5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2025 Ram REV Just a Regular 1500 Truck With Electric Underpants

popcenator

Reaction score
You can't drastically redesign a truck otherwise people will complain about how it looks like garbage or another brands garbage, and you can't familiarize a new concept because people will ask what happened to the concept. There's no winning, as there never is with redesigns.

n8zcc

Reaction score
No, it likely can't tow. 😔
It likely can tow but how much and how far is the issue. From what I've seen, no EV pickup can do what most of us drive a pickup do. Then there are the issues of recharging and the time it takes to recharge.

My son, who drives a Bolt around town told me the new fad is now charging people that leave their EVs in a charger spot after it is recharged.

popcenator

Reaction score
Snagged this from Facebook. They're claiming it can tow, but for how long is the better question.
094a2d25df42f53d075c3b88edfc3159.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just get rid of the lighted RAM emblems and it will look great. Nice to see an EV look like an actual truck instead of that futuristic look. I like it much better than the prototype.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, they say it can tow 14k lbs, but in reality...

cdsons

Reaction score
I don't GAF about any of the EV stuff, but that Tungsten interior is sick. Hopefully it makes it's way to the HD trucks.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The weight from the battery pack puts this truck into 1-ton gas pickup territory in terms of curb weight. That's why it can tow 14,000 lbs. They went with 8-lug axles and that was the only thing holding the 1500 series trucks back. The laws of physics are always present. I'm quite certain that this truck will easily tow to its rated capacity, especially since all automakers are on board now with SAE J2807.

As mentioned the only question is how far can you tow a trailer before you have to start searching for a charge station? If we look at the F-150 with extended range battery, we've seen those getting around 100 miles of range while towing in the real world. BUT, most people are going to need to leave a reserve in the battery because you don't always have a charge station in-line with your route. So let's say effectively you've got 75 miles between stops. RAM is claiming 180 more miles of range when unloaded, so if we do the math maybe we're at 60 miles of towing range over the Ford. So you're still having to stop every 135ish miles or so. Probably won't be a big deal for local jobs, but people driving long trips on vacations are not going to want to put up with that.

n8zcc

Reaction score
1680870465339.png

Up to 14K of tow load but how far can I tow it? What happens in colder weather, say around freezing or in hot weather? How is the range affected or the charging speed affected by ambient temperatures? So much not said is the troubling part.

We are seeing a lot of YT videos with real-world use of EVs and the results aren't all that good. Physics is in the way of the EV hype. The bigger and heavier the vehicle the more kilowatts of storage it needs which means the longer it takes to recharge. Factor in battery chemistry with respect to ambient temperature and the recharge times grow, significantly.

There is a lot of talk about new and emerging battery technologies but why don't you see them? Well, the truth is the new technologies being discovered are not practical because the internal resistance of the chemistry is high thus lowering the amount of current the battery can provide on demand. We have a long way to go before we get there.

And who wants to pay twice or three times the cost for an EV that limits your usage?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You can't drastically redesign a truck otherwise people will complain about how it looks like garbage or another brands garbage, and you can't familiarize a new concept because people will ask what happened to the concept. There's no winning, as there never is with redesigns.
It's not a redesign if it's a brand new truck...
God forbid a new product line doesn't look like an existing one

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is still the same interior we've had since 2019 just higher end trim level. Still the best interior out thier, just surprised they don't change up the overall look a bit.

popcenator

Reaction score
It's not a redesign if it's a brand new truck...
God forbid a new product line doesn't look like an existing one
I do agree that redesign probably isn't the best descriptor there but I was only referring to the exterior. A brand new truck is kind of a stretch, changing the power train doesn't make it a new truck, especially when it looks practically the same and the current gen Ram. It's just a variation.

That was kinda my point. You're going to get people whining from both sides. Those that can't handle drastic changes and those that complain that it looks the same as the existing line.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I do agree that redesign probably isn't the best descriptor there but I was only referring to the exterior. A brand new truck is kind of a stretch, changing the power train doesn't make it a new truck, especially when it looks practically the same and the current gen Ram. It's just a variation.

That was kinda my point. You're going to get people whining from both sides. Those that can't handle drastic changes and those that complain that it looks the same as the existing line.

It's not labeled as a ram 1500 with a different powertrain option.
It's a brand new vehicle with it's own trims, thus a new vehicle. The f150 lighting is still an f150. Ram Rev is????

popcenator

Reaction score
It's not labeled as a ram 1500 with a different powertrain option.
It's a brand new vehicle with it's own trims, thus a new vehicle. The f150 lighting is still an f150. Ram Rev is????

The Ram 1500 REV is an electrified 1500...

The concept was a brand new truck, this is clearly just a rehash of the current gen Ram. So if they dropped F-150 from the Lightning, that would make it a brand new truck by your argument despite being the exact same truck overall right? I'm not really sure why you're arguing this, that was never my point. My point was nobody is ever happy with any design.

3a52bee1b675d857c22d1b806c6d7db3.jpg

Last edited:

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My take is, I prefer this design over the concept, and I’m glad that they went with a conventional design over something more “revolutionary.” At the same time, I can understand why others like the bolder design, even if it is not my taste.

What I find odd, though, is that Ram would show the concept so close to revealing the production model. It seems like disappointment is inevitable this way.

In typical concept cars, the production version comes years after the concept, or the concept name never comes to a production vehicle. So there’s little connection between concept and production, and thus no disappointment. Not so with the Ram Revolution/Rev.

Odd decision if you ask me, but I’m not in the market for an electric truck anyway, so my interest is mostly academic (but I would like to see some features of the concept make it to production, like the bed extender).

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nobody is buying EVs for long range driving. Yet the most frequent argument against them is range. Which usually comes from people who have no interest in buying an EV no matter what it's range is

Users who are viewing this thread