5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3:21 vs 3.92

country4life

Reaction score
What ever makes you feel like a man I guess? The 3:21 is still great for most towing and most people if you want something for towing heavy just buy a Cummins 3500 and end of story

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What ever makes you feel like a man I guess? The 3:21 is still great for most towing and most people if you want something for towing heavy just buy a Cummins 3500 and end of story

Actually, one must buy an HO Dually to tow anything heavy. In reality, just skip them all and go straight to an HDT.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
You got it figured out now. As I mentioned in one of your other threads about this, everyone will claim what they have is the best. Are they right or wrong, nobody cares. Each gear ratio has its goods and not so goods. The 3.21's are still pretty capable of towing just about everything the 3.92's can just in a lower transmission gear. Don't get sucked into all the drama these types of subjective topics create. Follow the owners manual on towing for your specific truck and configuration and I'm quite sure you'll be fine with either gear ratio. My only problem with the 3.21 vs 3.92 is I really wish the 3.55 was available with the 5.7 not only the V6 or TRX. 3.55 is a great all around ratio in my opinion.

killerformula

Reaction score
Yeah I think the real reason we're all joking about it is that for those of us who own the 3.92's, 99% of us just wanted them. Almost none of us "needed" the option. The only situation that justifies this option is if you're regularly using a 1/2 ton pickup to do 8000+ pounds of towing. Even if I can do it, I probably never would. That's 2500 territory.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My only problem with the 3.21 vs 3.92 is I really wish the 3.55 was available with the 5.7 not only the V6 or TRX. 3.55 is a great all around ratio in my opinion.
When I started shopping, 3.50~3.75 was on my wish list. One brand checked that box but had other shortcomings, and what fell out at the end was a choice to go up or down. A quick look at the number of towables planned and already parked in the back yard helped me with that decision.:)

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
When I started shopping, 3.50~3.75 was on my wish list. One brand checked that box but had other shortcomings, and what fell out at the end was a choice to go up or down. A quick look at the number of towables planned and already parked in the back yard helped me with that decision.:)
You do what you gotta do

Mr. Grumpy

Reaction score
When I got my 21 Limited with the Hemi engine I knew that I wanted the 3.92 gears since my friend always complained that his truck felt sluggish with 3.21 gears. This time around since I ordered the truck with an EcoDiesel engine, I believe that the 3.92 is not necessary since the EcoDiesel has more low end torque than the Hemi. I guess that I’ll find out next Saturday if I made a mistake when I drive the truck home from Lake Charles. FWIW, I use my truck for transportation purposes only, meaning no towing.

Last edited:

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You got it figured out now. As I mentioned in one of your other threads about this, everyone will claim what they have is the best. Are they right or wrong, nobody cares. Each gear ratio has its goods and not so goods. The 3.21's are still pretty capable of towing just about everything the 3.92's can just in a lower transmission gear. Don't get sucked into all the drama these types of subjective topics create. Follow the owners manual on towing for your specific truck and configuration and I'm quite sure you'll be fine with either gear ratio. My only problem with the 3.21 vs 3.92 is I really wish the 3.55 was available with the 5.7 not only the V6 or TRX. 3.55 is a great all around ratio in my opinion.
What? What do you mean "no one cares"? How can you say that? Who cares? I care! I care....... (sob)...... I care..... I care.
3hd6zo.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/