5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.5 lift not a good idea

Dontfront82

Reaction score
This is probably due to the spacers used and the stiffer shocks that come on the off-road package. They use an “HD shock” which translates to stiffer ride, couple that with a poor lift and it’ll ride like garbage.
It rides good, the only way I can hear the lil squeak is radio off and windows down

Roddog2220

Reaction score
No fix, yet. It's not bothersome enough for me yet. Since I had other more serious issues with my new ram I'm ignoring or libing with the squeek lol I've considered doing lemon law, but man I like the truck even with all the issues

wheres that ram cares rep when you need em???

marcd6n

Reaction score
0ea379bca7c704c057362d86a2e3a179.jpg

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the orp with the ready lift top hat spacer. We did not use the pre load spacer since readylift did not recommend it with the orp. The ride before tires was just as good as stock. The E series tires stiffened it up some but still rides great.

Thewrangler73

Reaction score
Those cv angles are sharp. I would be very leary of putting it in 4wd like that.
I would go with a 2" or 2.5" top hat spacer in the front. That will essentially make you identical to a 3.5" kit on a non offroad package truck. Then add a small spacer in the back if you still wanted some rake. The 3.5" kits are not intended for Rebels or Offroad Package trucks because of the 1" already from the factory. You could always just pull out the preload spacer and then it would essentially be a 2" lift all the way around instead of having to buy new tophats. You will still have rake this way though, unless you remove the rear spacer.
Forgive the dumb potentially dumb question, I'm trying to learn this stuff. But why would he need to be cautious putting that in 4wd?

RodRow

Reaction score
Forgive the dumb potentially dumb question, I'm trying to learn this stuff. But why would he need to be cautious putting that in 4wd?
CV joints operate within an optimal range of travel. Extend the travel too far and it over-stresses the structural integrity of the assembly. When in 4wd, the drivetrain is applying pressure on the joints which could potentially cause failure. With the sharp angle that his CV joints currently have on flat ground, any downward movement (off-road, large bumps, etc.) will exacerbate the situation and hasten potential failure.

Thewrangler73

Reaction score
CV joints operate within an optimal range of travel. Extend the travel too far and it over-stresses the structural integrity of the assembly. When in 4wd, the drivetrain is applying pressure on the joints which could potentially cause failure. With the sharp angle that his CV joints currently have on flat ground, any downward movement (off-road, large bumps, etc.) will exacerbate the situation and hasten potential failure.
So is this something I would need to worry about if I did leveling spacers? I'm considering 3inhes in front and 2 in back, but don't want to compromise the trucks integrity

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No fix, yet. It's not bothersome enough for me yet. Since I had other more serious issues with my new ram I'm ignoring or libing with the squeek lol I've considered doing lemon law, but man I like the truck even with all the issues

What issues are you having that make you want to lemon it?

Dontfront82

Reaction score
What issues are you having that make you want to lemon it?

Sup bud,
Too many to list lol check out my past post..
Btw the truck has been good for the last 6k miles. The first 3k or so were hell

RodRow

Reaction score
So is this something I would need to worry about if I did leveling spacers? I'm considering 3inhes in front and 2 in back, but don't want to compromise the trucks integrity
I personally went with the 2.5” ReadyLift with Upper Control Arms on both of my 19 Ram 4x4’s. Many are going with the 3.5”, but the concern comes in if you have an OffRoad package truck. It already takes 1” of travel from the original design configuration. If you add a 3” lift to an OR package truck, you will be very close to the CV limits. It’s entirely your call, just sharing my opinions (which are like navels...everyone has one). :)

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I personally went with the 2.5” ReadyLift with Upper Control Arms on both of my 19 Ram 4x4’s. Many are going with the 3.5”, but the concern comes in if you have an OffRoad package truck. It already takes 1” of travel from the original design configuration. If you add a 3” lift to an OR package truck, you will be very close to the CV limits. It’s entirely your call, just sharing my opinions (which are like navels...everyone has one). :)

Rod,

As you know I love your truck, perfect look. How is that level holding up? Any negatives yet? Squeaks?

marcd6n

Reaction score
The ride With lift kit (no Space on front)and tire is better of my old f150 2018 with 2’’ lift. I love my new ram and the ride is ok for my!

Thewrangler73

Reaction score
I do NOT have off-road package. So would you think the 3inch in front and 2 in rear is too much?

RodRow

Reaction score
I do NOT have off-road package. So would you think the 3inch in front and 2 in rear is too much?
You’ll find many that have the 3.5” in this forum with no issues, so I wouldn’t think you’d have an issue with the CVs at that the 3” height, but the Upper Control Arms will be significantly extended which could lead to ball joint failure down the road. You’ll probably want to invest in either MOPAR or ReadyLift upper control arms if you go to 3” rise in the front.

marcd6n

Reaction score
I have the off Road package that’s Why i do ont put the top spacer (ready lift 3.5)

Thewrangler73

Reaction score
You’ll find many that have the 3.5” in this forum with no issues, so I wouldn’t think you’d have an issue with the CVs at that the 3” height, but the Upper Control Arms will be significantly extended which could lead to ball joint failure down the road. You’ll probably want to invest in either MOPAR or ReadyLift upper control arms if you go to 3” rise in the front.
Thanksb
Thanks for the info!

sirbojangles

Reaction score

So putting the 3.5 lift on a truck that doesn't have the ORP will be fine ?

Users who are viewing this thread