5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3” Fox DSC coilover pics

flying53brian

Reaction score
Shop just finished my install last night. Pending alignment today! Added the Clayton 2.5 springs to the rear also.
Looking good, did you have them dial in a little more pre-load than from factory?

2020 Ram Rebel 4x4

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Yeah, I hear ya. I went with BDS uppers but am afraid to install them now that I've heard the ball joints snapping, hopefully isolated incident!

2020 Ram Rebel 4x4
I've had the BDS control arms for about 4k miles now and no issues. The issue with the MOOG joints is concerning, but also seems to be isolated. BDS uses the same UCA for 06-21 Rams and the few on here are the only ones I've heard of. One of them was someone that installed them on the 4" BDS lift which BDS lists as not compatible. The reason is the 4" BDS keeps the factory geometry. The BDS UCAs for lifted geometry. That's why they work with the Fox coilovers and the 6" BDS lift.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Shop just finished my install last night. Pending alignment today! Added the Clayton 2.5 springs to the rear also.
They beat the crap out of the top of your shackle! Guess they didn't have a joint separator?
Ram recommends not using a hammer or sledge on the shackle to separate it from the ball joint as they can oblong the joint hole and the torque setting for the ball joints isn't enough to round it back out.

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For anyone doing the work themselves, 100% use this ball joint separator/pitman arm puller. The ram has a longer ball joint shaft than most cars I’ve encountered so a standard one is not deep enough, and a pickle fork will beat the heck out of your boot. This one works well.

Attachments

• 035EEB51-0DD0-4577-8816-87149DA25007.png
    035EEB51-0DD0-4577-8816-87149DA25007.png
    264.3 KB · Views: 73

flying53brian

Reaction score
I've had the BDS control arms for about 4k miles now and no issues. The issue with the MOOG joints is concerning, but also seems to be isolated. BDS uses the same UCA for 06-21 Rams and the few on here are the only ones I've heard of. One of them was someone that installed them on the 4" BDS lift which BDS lists as not compatible. The reason is the 4" BDS keeps the factory geometry. The BDS UCAs for lifted geometry. That's why they work with the Fox coilovers and the 6" BDS lift.
Thanks for that info, that puts me at ease some!

2020 Ram Rebel 4x4

Last edited:

Wch_chip

Reaction score
Wanted to share some photos of my recent lift. I did the Fox 2.5 DSC coilover set to 3” however I think it netted me a few more mm’s than 3” as it looks higher than my Mopar + ORP lift. I foolishly didn’t take measurements - was too excited to get them on haha. Install was super easy, I have a lift at my place and have done several rams now, including my own. But to not have to mess with springs compressors is awesome lol. They came with a little bracket to mount the canisters which I thought was super cool. Shows off the canisters very nicely.

I went with a readylift SST upper control arm after seeing the BDS failures. The angles seem good. The ride is absolutely phenomenal, which I expected to be for the money. Not the cheapest but the quality is definitely great. Sorry for the dirty truck.

This is exactly how I want my truck to look. You just bought the DSC shocks front and rear and new UCAs?

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I saw mention of spring preload and a spacer in the rear. I have an ORP truck will these still be needed? Thank you.
What do you mean? You get rid of the front spring in the front as the Fox unit is a whole coilover. The rear i have a 2" on non ORP, so you'd want a 1" block for the rear.

Wch_chip

Reaction score
Or Clayton springs in the back!
This is what I'm thinking. But for the cost of the struts, shocks, springs and UCAs you are pretty close to the cost of BDS's 6" CO lift. I definitely don't want to go that high.

I'm not overly smart on the topic so I'm glad I have you guys too help educate me.

texasvolfan15

Reaction score
This is what I'm thinking. But for the cost of the struts, shocks, springs and UCAs you are pretty close to the cost of BDS's 6" CO lift. I definitely don't want to go that high.

I'm not overly smart on the topic so I'm glad I have you guys too help educate me.
Yea so to get a pretty ridiculous setup, and have coil overs in both the front and back 2.5 fox shocks:

Front shocks - $1600
Rear shocks - $1100
UCA - $350
Spacer - $150?
Total: $3200

You might be able to actually find the rear shocks (haven't tried personally) that are fox 2.0 like is in the mopar kit for quiet a bit cheaper than the rear 2.5 shocks.

Still about $1000 cheaper than the BDS coilover kit, but for this much money its not that different ultimately. Personally, I am not a fan of 6 inch kits and the setup above would ride phenomenal and still allow you to run a 35 just like you would with a 6 inch kit most likely. Install cost should also be quiet a bit less vs BDS.

For me, I think the 3.5 inch height gain (2 inch rear) with 35's is the absolute best look for our trucks

Wch_chip

Reaction score
Yea so to get a pretty ridiculous setup, and have coil overs in both the front and back 2.5 fox shocks:

Front shocks - $1600
Rear shocks - $1100
UCA - $350
Spacer - $150?
Total: $3200

You might be able to actually find the rear shocks (haven't tried personally) that are fox 2.0 like is in the mopar kit for quiet a bit cheaper than the rear 2.5 shocks.

Still about $1000 cheaper than the BDS coilover kit, but for this much money its not that different ultimately. Personally, I am not a fan of 6 inch kits and the setup above would ride phenomenal and still allow you to run a 35 just like you would with a 6 inch kit most likely. Install cost should also be quiet a bit less vs BDS.

For me, I think the 3.5 inch height gain (2 inch rear) with 35's is the absolute best look for our trucks

Do you need to do anything with the track bar or end links?

texasvolfan15

Reaction score
Do you need to do anything with the track bar or end links?
I didn’t do anything with either, maybe I will in the future.

For your second question, I don’t know much about using Clayton spring or anything. I personally would just get a 1 inch rear spacer and not get new springs

Jeansebplante

Reaction score
The 2.5 rear shocks say 0-2" I assume the 2.5 springs are fine however?
Yes, a few running Claytons with no issue. Fox DSC will ride 100x better than a 6 inches lift. It all depends on what you are aiming for (look vs performance).

Mehlmw

Reaction score
Wanted to share some photos of my recent lift. I did the Fox 2.5 DSC coilover set to 3” however I think it netted me a few more mm’s than 3” as it looks higher than my Mopar + ORP lift. I foolishly didn’t take measurements - was too excited to get them on haha. Install was super easy, I have a lift at my place and have done several rams now, including my own. But to not have to mess with springs compressors is awesome lol. They came with a little bracket to mount the canisters which I thought was super cool. Shows off the canisters very nicely.

I went with a readylift SST upper control arm after seeing the BDS failures. The angles seem good. The ride is absolutely phenomenal, which I expected to be for the money. Not the cheapest but the quality is definitely great. Sorry for the dirty truck.

Great looking truck! Did you do the 2.5 DSC coilover setup in the front and rear and completely remove your Mopar lift, or did you just install the DSC coilovers in the front? I have the Mopar 2" lift with ORP springs in front and was just considering doing the coilovers in the front to get it level. I'd be interested to know your thoughts and your exact setup. Thanks!

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great looking truck! Did you do the 2.5 DSC coilover setup in the front and rear and completely remove your Mopar lift, or did you just install the DSC coilovers in the front? I have the Mopar 2" lift with ORP springs in front and was just considering doing the coilovers in the front to get it level. I'd be interested to know your thoughts and your exact setup. Thanks!

I removed the front Mopar + ORP front and kept the rear 2”

as far as the whole setup cost, I wanted a 3-3.5/2 lift without cutting anything. I had a set of RL arms stashed away so the cost wasn’t too terribly high for me.

In regards to the rear track bar, you always always need either a bracket or an adjustable bar. Most guys won’t have issues with just a 1 inch lift in the rear, but when you get to a 1.5” or higher, your thrust angle will be off as not your rear axle center becomes misaligned With your front axle center. Makes a hell of a dodgy (no pun intended) truck when that happens.

Users who are viewing this thread