5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2025 RAM 1500 BIGHORN 3.0 I HURRICANE twin-turbo, SO, 420HP - check engine light

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Questiones. New to scanners as never had problem with my 2015 Laramie. Will a hundred dollar blue tooth scanner do the job? What is OBDLink app plus one of "their" dongles? And what is the mfg extended interface? Will the RAM codes change year to year? Plan to get one for new truck in case I throw a code while on a trip and determine if serious. Any advice welcome.
I use the free "Torque lite" app and dongle similar to this.

Found it! Cheap, but it works. Have had it for years...

Last edited:

cpetku

Reaction score
I mean, a $12 OBD scan tool will check and clear codes just as good as a $100 one. Mostly depends on the app you are using.
I bought an AUTEL unit years ago expecting it would last forever since they had lifetime SW updates. They introduced a new unit and obsoleted mine, so it's life was over. I'd consider the AlphaODB or other SCAN SW posted on this site. Pay the license fee and hopefully they keep it up to date for your truck. Don't get fooled by promises for universal products.

djaco

Reaction score
I just noticed the FIXD ones are $40 on Amazon at the moment: Amazon.com

But yes, fair point, no reason not to have a scanner.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Questiones. New to scanners as never had problem with my 2015 Laramie. Will a hundred dollar blue tooth scanner do the job? What is OBDLink app plus one of "their" dongles? And what is the mfg extended interface? Will the RAM codes change year to year? Plan to get one for new truck in case I throw a code while on a trip and determine if serious. Any advice welcome.

OBDLink.com
(No affiliation)

I like their app quite a bit thanks to its logging and diagnostic capabilities, and I prefer their PID dashboards.

I use their Bluetooth MX+ adapter, not only with my phone running the OBDLink app itself, but also connect it to my laptop to run other vehicle interfaces for VWs and Fords.

What I like about the manufacture package is it gives you access to all vehicle systems beyond just what is available on the industry standard OBD2 network. It also allows you to read and clear soft codes which is valuable for finding things that standard readers don’t, as well as clearing tattle tale codes.

lonepeak

Reaction score
The LX might work for me as 2025 RAM only vehicle I’ll use it on. I’ll look at specs again to see if it will access specific RAM codes. I think most will. Thanks.

djaco

Reaction score
I checked the LX too, but it didn't seem to support the extended manufacturing codes for RAM. But maybe I just missed it in the documentation.

I got my truck back from the dealership; the issue was the starter relay circuit. They suspect there was a problem with the main battery which caused the starter relay circuit sensor to throw a code. They replaced both the batteries under warranty. I don't know which specific code it was, but one of the P0615, P0616, or P0617.

The dealership I picked up the truck from when I bought it (different dealership) was charging the battery, so clearly the battery was dead at some point or another.

lonepeak

Reaction score
I'm beginning to think with a new truck and the battery issues I read about including previous years one should just buy and install a high quality battery from the beginning.

ekholbrook

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2025 RAM 1500 BIGHORN 3.0 I HURRICANE twin-turbo with 420HP. With less than 1,000 miles on it, I am incredibly frustrated to have encountered an issue with the check engine light for the second time. Despite using premium gas and driving conservatively, I have had to drop off my truck for servic
2025 Rebel, same exact issue. Bought last week. Check engine light on Sunday, took in, got back Monday night... fine until Friday when I turn the car on.. Light again.

Was told in first it "appeared" like an engine misfire code and then some sort of stored response code that triggered the light.

I told the dealer car "felt" fine didn't feel lack of power or anything except in low speed take off from light (like really slow gradual increase with cars ahead of you). the feeling was rough.. not smooth like all the reviews said. Step on gas harder? fine. Super light? Jerky as hell. Maybe is related. Who knows.

This engine has been around for at least a year right? It's new only in the Ram but it's not a NEW engine

ekholbrook

Reaction score
2025 Rebel, same exact issue. Bought last week. Check engine light on Sunday, took in, got back Monday night... fine until Friday when I turn the car on.. Light again.

Was told in first it "appeared" like an engine misfire code and then some sort of stored response code that triggered the light.

I told the dealer car "felt" fine didn't feel lack of power or anything except in low speed take off from light (like really slow gradual increase with cars ahead of you). the feeling was rough.. not smooth like all the reviews said. Step on gas harder? fine. Super light? Jerky as hell. Maybe is related. Who knows.

This engine has been around for at least a year right? It's new only in the Ram but it's not a NEW engine
On note.. the check engine light didn't hit until 600 miles...

MKO

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2025 RAM 1500 BIGHORN 3.0 I HURRICANE twin-turbo with 420HP. With less than 1,000 miles on it, I am incredibly frustrated to have encountered an issue with the check engine light for the second time. Despite using premium gas and driving conservatively, I have had to drop off my truck for service again.

The first time, they ran tests but found nothing. A week later, the light returned, and now my truck is back in service. The lack of online information only adds to my frustration, as I am left without any clear understanding of the cause.

This is a brand-new vehicle, and such issues highlight a significant failure in the QA process. The company must address and resolve this problem promptly. This situation is unacceptable and cannot continue.
Same thing here I just purchased 2025 Ram 1500 Big Horn same Engine had 35 miles on it at purchase. At 550 miles check engine light came on, they were saying my gas was watered down oh and replaced a pinched fuel line. This morning started up check engine light again at 1088 miles, it's back at the shop. I filled with premium gas at a different gas station than before, so no not accepting that I caused the problem with bad gas! I am beyond frustrated and I was just reading about the lemon laws after 3x with the same issue can file a claim or whatever either way I am sooooo mad about this right now.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same thing here I just purchased 2025 Ram 1500 Big Horn same Engine had 35 miles on it at purchase. At 550 miles check engine light came on, they were saying my gas was watered down oh and replaced a pinched fuel line. This morning started up check engine light again at 1088 miles, it's back at the shop. I filled with premium gas at a different gas station than before, so no not accepting that I caused the problem with bad gas! I am beyond frustrated and I was just reading about the lemon laws after 3x with the same issue can file a claim or whatever either way I am sooooo mad about this right now.
Sounds like a stupid question, but is the self sealing gas cap flap sealing OK? That'll usually throw a check engine light...

Finnyatf

Reaction score
My 2025 sst had the check engine light come on twice. 1st was at 500 miles and the 2nd at 1100… i scanned it and it had multiple misfire codes. It runs fine at higher rpm but just cruising with light throttle it feels like its missing until i give it more throttle.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My 2025 sst had the check engine light come on twice. 1st was at 500 miles and the 2nd at 1100… i scanned it and it had multiple misfire codes. It runs fine at higher rpm but just cruising with light throttle it feels like its missing until i give it more throttle.
Are you running 87 or 91?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The dealership I picked up the truck from when I bought it (different dealership) was charging the battery, so clearly the battery was dead at some point or another.
Fun fact about all these new cars sitting, they all have to be pulled in and have the battery level documented, most have to have the battery charged. If this isn't done, the dealer gets charged back the prep from the manufacturer. Just because the battery was being charged, doesn't mean it was dead.

MKO

Reaction score
Sounds like a stupid question, but is the self sealing gas cap flap sealing OK? That'll usually throw a check engine light...
Yes seems so, They have had it for 2 days now said that Chrysler is involved because it's brand new 2025. At least they loaned me a 2024 Limited with a Hemi for my troubles with only 1000 miles on it so I'm still riding in luxury while we hopefully get this resolved! updates will follow...

lonepeak

Reaction score
Fun fact about all these new cars sitting, they all have to be pulled in and have the battery level documented, most have to have the battery charged. If this isn't done, the dealer gets charged back the prep from the manufacturer. Just because the battery was being charged, doesn't mean it was dead.
Agree with that as I even see standard ICE cars in showrooms on chargers as all the recent electrical do dads and people in and out of the cars can run down the battery. Not a good thing when the salesman is trying to sell it. My hope is that RAM will place highly rated batteries in their vehicles and not just the minimum. Not sure what they do - maybe like tires, the same trim can some with different makes of tires and they don't always rate highly according to Tire Rack and other sources. I assume same with batteries.

Users who are viewing this thread