5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2025 RAM 1500 BIGHORN 3.0 I HURRICANE twin-turbo, SO, 420HP - check engine light

Russian Tank

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2025 RAM 1500 BIGHORN 3.0 I HURRICANE twin-turbo with 420HP. With less than 1,000 miles on it, I am incredibly frustrated to have encountered an issue with the check engine light for the second time. Despite using premium gas and driving conservatively, I have had to drop off my truck for service again.

The first time, they ran tests but found nothing. A week later, the light returned, and now my truck is back in service. The lack of online information only adds to my frustration, as I am left without any clear understanding of the cause.

This is a brand-new vehicle, and such issues highlight a significant failure in the QA process. The company must address and resolve this problem promptly. This situation is unacceptable and cannot continue.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your situation and I understand your frustration. Hopefully your dealer figures it out promptly. But this is exactly the reason I avoid first model releases (not only new engines or vehicles, but also iPhone and technology).

MT755

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2025 RAM 1500 BIGHORN 3.0 I HURRICANE twin-turbo with 420HP. With less than 1,000 miles on it, I am incredibly frustrated to have encountered an issue with the check engine light for the second time. Despite using premium gas and driving conservatively, I have had to drop off my truck for service again.

The first time, they ran tests but found nothing. A week later, the light returned, and now my truck is back in service. The lack of online information only adds to my frustration, as I am left without any clear understanding of the cause.

This is a brand-new vehicle, and such issues highlight a significant failure in the QA process. The company must address and resolve this problem promptly. This situation is unacceptable and cannot continue.
Unfortunately the first model year of any brand has issues. My 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee had new electronics and it was a pain. Keep track of your visits. After 3 times to repair... the lemon law kicks in. Hopefully they get it ironed out

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What code is it throwing? AutoZone or a similar auto parts store can read codes for free or you can buy a Bluetooth OBDII adapter cheap on Amazon and use a free app with it.

What you're experiencing is hardly a QA failure and it sucks you're going through this, but without a bit more info no one here can help...

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Might I suggest buying your own code scanner so you can see what the code is?

Last edited:

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score

As frustrating it is, I think you are compounding it by expecting information on a new system. As time goes on more information will be available.

If you are venting about a minor inconvenience in your life, cool.

You want help, give us the code it set. I would think it was documented on your previous service order. Hopefully it's not the dreaded thermostat issue the Wagoneer has.....

lonepeak

Reaction score
A week after I got my new '15 Laramie I was driving and the check engine light came on. Called dealer and he said bring it in. Was just a fuel sensor don't remember exact details but never had a problem after that. Have 101,000 now and looking to get a 2025 soon. Hopefully the new ones will be just as reliable. Hang in there, like folks said the '25s are breaking new ground in some respects.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your situation and I understand your frustration. Hopefully your dealer figures it out promptly. But this is exactly the reason I avoid first model releases (not only new engines or vehicles, but also iPhone and technology
The engine has been out for a couple years in the wagoneer, so far thier doesn't seem to be any common issues. Someone mentioned a sticking thermastate on the Wagoneers but I have not heard of the issue with the Rams just yet. So far I have about 1,300 miles on mine with no issues. i can understand the frustration however, I hate going to the dealer especially with a new vehicle.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The engine has been out for a couple years in the wagoneer, so far thier doesn't seem to be any common issues. Someone mentioned a sticking thermastate on the Wagoneers but I have not heard of the issue with the Rams just yet. So far I have about 1,300 miles on mine with no issues. i can understand the frustration however, I hate going to the dealer especially with a new vehicle.
Still a little too new for my comfort. Hopefully that will change tho. I was at the dealer getting an oil change (free) this morning and a few Blacked Out Big Horns were in the lot with the SST. It def peaked my interest and would love to take one out for a spin. Just didn’t have the time today…

ZK840

Reaction score
2025 1500 Bighorn with Hurricane ~1,200 miles and my check engine light kicked in. Dealership desk OBD monitor didn't work - too new, so I have service appointment today to diagnose the issue. Plan to tow 25' RV in a few weeks and hopefully issue will not impact that trip :confused:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
2025 1500 Bighorn with Hurricane ~1,200 miles and my check engine light kicked in. Dealership desk OBD monitor didn't work - too new, so I have service appointment today to diagnose the issue. Plan to tow 25' RV in a few weeks and hopefully issue will not impact that trip :confused:
OBD2 is an industry standard. Sounds like the service desk needs a new OBD2 module for scanning codes if it didn't work. It can't be "too new" to read OBD codes

djaco

Reaction score
Ah man, I got my 2025 1500 Laramie yesterday and the check engine light came on today...only 53 miles on the clock. I also hope this is something they can quickly resolve. Taking it in tomorrow.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For those with the check engine lights, first, sorry for your troubles, but PLEASE ask for the error codes and post them here so we can see what the issues are.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ah man, I got my 2025 1500 Laramie yesterday and the check engine light came on today...only 53 miles on the clock. I also hope this is something they can quickly resolve. Taking it in tomorrow.
ANYone can read codes - no need to run back to a dealer to see whats up.

Keep us posted...

lonepeak

Reaction score
Car and Driver has ratings on OBD2 scanners. Can get good one less than $100.

djaco

Reaction score
I had my neighbor check it with his scanner, and it listed two codes, "No Failure" and "Not in Database". Unfortunately, I didn't get the actual code, I can only guess it's a manufacturer-specific code for the latter case.

I will keep you folks posted on what the dealership says.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OBDLink app plus one of their OBD2 dongles is a no brainer. Purchase their manufacture extended interface and you’ll have pretty much same access as the dealers as far as pulling and clearing codes.

We all spend plenty of money on tools and mods, but everyone should own a good scanner if they own a modern vehicle, no excuses.

Helps you not get rail-roaded by dealers, mechanics, and you can take it with you to look at cars you might buy.

It practically pays for itself!!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had my neighbor check it with his scanner, and it listed two codes, "No Failure" and "Not in Database". Unfortunately, I didn't get the actual code, I can only guess it's a manufacturer-specific code for the latter case.

I will keep you folks posted on what the dealership says.
Probably just hasn't updated his scanner in a while. Always get the actual code numbers. Then Google search making sure to look for RAM/Dodge specific codes

lonepeak

Reaction score
OBDLink app plus one of their OBD2 dongles is a no brainer. Purchase their manufacture extended interface and you’ll have pretty much same access as the dealers as far as pulling and clearing codes.

We all spend plenty of money on tools and mods, but everyone should own a good scanner if they own a modern vehicle, no excuses.

Helps you not get rail-roaded by dealers, mechanics, and you can take it with you to look at cars you might buy.

It practically pays for itself!!
Questiones. New to scanners as never had problem with my 2015 Laramie. Will a hundred dollar blue tooth scanner do the job? What is OBDLink app plus one of "their" dongles? And what is the mfg extended interface? Will the RAM codes change year to year? Plan to get one for new truck in case I throw a code while on a trip and determine if serious. Any advice welcome.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Questiones. New to scanners as never had problem with my 2015 Laramie. Will a hundred dollar blue tooth scanner do the job? What is OBDLink app plus one of "their" dongles? And what is the mfg extended interface? Will the RAM codes change year to year? Plan to get one for new truck in case I throw a code while on a trip and determine if serious. Any advice welcome.
I mean, a $12 OBD scan tool will check and clear codes just as good as a $100 one. Mostly depends on the app you are using.

Users who are viewing this thread