5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2025 brochure

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
They also tuned the Raptors exhaust to actually sound better, which currently the Hurricane doesn't. They pipe sound into more than their Raptors as well, their 3.5L standard F150s for example.

I'm not at all into fake noise. "piped" is downright sacrilegious, it's not a computer game.

Why do you need to get to the stoplight louder than the next truck?
Why do you need beautiful paint? The sound does something, it's "ear candy" just like the paint and other stuff you look at is eye candy. I hear my engine and feel the smooth linear acceleration literally every second I'm in it, but getting to the stoplight quicker does nothing but waste gas.

I was right there with you 40 years ago then I figured out there was no real benefit to louder exhaust and it really impresses no one but the owner.
It's not meant to impress anyone. Why do you think people are doing it to impress others? My engine is stock, and I like the way it sings. Me. Myself. I like listening to some tunes on the radio, it's for me and not others.

Even those who would go out and put louder exhaust on their truck are not impressed by your exhaust because they they have the same thing and will always believe theirs sounds better anyway.
Again, not about impressing others.

At least with more HP and torque, you can more quickly and safely merge into heavy freeway traffic, pass faster to reduce your time in an opposing traffic lane and more comfortably tow a load.

My truck already tows a load very comfortably. And I'll get far better MPG and have a much better sound while doing it, all while having no issues about overheating or reliability or blowing a tiny piston through my hood.

If I really want more power I'll drop in an SRT 6.4 for far less money than it costs you guys to upgrade to the turbos.

Yzcr87

Reaction score
The additional power will be awesome, but there will be one obvious downside. The exhaust will sound like a wet fart. Some will not care, but V8 enthusiasts will. There's a reason Ford pipes in fake exhaust sound into the cabin of their Raptors.
We always used to rent vehicles for our family road trips & for the last 3 trips (2,500mi each) we got stuck with 3.5 Ecoboost Expeditions, no Tahoes, Suburbans, etc were ever available. Hated the Expeditions with the passion of a thousand burning suns. The highway exhaust drone drove me nuts, drove my kids nuts which drove my wife nuts which drove me nuttier yet.
No redemption for the ecoboost in the MPG department either, they only got about .5mpg better on the highway at 70-80mph than my 3.92 geared Laramie with the ORG making the same trip... City mpg, my Laramie actually does better.

Yzcr87

Reaction score
Both right, as in performance and sound.

I came from a Ecoboost 2.7L in an F150 to my RAM. Honestly, that Ecoboost F150 was probably faster in most every metric compared to my RAM, but the sound my RAM produces, especially with an aftermarket exhaust, gives you a "sense of occasion" that a Honda Accord sounding V6 just can't do.

Sound it part of it, it's an important part of the motoring experience which is why car enthusiast are having a hard time with EVs in the sports car world, where the performance delta is even greater than comparing an old 5.7L vs I6TT. For many sports car guys, more fun driving an old Miata or E46 than some big power EV, part of that is the sound.

I was expecting the Hurricane, being an I6TT to sound more like a BMW or Nissan of similar configuration, but doesn't seem to be the case. If it did, I would be all in.
Agreed,
Econo-boxes are a tool, purchased as the cheapest option to get from A to B. Mini vans are a tool and like an econo-box, are function over form.
Challengers, Camaros, Miata's, Ford Muskrats etc...are always purchased for the experience they provide.
Trucks used to be a tool but, they've been changing into enthusiast vehicles for some time now. There's no other way to explain the level of debt sober folks are willing to put themselves in to purchase or personalize their pickups. Cosmetic or otherwise.
Sound is definitely a large part of the experience for me. BMW I6 sound? Cool... The agricultural sound of an old Ford 300 I6? I'll bite... The unmistakable sound of a 92' Ford Aerostar with a jacked up muffler laboring away from my driveway after pilfering my garbage cans for scrap metal? We all should be asked to sign a consent form before being subjected to that noise... I'm not even going to entertain the thought of a test drive if the sound takes away from the vehicles experience. Doesn't matter how great the MPG is, I'm not buying it if I dont love to drive it.

Last edited:

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I really want more power I'll drop in an SRT 6.4 for far less money than it costs you guys to upgrade to the turbos.

Appreciate the sentiment but it’s pretty cheap to upgrade turbos. But 2 giant top of the line honkers from Garrett on my EcoBoost for $2500. Including tuning.
And I expect it becomes cheaper still as they continue to turbo all the things.

But the sentiment remains… it still lacks soul even with a bunch of power. And to my ears no V8 sang a sweeter melody than the Hemi.

But I think everyone is a little bit mistaken about the new Hurricane sounding bad. I’d predict it simply won’t sound like anything at all, if the EcoBoost and other modern cars are anything to go by.

Only on special editions like Raptor did they give it any volume, and I suspect Ram will follow suit.

And that’s the issue. No soul.

It’s the aftermarket that gives you the wet fart.

silver billet

Reaction score
Appreciate the sentiment but it’s pretty cheap to upgrade turbos. But 2 giant top of the line honkers from Garrett on my EcoBoost for $2500. Including tuning.

I'm referring to buying a 2025 HO. It's far cheaper for me to drop in a 6.4 than it is to swap to a new 2025.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would love the ho straight 6 in a grand Cherokee but am not interested in a 6 cylinder truck. Looks like prices have jumped even more for a truck with a 6 cyl that tows less and gets less mpg. I think ram is going to loose quite a bit of their market share gains. The Hemi was legendary and what drew people to the brand. They should have invested in a new V8

silver billet

Reaction score
Looks like prices have jumped even more for a truck with a 6 cyl that tows less and gets less mpg.

This is a real head scratcher for me as well. How does that GCWR go down vs the less powerful v8. Cooling would be my first guess.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ll stick with my 22 non eTorque HEMI, thanks.
Same here, I barely drive my '19 Limited. It'll last a while...the '25 doesn't interest me one bit.

Hopefully, the GM twins and Ford will have better trucks out when I decide to go shopping again...

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm referring to buying a 2025 HO. It's far cheaper for me to drop in a 6.4 than it is to swap to a new 2025.

Ah gotcha that makes total sense.
Sort of have similar thoughts on lots of things right now, like real estate.

Could dump stupid money into my house and it would still be a better financial decision & more affordable than buying a new house right now.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Premium is a fortune these days, usually a dollar more than regular. That's an extra $20-30 depending on your tank. Fill up once a week that's $1000-1500 at the end of the year

Premium isn't that expensive. It's about 30-40 cents per gallon more than regular.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Premium isn't that expensive. It's about 30-40 cents per gallon more than regular.

Even less in some states, here it's about 10 cents above 89, which is 10 cents above 87. Roughly 20 cents above regular, but again only about 10 cents above what is the recommended fuel for the 5.7, 89 octane.

Dewey

Reaction score
80 cents more here for premium. Mid-grade is 60 cents more.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I use premium on my truck and I haven't seen it only 30 cents more than regulars in years.
At my local Shell it is currently $3.49 for regular and $4.49 for premium.

Any millage gained by these turbos (not likely any) is destroyed by the required use of higher octane fuel. There is no MPG advantage to the new 6 turbos from Ram just higher maintenance costs and dealership service fees (and for the next few years cost of destroyed turbos\engines due to being brand new for Stellantis while under factory warranty)

barrak

Reaction score
I do agree with this stentiment.
EV's have ruined the novelty of quickness for me, in all class of vehicles.
So the intangibles are what I am so interested in.

Much more interested in the "drive a slow car fast" mindset now.

Seriously doubt flooring an F-150 Lightening to 60 would get me the same visceral fun I had gunning my 1988 Mustang GT and its glorious 225 ponies, even though the former gets there twice as fast.

The pomp and circumstance does matter.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seriously doubt flooring an F-150 Lightening to 60 would get me the same visceral fun I had gunning my 1988 Mustang GT and its glorious 225 ponies, even though the former gets there twice as fast.

The pomp and circumstance does matter.
I did get to drive a Lightning a few weeks back.
Thing was nuts from a dig, then tappered out.
I came away marveling at the technical novelty of it, but ultimately glad to not have an EV.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hate obnoxiously loud exhaust on anything. Hell, I wouldn't mind if my truck was a little quieter, but that doesn't mean I want it to sound like a wet fart. You are confusing loud exhaust with good sounding exhaust. The low rumble of a V8 is much more appealing than the high pitched exhaust of a 4 or 6 cylinder engine.

I'm not confusing anything. I've heard the exhaust from a Wagoneer with the Hurricane engine and it sounds like no fart I've ever heard. It's just quiet.

Users who are viewing this thread