5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'24 Ram Hemi less power than '17 Hemi?

Don Juan

Reaction score
I bought a '24 1500 with the etorque Hemi. I had a '17 with the Hemi. In my old truck, when you accelerate hard from a stop or passing, it has major power. My new truck really doesn't. It's all suppose to be the same. What's the deal with this?

Bubba1120

Reaction score
I have not turned off the traction control and released all the horses yet with my new 24 like I did once with my 21 non e- torque hemi, that was a little scary LOL.

That being said, I have had a new Ram Hemi every 3 years since 2008 and the 24 is the smoothest running one yet. No complaints with towing my 6000lb trailer or other accelerating issues.

Does your truck have 3:92 gears? They make a difference with off the line acceleration and towing.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a '24 1500 with the etorque Hemi. I had a '17 with the Hemi. In my old truck, when you accelerate hard from a stop or passing, it has major power. My new truck really doesn't. It's all suppose to be the same. What's the deal with this?
Hard to compare two different trucks. Espeywithiur knowing the trim level and options for each one.

Don Juan

Reaction score
Yes, this truck is quieter and smoother. The same tire size, etc. no mods on old truck or this one. My 17 kicked a$$ on acceleration, this one really doesn’t. Traction control is off.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yes, this truck is quieter and smoother. The same tire size, etc. no mods on old truck or this one. My 17 kicked a$$ on acceleration, this one really doesn’t. Traction control is off.
I had the exact same gripe when I bought my 2022. Felt it immediately in the first 100 miles. Biggest problem was the severe throttle lag. Never owning and eTorque before I naturally blamed that but doubt that’s the issue.
My previous 2013 and 2017 Hemi’s screamed and my 2022 not so much. Figured it would get better with time. Actually it’s still pretty weak in comparison even after 45,000 miles. Runs great otherwise so I just live with it. Still plenty of power for what I need it for. Just won’t win any 0-60 or 1/4 mile runs vs older RAM Hemi’s.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Without knowing the gear ratios involved (as others have already mentioned), its hard to tell. But I bet a Pedal Monster would fix it a bit. Loved Pedal Commanders/Monsters on my 5.7 Hemi trucks before I got the TRX.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The 2017 Rebel I owned felt faster than any of the three 5th gens we've owned. Not sure if it really was or not but it felt faster.

Dewey

Reaction score
Seat of the pants "feel" doesn't necessarily mean it's actually slower
I timed all my trucks 0-60 using apps and stopwatch. 4th Gens were at least 1 second faster 0-60. That can easily be felt seat of the pants. No doubt about that.

dajogejr

Reaction score
My 15 Limited was for sure faster than my 23, but due to gearing. Ordered my 15 with 3.92. My 23 is etorque and 3.21.
It bothered me at first…
But in reality.. it’s probably saving me some tires, it STILL has more than enough power for anything I need to do.. and I do get better fuel mileage compared to my last truck. A lot better? No, but.. certainly a little.
I didn’t buy a full size truck with a V8 with a concern for gas mileage, but, I’ll take the side benefit.
It still gets up and goes to 80 when getting on the freeway around here.
It’s noticeable for me…but with the tech, stereo, nicer looking and more function than my old truck.. and I’m not getting any younger, I just smile as I go for a ride!
@OP Don Juan, if you still have your old VIN, look up the sticker and see what gearing it had.
If it’s 3.92 vs. 3.21.. yep, it’ll be different.
On my new truck, at 80 I’m at/around 1800 RPM. With my 15 if I recall at 80 I was around 2200 RPM, I do remember being above 2K.

silver billet

Reaction score
My 15 Limited was for sure faster than my 23, but due to gearing. Ordered my 15 with 3.92. My 23 is etorque and 3.21.
It bothered me at first…
But in reality.. it’s probably saving me some tires, it STILL has more than enough power for anything I need to do.. and I do get better fuel mileage compared to my last truck. A lot better? No, but.. certainly a little.
I didn’t buy a full size truck with a V8 with a concern for gas mileage, but, I’ll take the side benefit.
It still gets up and goes to 80 when getting on the freeway around here.
It’s noticeable for me…but with the tech, stereo, nicer looking and more function than my old truck.. and I’m not getting any younger, I just smile as I go for a ride!
@OP Don Juan, if you still have your old VIN, look up the sticker and see what gearing it had.
If it’s 3.92 vs. 3.21.. yep, it’ll be different.
On my new truck, at 80 I’m at/around 1800 RPM. With my 15 if I recall at 80 I was around 2200 RPM, I do remember being above 2K.

Yes, there is about a 450-ish RPM difference between the 3.21 and 3.92 in 8th gear.

I'm running my original goodyear wrangler fortitude tires on my truck and find I need to be very careful with turning and accelerating from a dead stop, even with my 3.21. It will light up the tires very quickly before traction control kicks in, but if you disable it that back end is going to go sideways with minimal effort.

I was climbing up a signicant grade the other day in rainy conditions, I was in 4th gear at 2000 rpms and gave it a bit more, instantly went sideways a little almost into the guardrail.

The tires play a role for sure, these stock goodyears seem to be a little less sticky vs the michelin defenders I was running before. I wonder how much that is playing a role in comparing 4th gens vs 5th, if guys are noticing the 5th not braking traction as easily it could be partly tire related.

I have a pulsar on my truck as well though its not night and day it does liven it up, both by adding another 10 hp/tq (I run in tow mode) and by removing the dead spot in the pedal.

dajogejr

Reaction score
Yes, there is about a 450-ish RPM difference between the 3.21 and 3.92 in 8th gear.
I know there is a difference between my 15 and 23 for RPM in 8th gear, it’s greater than 450ish RPM.
It could be my 15 had 20 inch rims and my 23 has 22’s. I don’t know how (and don’t really care to look…lol) how big of a difference in diameter between the two.

I do know it’s greater than 450ish RPMs. Not arguing the math same vs. same Silver, just saying with 140K on my 15 before I traded it in, to my current 23 with north of 15K miles, I’m 100% certain :), unless the tachometer and/or speedo on either/both is incorrect.

Alter Ego Trip

Reaction score
Overall tire diameter is almost bang on between the different tire combos (17/20/22), so effective gearing will remain the same. Reciprocating mass between a 17 and 22 is a whole different story however.

My Mustang would literally dyno about 25 hp different, depending on if I was running the stock 17's or 20's. I personally think a lot of the differences come down to how Stellantis is manipulating the ECM's. I feel the nanny programs are more intrusive on the newer trucks vs the older ones. My first Ram was a 2011, and it was super snorty. My 24 feels pretty lethargic comparatively (although as someone mentioned, some trucks are sneaky fast, but feel slower).

The way I look at it; the 5.7 Hemi was never a grudge match truck. It is quick enough for a 6k plus pound brick. Kind of like the SRT Jeeps, and even trackhawk for that matter. If you aren't relying on launch control, which most races are roll on anyways; they are not actually that fast of a vehicle. Rule of thumb is; every 100 lbs of weight is a .10 of a second and every 100 hp is a .10 of a second. So a 3,500 lb sports car will require 300 less hp than the Jeep, to equal the same 1/4 mile time (more or less). IOW, a bone stock V-8 Mustang won't get eaten for lunch, even by a Trackhawk. Diatribe over. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

• jmr