd.

Last edited:

Usmc0311

Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out this humming for over a year now. I owned a lifted jeep with mud tires that was more quiet than this truck. I finally had a guy from a muffler shop take a test drive with me and he could definitely here the drone noise. He said he would add a resonator to quiet the drone down. I will update when installed.

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out this humming for over a year now. I owned a lifted jeep with mud tires that was more quiet than this truck. I finally had a guy from a muffler shop take a test drive with me and he could definitely here the drone noise. He said he would add a resonator to quiet the drone down. I will update when installed.

Do you feel any vibrations? Using a db meter, it registers 6 additional db noise in the cab @ 2000 RPM compared to noise level just under and just over that RPM. Vibrations are also felt in the gas pedal, steering wheel, floor, and drivers seat.

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
Interesting! The 3.6L does have a resonator at the rear, near the exit. Where was your muffler guy going to add a resonator? Upstream of the muffler?

I was wondering if maybe there is an exhaust leak somewhere, maybe near the cats or something... I will be very interested to hear the outcome! Thanks for sharing.

Usmc0311

Reaction score
Interesting! The 3.6L does have a resonator at the rear, near the exit. Where was your muffler guy going to add a resonator? Upstream of the muffler?

I was wondering if maybe there is an exhaust leak somewhere, maybe near the cats or something... I will be very interested to hear the outcome! Thanks for sharing.
He said he has room before the muffler and maybe another one further up towards the driver/passenger seat. I've brought it to the dealee formoil changes and I've had them check for an exhaust leak also. That's the only way I can describe the noise.

Usmc0311

Reaction score
Update** the resonator was installed this morning and there is definitely a significant different especially going up hills and acceleration from a stop. In the end I get it's a v6 but the $190 was worth it to quiet the inside of the can down in my opinion.

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
Update** the resonator was installed this morning and there is definitely a significant different especially going up hills and acceleration from a stop. In the end I get it's a v6 but the $190 was worth it to quiet the inside of the can down in my opinion.
Good news! So, is it quieter at all RPM levels including 2000? Have the vibrations gone down as well? Do you mind sharing a picture?

Usmc0311

Reaction score
Good news! So, is it quieter at all RPM levels including 2000? Have the vibrations gone down as well? Do you mind sharing a picture?
Definitely more quiet, the guy told me that's pretty much my only option.

Attachments

• 16033890300912957791956622310126.jpg
    16033890300912957791956622310126.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 68

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
Definitely more quiet, the guy told me that's pretty much my only option.
Nice! I tried a bolt on resonator and it’s much quieter but I still feel the buzz at 2000 RPM in the wheel and pedals and seat. Bummer. It was worth a shot! Thanks for sharing.

Usmc0311

Reaction score
Nice! I tried a bolt on resonator and it’s much quieter but I still feel the buzz at 2000 RPM in the wheel and pedals and seat. Bummer. It was worth a shot! Thanks for sharing.
If you do anything else to help the sound let me know.

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
If you do anything else to help the sound let me know.

I tried an aftermarket air filter and it seemed to change the resonance and reduce the vibration/noise a bit. Worth a try for $40.

AEM 28-20247 DryFlow Air Filter

Boston

Reaction score

Sounds like what is called “Body Boom” where the vibrations just so happens to trigger an audible sound from the body.

So the NVH engineers have work to do.

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
Sounds like what is called “Body Boom” where the vibrations just so happens to trigger an audible sound from the body.

So the NVH engineers have work to do.
Yeah, I'm not sure exactly where it's coming from, but the engine in my truck definitely vibrates a whole heck of a lot while idling, including the driveline. All the motor and transmission and body mounts look good - nothing touching as I can tell, and the heat shields are all secure. The increased vibration/noise in the cab is only experienced when the engine is under load/in gear - not while in P/N.

I stumbled across this post on another forum, as I experience a surge when accelerating when the truck is cold, and bump/clunk when shifting into Drive and when at stop lights. Off to a different dealer this week, as the 1st said there was nothing wrong and this is normal behavior. :cautious:

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
I think I figured out where the source of the vibrations @ 2000 RPM in my truck are coming from - the front transfer case. I needed to switch into 4HI this past week and after a bit of driving, the vibrations reduced. After switching back to 2WD the vibration returned. I don’t know the mechanics of how the front transfer case works in 2WD vs 4WD, but I wonder if something is out of balance, maybe?

That would at least explain why those with 2WD only don’t experience the issue... Hmmm

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
Just an update - I’ve worked though another FCA Customer Care case only to be told that the V6 vibration felt in the steering wheel and pedal are characteristics of the vehicle and the vehicle is operating as designed. I’ve received no customer support on the issue and have been told to go away each time. I hope that those with the issue keep working to a solution. It’s really too bad as the truck I purchased is very nice aside from this issue and it’s tough to look past something that affects the comfort of the ride. There’s just not enough V6 Rams out there to have FCA care to do anything about it. Once they have your signature you’re out of luck...

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online