5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2025 towing limits

MT755

Reaction score
I found this. The HO is rated lower than the SO. Im sure the HO, only available in 4x4 vs 4x2 with the SO is part of it along with all the options that are standard with the upper trims.

1000009177.jpg 1000009178.jpg 1000009179.jpg

Davidbt

Reaction score
As much as the new motors intrigue me, I just think they're taking a big step backwards leaving the 5.7 and eco diesel behind. Loosing payload is huge for people that tow recreationally. Plus the fact they're pricing us retired and working normal people out.

Wire4money

Reaction score
As much as the new motors intrigue me, I just think they're taking a big step backwards leaving the 5.7 and eco diesel behind. Loosing payload is huge for people that tow recreationally. Plus the fact they're pricing us retired and working normal people out.
I’m sure they would have loved to keep the Hemi, but government regulations dictated otherwise.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’m sure they would have loved to keep the Hemi, but government regulations dictated otherwise.
Because Ford and Chevy don't still make V8s?
Ram is owned by an Europe company they hate V8s so no I don't think they would of loved to keep it. They want it to get get in line like Fiat.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

True in the fact they decided it wasn't worth it to them to revise the ancient Hemi to make it compliant. However, Ford and GM thought otherwise and they are keeping V8s in their trucks for the next-gen. Most recently GM has spent a billion to make sure that happens.

Yet Stellantis, who's line or RAM truck's popularity is heavily based on the Hemi didn't think it was necessary. Even Ford of all companies, who's moto is Ecoboost everything still has the 5.0L. Mainly because they new the next gen Mustang they just released had to still have a V8. Again, while Stellantis decided to go all EV or Hurricane with the Challenger/Charger.

I guess we'll know if they were right when the sales numbers come in the next few years. But given high prices, high interest rates and dropping a bit of the thing that made these vehicles popular, I think it will be an interesting time for Stellantis going forward.

I don't think every truck needs to have a V8, I would love a Raptor Ecoboost for example, however it has other positive traits like the longer travel suspension and wide body to make it interesting. A regular 1500 however needs a bit of aural spice that a V8 can provide.

Last edited:

Wire4money

Reaction score
True in the fact they decided it wasn't worth it to them to revise the ancient Hemi to make it compliant. However, Ford and GM thought otherwise and they are keeping V8s in their trucks for the next-gen. Most recently GM has spent a billion to make sure that happens.

Yet Stellantis, who's line or RAM truck's popularity is heavily based on the Hemi didn't think it was necessary. Even Ford of all companies, who's moto is Ecoboost everything still has the 5.0L. Mainly because they new the next gen Mustang they just released had to still have a V8. Again, while Stellantis decided to go all EV or Hurricane with the Challenger/Charger.

I guess we'll know if they were right when the sales numbers come in the next few years. But given high prices, high interest rates and dropping a bit of the thing that made these vehicles popular, I think it will be an interesting time for Stellantis going forward.

I don't think every truck needs to have a V8, I would love a Raptor Ecoboost for example, however it has other positive traits like the longer travel suspension and wide body to make it interesting. A regular 1500 however needs a bit of aural spice that a V8 can provide.
How long will these next gen v8s meet emissions? They are trying to pass even stricter emissions. What difference does it make if we get the power from a high tech inline 6 or v8? Is it the sound? Last time I checked, GM was having lots of lifter problems with their V8. When I was researching trucks in 2022, the consensus was the 2.7 ecoboost was Ford’s most reliable engine.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
How long will these next gen v8s meet emissions? They are trying to pass even stricter emissions. What difference does it make if we get the power from a high tech inline 6 or v8? Is it the sound? Last time I checked, GM was having lots of lifter problems with their V8. When I was researching trucks in 2022, the consensus was the 2.7 ecoboost was Ford’s most reliable engine.

I think 1-2 more generation cycle, GMs next gen V8s come out in 2028 model yr, that would push service life up to the 2035 ICE deadline. The next Corvette will get that V8 in 2028, then their 1500 trucks. For Ford, the 5.0L is good until the current gen Mustang ends production, probably 7-8 years? Doesn't seem long, but Ford already invested in compliance and GMs investment at a billion is a drop in the bucket in terms of vehicle production costs.

Why a V8? Sounds is a big part, but for others its the lower complexity and likely less issues with a simple NA V8 vs. turbocharged motors. I mean if the dinosaur Hemi still has a waiting list to get replacement cast iron exhaust manifolds, can you imagine the waiting list we are going to have at Stellantis on a Hurricanes once in mass production in RAMs, Chargers/Challengers and Jeeps have that motor? Again, Stellantis dealerships can barely handle warranty work on an old motor they have been building for a long time with a simple basic issue. I don't trust the Hurricane motor is going to improve RAM service department workload.

As for the dropping lifters on GM engines, I think it was only a certain batch and probably even less of an overall issue than the pins that cause lifter failure on Hemis. The 2.7L Ecoobost more reliable than the 5.0L? I have to search on that, I had the 2.7L in my 2015 F150, great motor but boring, which is why I have my Rebel now.

Could I live without a V8? Sure, if it's interesting like a Raptor Ecoboost or a RAM RHO, I would love that. But a run of the mill 1500, that will need a V8 to make it interesting for me.

Last edited:

Serpens

Reaction score
Because Ford and Chevy don't still make V8s?
Ram is owned by an Europe company they hate V8s so no I don't think they would of loved to keep it. They want it to get get in line like Fiat.

What does "get in line like Fiat" even mean in this context?

They don't hate V8s and yes I believe FCA would've loved to keep it because it was easy profit for them. Ford and GM have rightly balanced their portfolio to the point where they don't have to pay CAFE fines, something FCA failed to do. It's not like I6 motors are prevalent amongst FCA's prior portfolio and Stellantis now. This I6 was their way out of being permanently beholden to ever increasing fines and credits needing to be bought from Tesla because they lacked fuel efficient/low emissions vehicles elsewhere.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
What does "get in line like Fiat" even mean in this context?

They don't hate V8s and yes I believe FCA would've loved to keep it because it was easy profit for them. Ford and GM have rightly balanced their portfolio to the point where they don't have to pay CAFE fines, something FCA failed to do. It's not like I6 motors are prevalent amongst FCA's prior portfolio and Stellantis now. This I6 was their way out of being permanently beholden to ever increasing fines and credits needing to be bought from Tesla because they lacked fuel efficient/low emissions vehicles elsewhere.
They are still paying fines for the I6.
Fiat is an Europe automaker which would never even consider using an large engine. Their entire product line are small cars and engines which is the company who owns Ram, and thus likely the direction to continue to follow, smaller engines.

Serpens

Reaction score
They are still paying fines for the I6.
Fiat is an Europe automaker which would never even consider using an large engine. Their entire product line are small cars and engines which is the company who owns Ram, and thus likely the direction to continue to follow, smaller engines.

That has nothing to do with “liking” something. The I6 shares nothing with anything they’ve ever made and required heavy investment all the same. It’s not like this motor is now sharing parts with Fiat motors or being built on European production lines. This size of this motor has nothing to do with that. You would’ve maybe had a point if this somehow ended up being related to a V6 motor from Maserati or something. The V8 could’ve lived in some form if then-FCA had followed a playbook more similar to its American counterparts.

Also, they are well on their way to not paying anymore fines. They have a mandate from the Stellantis CEO to no longer pay fines as of 2025 and this is part of the solution. They’ve been very open about that.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
That has nothing to do with “liking” something. The I6 shares nothing with anything they’ve ever made and required heavy investment all the same. It’s not like this motor is now sharing parts with Fiat motors or being built on European production lines.
Have you not seen the disaster that are is Jeep Renegade?
They are essentially Fiats.
Are we talking about the same company? Stellantis?

Serpens

Reaction score
Have you not seen the disaster that are is Jeep Renegade?
They are essentially Fiats.
Are we talking about the same company? Stellantis?

You are aware FCA doesn’t exist anymore except for the “FCA US” legal entity right? I’m well aware the Renegade is on the Fiat SUSW platform but uh…. why are we bringing up the Jeep Renegade in a conversation about the Hurricane? That’s not even a good example of engine downsizing anyways, Jeep has used 4 cylinder engines for several decades.

Users who are viewing this thread