5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Ram MPG Upgrades - Hemi E-torque

RAM_Davis

Reaction score
First post is to insult people? Nice.

And who said 3.21 wasn't capable? They're rated up to about 8k or so towing, and if you're never going to get close to that, then 3.21 is a good choice. It's a poor choice for my needs.
Maybe you shouldn't assume.
I didn't insult you.

"I bought the RAM for it's capabilities, not for a daily driver to work and back."

That's basically saying that the 3.21 isn't capable.

caschill

Reaction score
If mileage is really important, why did you buy a full size pickup with a big V8? There's plenty of other options with better mileage.

Having said that, in theory yes you will get slightly better mileage with taller gearing. However your wallet probably won't notice the difference after paying for the swap. RAMs come with 3.21, 3.55, or 3.92 rear ends and your driving habits will likely make a bigger impact on MPG than the gearing. I chose 3.92 for max towing capacity although I only tow about 5k, so the engine and tranny doesn't work as hard with the lower gearing. I get 22-23 driving on the highway at 65-68 mph with two people, a full tank of gas and empty truck. A bed cover doesn't make any difference either, but I have a hard cover for security and to keep my spray-in bed liner clean.

I recently grabbed a pic from a highway run of about 40 miles and hit 23.6 mpg. I reset my trip as soon as I was on the highway and up to speed, and set the cruise at 68 mph. I'm driving a CDN truck so it shows in km but I have the mpg set as US gallons for direct comparisons. I took this pic when I stopped at the light at the end of the off ramp where it dropped to 23.5 as seen in the pic below (click to enlarge):

View attachment 165883
How many miles on the odometer when you were getting such great mileage? My '24 5.7 e torque with 3.92 and 6000 only gets 18mpg at 65-70mph. I drive at or just a couple of mph over the speed limit, even less if I'm not in anyone's way. I'm super easy on start ups and slow downs too.TIA

Yzcr87

Reaction score
How many miles on the odometer when you were getting such great mileage? My '24 5.7 e torque with 3.92 and 6000 only gets 18mpg at 65-70mph. I drive at or just a couple of mph over the speed limit, even less if I'm not in anyone's way. I'm super easy on start ups and slow downs too.TIA
Similar truck, see sig. I'm at 25,000mi now & see the same with my 111mi commute at 65-70mph. Averaging 17.5ish on winter fuel, 18.5ish in summer. Hand calculated, 87/89 octane made no difference.

23RAM

Reaction score
How many miles on the odometer when you were getting such great mileage? My '24 5.7 e torque with 3.92 and 6000 only gets 18mpg at 65-70mph.
It's right there in the pic - 6,193km or 3,848 miles. Look at your RPM when cruising, if it's hitting 2000 then the VVT is starting to open up and sucks more fuel. At 68mph I'm just under the 2k point and that's when I can hit 23mpg, as long as there is no strong headwind. Your 18mpg sounds like an average rating. My 23mpg is highway cruising only.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's right there in the pic - 6,193km or 3,848 miles. Look at your RPM when cruising, if it's hitting 2000 then the VVT is starting to open up and sucks more fuel. At 68mph I'm just under the 2k point and that's when I can hit 23mpg, as long as there is no strong headwind. Your 18mpg sounds like an average rating. My 23mpg is highway cruising only.
Anyone that compares truck to truck MPG is comparing apples and oranges. NO two trucks, even when optioned the same, ARE the same when performance and or MPG are compared. With the number of components, differences in machining, and a multitude of other things such as all the software, driving style, geographic location, weather, and many other differences, comparison is a non-starter.
Don't do it. It will drive you nuts trying to get the same as the other gut/gal. It is what it is. Live with it or get a Prius.
But then, those owners do the same $h!t.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Same.
My 2023' 3.92, 5.7 et, Ltd, empty, grandpa driver, gets18 point something based on the computer when on the highway at 65-70. (3K miles)
Previous 3.21 Ltd non et 5.7 (2019) with 12K miles got 21 on the same roads, same speeds. It's like driving the 3.21 in 7th...

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Anyone that compares truck to truck MPG is comparing apples and oranges. NO two trucks, even when optioned the same, ARE the same when performance and or MPG are compared. With the number of components, differences in machining, and a multitude of other things such as all the software, driving style, geographic location, weather, and many other differences, comparison is a non-starter.
Don't do it. It will drive you nuts trying to get the same as the other gut/gal. It is what it is. Live with it or get a Prius.
But then, those owners do the same $h!t.
Pretty much true. Sorta flies in the face of what you'd think as far as one truck to another, see below:
My son had the almost identical 2019 as I had, same everything except the 6'4" bed to my 5'7". He consistently got 3 mpg worse. When I drove it I got maybe 1 mpg better, so it was the truck more than the driver. Neither of us bought trucks for mpg's...

cliffsta

Reaction score
Staying off the interstate helps too. Much better mileage at 55 than at 70-75. Turning off the AC. Using aero mode if you have air suspension.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Staying off the interstate helps too. Much better mileage at 55 than at 70-75. Turning off the AC. Using aero mode if you have air suspension.
Depends on what part of the country you live in.
Around here if you are not on the highway you ain't going anywhere close to 55 and hitting stoplights and or stop and go traffic which kills your mpg way more.
On these trucks, esp with eTorque which has been forced onto at 1500s since 2023 you are gaining any MPG by turning the AC off, there is more than enough electricity generated by the eTorque generator to run the systems

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nobody, except you it seems, bases their MPG off of what the dash displays when cruising. Even the EPA rating is "average". And it's also calculated using miles driven divided by fuel used. I think the EPA uses fuel flow rates to determine fuel used since going off of what the pump puts in the tank isnt as accurate.

cliffsta

Reaction score
Around here if you are not on the highway you ain't going anywhere close to 55 and hitting stoplights and or stop and go traffic which kills your mpg way more.
On these trucks, esp with eTorque which has been forced onto at 1500s since 2023 you are gaining any MPG by turning the AC off, there is more than enough electricity generated by the eTorque generator to run the systems
The AC compressor isn’t on the same belt as the etorque, is it?

6of36

Reaction score
You must live in a bad area for driving. Even in Michigan suburbs, we have 55 MPH main roads. The road at the end of my girlfriends subdivision, it's 55. In the ghetto city of Detroit, the freeways are 55, but as soon as you hit the suburbs it's 70, and northern half of the state is 75.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The A/C compressor isn't electric. It's belt driven, so when A/C is on inputs extra load in the engine.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You must live in a bad area for driving. Even in Michigan suburbs, we have 55 MPH main roads. The road at the end of my girlfriends subdivision, it's 55. In the ghetto city of Detroit, the freeways are 55, but as soon as you hit the suburbs it's 70, and northern half of the state is 75.
I live in a bad area to live, it's called Massachusetts.
Highways are 65, most city roads are 25-40. It's rare to see anything 45-55 except parts of rt9, which has stp lights every mile or so across the entire state.

The A/C compressor isn't electric. It's belt driven, so when A/C is on inputs extra load in the engine.
I guess I must be mistaken. I thought the AC was powered by electricity, the alternator or in this case the generator with it's belts.

23RAM

Reaction score
Nobody, except you it seems, bases their MPG off of what the dash displays when cruising.
I didn't base my mileage off what the dash displays while cruising. It was a ramp to ramp highway run and I was stopped when I took the pic. And I posted that pic explaining the conditions because someone said it was impossible to get 23mpg under any conditions with 3.92 gears - I proved him wrong and he didn't like it. Not my problem.

I've done summer highway trips where I average 20-21 mpg. He says that's not possible either because he can't do it...but again not my problem.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't base my mileage off what the dash displays while cruising. It was a ramp to ramp highway run and I was stopped when I took the pic. And I posted that pic explaining the conditions because someone said it was impossible to get 23mpg under any conditions with 3.92 gears - I proved him wrong and he didn't like it. Not my problem.

I've done summer highway trips where I average 20-21 mpg. He says that's not possible either because he can't do it...but again not my problem.
I mean, I can go to Denver, fill up and stop in Sterling, Co and probably have better numbers. Doesn't really mean anything. Which is why you to average for a full tank. And unless you actually top off the tank and do the calculations based on miles driven and actual fuel used, it's pointless

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

It's impossible to get 23 mpg with 3.92 gears unless you are cheating the system.
Someone posted 36mpg going down the mountain with 3.92 gears in that same thread, your numbers are a joke.

Users who are viewing this thread