5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Ram electric pickup

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do think that would be a fantastic interim step. Frankly, I don’t know why GM didn’t go there years ago after the Volt and ELR. You’d think a truck would be a better application for profitability. Ford’s experiments with the Lincoln SUVs suggests they’ll get there first.
I mean Lutz did it full stop with the ViaTrux. wtf. all they needed was the bolt power packs under the bed and boom. take a rock solid bullet proof GM v6 with a bolt pack or two. There ya go.

I easily think it would be because it would have been the end of big block engineering. without nerfing the EV powertrain a "good" electric even the ELR motors could put down enough power and torque to shame most of GMs V8 powerplants. Seeing tesla putting down 1000+hp and torque and sub 2sec 0-60 times is all you need to see that big blocks are dead. The only reason for the ICE is mobile power generation until the infrastructure or technology for batteries catch up.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I mean Lutz did it full stop with the ViaTrux. wtf. all they needed was the bolt power packs under the bed and boom. take a rock solid bullet proof GM v6 with a bolt pack or two. There ya go.

I easily think it would be because it would have been the end of big block engineering. without nerfing the EV powertrain a "good" electric even the ELR motors could put down enough power and torque to shame most of GMs V8 powerplants. Seeing tesla putting down 1000+hp and torque and sub 2sec 0-60 times is all you need to see that big blocks are dead. The only reason for the ICE is mobile power generation until the infrastructure or technology for batteries catch up.
Yup. That's what I initially thought the E-torque was before I read more about it. Coming from another brand I went "Hey cool, I can have electric power for my work commute, then a V8 when I need it!" I'd love a 50 mile electric motor that's backed up by gas for long trips. As it is now, my longest daily commute is 35 miles round trip to daycare and back because of remote working.

slatersan

Reaction score
We should not let the federal government force consumer behavior by making fuel so expensive they force us to convert to these political ideals.

Same applies to the government subsidizing the richest industry on earth. If you don't like government interference, be consistent.

Last edited:

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's been a lot of talk, but no actual production, of a battery powered EV (oops, "Remote Exhaust Vehicle") with a built-in generator rated for full power.

An ICE in a vehicle has to perform across a wide gamut of load. A specific design point for a generator (single load, single rpm) can make an ICE incredibly efficient. I mean...incredibly.

Toss a battery in a vehicle, electric motors to drive the wheels, and an ICE generator that can charge the battery...and Bob's your uncle. The generator output/battery charge rate should be sufficient to have the generator produce full rated motor torque indefinitely. That's the problem.
(You've got to be able to charge the battery faster than it can discharge.)

Something like that is less efficient than a fully electric vehicle, but far more flexible and with an almost unlimited range (just gotta fill the fuel tank occasionally, when you don't have a charge station nearby).

Drawbacks are: it still uses fuel, it adds weight, it adds complexity/maintenance, it costs more.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You don't NEED to be able to charge the battery faster than you can discharge it. You use the battery as a buffer. You need the ICE engine to be able to sustain a minimal charge + extra at cruising speed only. This is how the volt and most other hybrid or PHEV's work.

You will always be able to pull WAY more power out of the pack than the generator could supply on demand. The generators are usually rated for 60-100kW sustained charging. The Electric motors though can use 250-500kW of power during acceleration. However that would be brief as once the vehicle is moving the power draw drops substantially. You may only need 20kW to maintain highway speed leaving up to 40kW of power available to charge to either restore the buffer, or recharge the battery pack. Generally it is inefficient to charge the pack from the ICE as it costs more in fuel than if you used a grid charger, BUT you can charge much faster this way and on demand while still on the move. There's usually 2-3 maps for the engine to ramp up power charging rates. a nominal idle speed to make 7-10 kW, a sustain in the peak efficiency range of the ICE engine of about 40kW and a max output of the full 60kW which uses considerably more fuel.

There's also power to be "gained" from braking energy capture, instead of wasting it as heat through the brakes. Although never braking would save you even more energy, stopping is far more important than going.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There's been a lot of talk, but no actual production, of a battery powered EV (oops, "Remote Exhaust Vehicle") with a built-in generator rated for full power.
Yes, there are...they're called "locomotives" and "ships" :) They use some rather large generators (i.e. giant diesel engines, in most cases) in series with electric motors for propulsion. To be fair, depending on the application, there may or may not be batteries in the mix.

Also, the Chevy Volt / Cadillac ELR were series hybrids up to 70 mph. The Fisker Karma was a series hybrid. The range-extended BMW i3 is a series hybrid.

There's so much potential in this area...

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same applies to the government subsidizing the richest industry on earth. If you don't like government interference, be consistent.
Personally I am consistent in my belief that the federal government doesn't belong in the business of subsidizing anything that doesn't have some relation to this countries security. By the same token they should also not be in the business of penalizing businesses that don't align with their desires. There are plenty of examples of all of the above and we the people should eliminate them from being within the governments jurisdiction.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, there are...they're called "locomotives" and "ships" :) They use some rather large generators (i.e. giant diesel engines, in most cases) in series with electric motors for propulsion. To be fair, depending on the application, there may or may not be batteries in the mix.

Also, the Chevy Volt / Cadillac ELR were series hybrids up to 70 mph. The Fisker Karma was a series hybrid. The range-extended BMW i3 is a series hybrid.

There's so much potential in this area...
The big problem with the Chevy Volt was that as soon as the battery ran out, the generator was significantly less powerful. In effect, it was "full" power for about 100 miles, then about half-powered after that.

Hence my reason for a "full-power" generator.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Personally I am consistent in my belief that the federal government doesn't belong in the business of subsidizing anything that doesn't have some relation to this countries security. By the same token they should also not be in the business of penalizing businesses that don't align with their desires. There are plenty of examples of all of the above and we the people should eliminate them from being within the governments jurisdiction.
so you'd rather china keep making everything and underbid labor to drive domestic production below cost? Let them make all the parts and only assemble it in the US. Sell natural resources and minerals below cost and drive competition out? Only until they decide to capitalize on that monopoly, economically or militarily? That's the reason tariffs and subsidies exist. To maintain innovation and domestic production capabilities and make them economically viable. Especially when they may be needed in a crisis. You dont consider that most US companies are wholly reliant on cheap foreign labor and production a security risk? That 80% of the worlds semiconductor capacity of modern <15nm fabrication is in China or Taiwan?

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
so you'd rather china keep making everything and underbid labor to drive domestic production below cost? Let them make all the parts and only assemble it in the US. Sell natural resources and minerals below cost and drive competition out? Only until they decide to capitalize on that monopoly, economically or militarily? That's the reason tariffs and subsidies exist. To maintain innovation and domestic production capabilities and make them economically viable. Especially when they may be needed in a crisis. You dont consider that most US companies are wholly reliant on cheap foreign labor and production a security risk? That 80% of the worlds semiconductor capacity of modern <15nm fabrication is in China or Taiwan?
And you think our government can correct these issues? They have done such a great job of it thus far eh? You think suddenly all these items will magically start being made in the US because of tariffs? I got my laugh for the day. I hasn't happened yet and it won happen because our idiot politicians are too busy transforming this country into a bunch of liberal sheep.
I'm not sure how this conversation got here but my point is that the government doesn't belong in the business of deciding winners and losers in the market place, period.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not trying to antagonize you. I will try another analogy. Lets use oil, or soybeans and corn. The US used to be reliant on foreign oil up until newer technologies allowed domestic oilfield exploitation or non traditional sources and not just basin pumped oil to be economically viable. A foreign government with the appropriate resources natural or otherwise can produce a glut on the world market that even if they sell at a loss, they can absorb it. This makes domestic production useless if you can just buy it for less, much less. Once you get "addicted" and your domestic capabilities dwindle, presto that glut goes away and now you are subject to the whims of the foreign power.

Oil was the big thing. Now for the US it is soybeans, wheat and corn, and cigarettes. Tariffs and duties protect the domestic prices from manipulation by creating price floors. The only place for that is for a government to do. It *should* be based on economic interest , security and self reliance, and not just on the whims of politicians who want to use them as leverage for whatever, or to stick it to China/Russia/Whoever. But that is how it goes.

If you don't have these, you get an oil embargo like the 70's. you get what is happening right now because of shortsighted leadership.

They should not be used to to make money or to coerce foreign relations to get your way. They should be used to protect vital industries.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ev truck will get here....can’t stop evolution. I’m on board with one...maybe after the first year or two when it comes out.

Should start with a hybrid option first due to distance it covers. Then full electric option...once they can get that mileage to over 300-400 miles, and have quick charging times ( it would be great to get charging times to about 30-45 mins.)

Don’t know about you folks, but I’m a bit disappointed with this “etorque” system. It’s just essentially a bigger alternator. It doesn’t give you an engine boost, can’t drive in electric mode, and just really eases just a little shifting in the engine.

I hope it’s replaced by some that lets you drive in electric mode...even if it’s for 50 miles...it’s progress towards a fully electric truck.

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie, 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Adrianp89

Reaction score
“I can fill up in 5 minutes” - Half the east coast can’t even get gas right now. Bet that Tesla road trip is sounding a lot easier right now.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
“I can fill up in 5 minutes” - Half the east coast can’t even get gas right now. Bet that Tesla road trip is sounding a lot easier right now.

giphy.gif

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie, 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Users who are viewing this thread