5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2025 ram 1500 engine broke at 400miles

cierav

Reaction score
My son Purchased a ram 1500 2025 last week. Worst decision ever.... any help with getting money back or lemon law ect.
Got to 400miles driven the. The truck started shaking horribly. Flashing engine light started. So we had it towed. But of course stelantis only covered 15 miles and the dealer was 24 miles away so we had to pay for towing. We then called to get a rental car because it under the "3 year 36000mile warranty" . Guess what they don't provide a car because my son is 18. So let let him purchase it completely under his name no co signer. Now 1 week later the engine cylinder #3 misfires and they don't know why but can't get him another car? They told him it could be at least 3 weeks because they still don't know why just that it's cylinder #3. He will get fired if he misses any work, but he doesn't have a car now to get there. And in the mean time he's making the payment on a piece of crap. Any advice in dealing with lemons or ram would be so appreciated l.

Colorado the law is 4 repair attempts or 30 cumulative (not consecutive) days out of service.

Call a lemon law attorney in your state.

It is new a truck based on your post --- Contact ramcare @ 1-866-726-4636 -- they are usually helpful
Talk to your dealer to see if you can get a loaner until they figure out and correct the issue.
Search for posts related to engine codes.
Good luck with Lemon law.

Things happen. It could be minor. It’s the first time it happened and no reason to be this upset. Rent your son a car and then fight Ram to get money back or waive a month of car payment.
I’d be upset if this was a repetitive problem that the dealer couldn’t fix. Give them a chance though.

Things happen. It could be minor. It’s the first time it happened and no reason to be this upset. Rent your son a car and then fight Ram to get money back or waive a month of car payment.
I’d be upset if this was a repetitive problem that the dealer couldn’t fix. Give them a chance though.
@seba unfortunately even if I got a rental under my name he is not legally able to drive it because he's 18 rental companies will not let you drive their vehicles. Your right things happen it's part of life. But after working hard and saving to buy this NEW and it breaks in a week its hard to swallow. Customer service offered no help with a vehicle in the mean time and towing on our expense. You would be mad too. Problems happen but customer service is what resolves them , and when the product is crap and customer service is crap its not a good combo. Ram has been having this issue with the engines and have not yet issued a recall or permanent fix for them. They just keep selling the product in hopes they some don't fail. Dealer says anywhere from 3-6 weeks before he gets it back. But I guess I should have done better research before suggesting he buy it.

Be patient. I know it's not the ideal situation but stuff happens. A friend of mine is going through the lemon law process on a new Honda he bought, so it happens to everyone. I have had great luck and overall experience with my previous Rams, but I am still a little nervous about the issues people are having with the new 25's and why Stellantis is so slow to get their **** together. Honestly, I would prefer they would just sell the Chrysler Mopar family to someone else since Stellantis seems to be run by a bunch of morons who are so dumb that it comes across as if they are intentionally trying to destroy everything they touch. Hopefully there is at least one person left that actually knows what they are doing and gets a fix out to the dealerships soon. If they can't figure it out, hire a Lemon Law attorney and he will take care of the rest. Good luck.

@seba unfortunately even if I got a rental under my name he is not legally able to drive it because he's 18 rental companies will not let you drive their vehicles. Your right things happen it's part of life. But after working hard and saving to buy this NEW and it breaks in a week its hard to swallow. Customer service offered no help with a vehicle in the mean time and towing on our expense. You would be mad too. Problems happen but customer service is what resolves them , and when the product is crap and customer service is crap its not a good combo. Ram has been having this issue with the engines and have not yet issued a recall or permanent fix for them. They just keep selling the product in hopes they some don't fail. Dealer says anywhere from 3-6 weeks before he gets it back. But I guess I should have done better research before suggesting he buy it.
I personally would never buy a first year model. But I don’t think that Ram is crap. My second car is an X7 and I had other BMWs, range rovers, Chevys, Audis and more. They all have been great but some have bad reputations with reliability.
I would check smaller rental companies, some rent to drivers that are 18 also check Turo, some people rent to drivers 18 or older.

Dealer should provide a loaner he can drive since he got the truck all on his own.
Rental car law in most states is 21… a few are 18.

If the dealership is going to have the truck that long, they should cover at least one payment.
You’re not going to have any luck with Lemon law…. Sorry, I don’t mean to be cold, but any lemon law attorney worth their salt won’t take the case, and you should spend your time continuing to pressure Stellantis for some customer service, and see if the dealer can help in any way… even letting him drive a used car for work.

Sorry, I don’t mean to be cold, but any lemon law attorney worth their salt won’t take the case, and you should spend your time continuing to pressure Stellantis for some customer service, and see if the dealer can help in any way… even letting him drive a used car for work.
Most lemon law lawyers don't charge you but take a percentage of the settlement, which in some cases is more than you paid for the car. I am not advising them to get a lawyer now, but if the problem persists where the dealership has the car for weeks and they still have regrets, it would be a good time to consult with a lawyer and see what their state lemon laws are. If a lawyer doesn't believe he can do something for you, he won't take the case. But I have seen people successfully pursue damages with the manufacturer through the lemon law process, even in some cases where their intent was to keep the car because it was eventually repaired.

@RedFred , I hear you.
But it’s been a week.
Two things, depending on state….are time, and number of attempted repairs.

You’re right.. if you can find a free consultation lawyer, at least become familiar with that the lemon laws of the particular state are… because they vary, greatly, from state to state. But i would also state… you could do 30 minutes of research to see what qualifies as a lemon.

But it sounds like in less than a week’s time, it was purchased, broke, and is in the shop for diagnosis.
Feel bad, 18 year old kid saved for a down payment for a new truck.

@RedFred , I hear you.
But it’s been a week.
Two things, depending on state….are time, and number of attempted repairs.

You’re right.. if you can find a free consultation lawyer, at least become familiar with that the lemon laws of the particular state are… because they vary, greatly, from state to state. But i would also state… you could do 30 minutes of research to see what qualifies as a lemon.

But it sounds like in less than a week’s time, it was purchased, broke, and is in the shop for diagnosis.
Feel bad, 18 year old kid saved for a down payment for a new truck.
I agree with everything you are saying. My point to the OP was that this is not the ideal situation, but don't be too worried other than the inconvenience, because if the problem continues to persist for an extended period of time and they still have concerns or regrets, that there are options. Right now the only option is to give the dealership time. And I would prefer that the dealership fixes it in a timely manner for them and that they will once again be happy with their purchase. As a 2025 owner myself, of course I would prefer that everyone is pleased with their purchase.

As a 2025 owner myself, of course I would prefer that everyone is pleased with their purchase.
More than fair sir.
On my 4th RAM since 2006, and I’m very pleased with ALL of the 4 I’ve had.
I’m fortunate enough to have 3 vehicles plus a bike in case one goes in for a while.
In fact, the reason I have and keep a 3rd vehicle is because my 2015 was in the shop for so long waiting on parts for the air ride, like over 6 weeks a couple years ago. I get their pain.

I'm new here, but this sounds like a dealership issue. The misfire problem has been well documented here and there are fixes already posted on NHTSA from RAM.

Where do you live?
What dealership are you working with?
What kind of work does your son do? Sounds like an inspirational story that they could save up or get financing for such an expensive truck at 18. Would you be willing to share?
Respectfully, customer service doesn't solve problems. They make you feel better about your problems while the company gets some time to fix the issue.
If you did the research for your son, then you would have known about the misfire issue (2025 RAM 1500 BIGHORN 3.0 I HURRICANE twin-turbo, SO, 420HP - check engine light).
Why did you join the forum yesterday to trash the company and product? That just seems odd.

For background, I purchased a 2025 1500 bighorn in late August. I wasn't aware of the misfire issue. I have not had any CEL/MIL on my truck, and it seems to have been made on 4/24. I would say the Uconnect has been buggy, occasionally changing my language preferences to Italian and dumping my radio preferences. And my cold start seems high (1700+rpm) and it takes over a minute to come down to 1000 rpm or less. Otherwise, it's been a great upgrade over my 2010 1500 Laramie. I don't even miss the Hemi.

That said, you might consider a softer approach with Ram about how this doesn't look good on the dealership or the product. That could easily lead to waived payments and some form of transportation while the truck is being worked on.

I'm new here, but this sounds like a dealership issue. The misfire problem has been well documented here and there are fixes already posted on NHTSA from RAM.

Where do you live?
What dealership are you working with?
What kind of work does your son do? Sounds like an inspirational story that they could save up or get financing for such an expensive truck at 18. Would you be willing to share?
Respectfully, customer service doesn't solve problems. They make you feel better about your problems while the company gets some time to fix the issue.
If you did the research for your son, then you would have known about the misfire issue (2025 RAM 1500 BIGHORN 3.0 I HURRICANE twin-turbo, SO, 420HP - check engine light).
Why did you join the forum yesterday to trash the company and product? That just seems odd.

For background, I purchased a 2025 1500 bighorn in late August. I wasn't aware of the misfire issue. I have not had any CEL/MIL on my truck, and it seems to have been made on 4/24. I would say the Uconnect has been buggy, occasionally changing my language preferences to Italian and dumping my radio preferences. And my cold start seems high (1700+rpm) and it takes over a minute to come down to 1000 rpm or less. Otherwise, it's been a great upgrade over my 2010 1500 Laramie. I don't even miss the Hemi.

That said, you might consider a softer approach with Ram about how this doesn't look good on the dealership or the product. That could easily lead to waived payments and some form of transportation while the truck is being worked on.
@artyman Yes he did save up for quite some time. I have always taught my kids to work hard for what ever they want. I don't give them any hand out and won't cosign. But what I did do is build help him with credit advise and taught him to be responsible. He saved up $10,000 and put it all down on his truck. He is a carpenter in construction just like his dad. They build hospitals in Florida. So he has to have a truck in his trade. He is such a good kid and has worked hard from a young age. Going on here was to try and get a little help with anyone else who's been through this with RAM. We've owned ram before and never had a problem but now customer service is basically like , sucks for you.... (which it does). The dealer we are working with has been kind but they are a small dealer and don't really have alot of pull with corporate ram. I did my research on lemon law in florida. After 15 days I can file for it but I know that's a pain in the but. Was hoping for a resolution with Ram, hoping they would help remedy this. As of last night the Dealer now said it might be a few months due to lack of parts for the wiring issue and another cylinder is now misfiring. I'm reading everyone's advise on here for any suggestions. I feel bad that you try and teach moralls and work ethic (work hard) and this happens. I kinda had to laugh last night after he said mom if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any. I told him welcome to adulthood!!! Thank you to all of your suggestions and letting me vent!

Find another dealer. No matter who you complain to, they will ask you the first step you must take is working with a dealer.
I feel bad and am sympathetic to your issue.
members with 2025 issues such as yours have provided good input. No easy way out without going through the mostly BS process for vehicles with defects - regardless of brand.
Look at the purchase paperwork. all dealers ask the buyers to sign a paper that indicates the purchaser should work with the dealer to resolve issues first.
Few of the folks on this site with issues such as yours have contacted the exec. mgmnt at Stellantis and, have had good resolutions.

Last edited:
@cierav , good parenting right there.
Work hard, life isn’t always fair.. you learn to roll with it.
Wish you the best of luck.

@artyman Yes he did save up for quite some time. I have always taught my kids to work hard for what ever they want. I don't give them any hand out and won't cosign. But what I did do is build help him with credit advise and taught him to be responsible. He saved up $10,000 and put it all down on his truck. He is a carpenter in construction just like his dad. They build hospitals in Florida. So he has to have a truck in his trade. He is such a good kid and has worked hard from a young age. Going on here was to try and get a little help with anyone else who's been through this with RAM. We've owned ram before and never had a problem but now customer service is basically like , sucks for you.... (which it does). The dealer we are working with has been kind but they are a small dealer and don't really have alot of pull with corporate ram. I did my research on lemon law in florida. After 15 days I can file for it but I know that's a pain in the but. Was hoping for a resolution with Ram, hoping they would help remedy this. As of last night the Dealer now said it might be a few months due to lack of parts for the wiring issue and another cylinder is now misfiring. I'm reading everyone's advise on here for any suggestions. I feel bad that you try and teach moralls and work ethic (work hard) and this happens. I kinda had to laugh last night after he said mom if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any. I told him welcome to adulthood!!! Thank you to all of your suggestions and letting me vent!
Ask them about the tsb related to engine misfires released on October 8th. It applies to all 2025s built before October 4th I believe. It’s a simple flash update and addresses misfires and some other codes

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Back