5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Ram MPG Upgrades - Hemi E-torque

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I say 55 mph is highway speed. Maybe I’m used to this because every speedometer on every vehicle had it clearly marked years ago.

1693109445296.png

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unfortunately for us the speed limit here is 100 km/h or 62 mph. If I was doing 75+ (120+ km/h) tickets would start to pile up. :)

Taller gears would help if you don't need/want towing or cargo capability.
But then I have to question why buy a full size pickup if you don't need the cargo/towing capability?
I bought the RAM for it's capabilities, not for a daily driver to work and back.

Yeah I get that...we're paying over $6 a gallon here too. :(
My truck is 3.21 and I use my truck to haul and tow heavy all the time with farm stuff at long distances with hills. Maybe more than you.

I sought out and ordered a 3.21 over my past 3.92 1/2 ton. I do a lot of the hauling and towing on the expressway also. It works great, better mileage, about 400 rpm less at 70+ mph in 8th gear in comparison.

So, I think there is a misconception that you have that only a 3.92 can be used “ if you need hauling/ towing capabilities“. You run out of payload capabilities far sooner than needing the shorter gears IMO.

I have used HD trucks mainly in the past for what I do, but I thought I would try the 1/2 tons.
I still use a 3/4, looking for a 1 ton for equipment, but the 3.21 1/2 ton is great for comfort, zipping around, long family trips, with descent hauling and towing.

Will probably always have a 1/2 ton, and it will always be a 3.21. Same capability in my mind, with better mileage.

Last edited:

23RAM

Reaction score
I think there is a misconception that you have that only a 3.92 can be used “ if you need hauling/ towing capabilities“.
No misconceptions...3.92 is required for trailering over about 8k. I wanted 3.92 for the max capability knowing I would tow 8.5k occasionally.
3.21. Same capability in my mind, with better mileage.
3.92 gearing gives you about 3,000 lbs more towing capacity with the same truck setup over 3.21. I tow a 5k trailer regularly, but I've towed up to 8.5k. With 3.21 gearing it would be over the SAE J2807 limit by a few hundred pounds. If you will never need that higher capability, then 3.21 is the better choice.

Oddly enough, RAM promotes the E-Torque system as being more capable, when in fact the regular 5.7L tows over 100 lbs more and has 70 lbs more payload capability with the same truck configuration. That wasn't a factor in my decision - it was the cost of E-Torque over fuel savings - it wouldn't pay for itself over the life of the truck so I didn't want it.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No misconceptions...3.92 is required for trailering over about 8k. I wanted 3.92 for the max capability knowing I would tow 8.5k occasionally.

3.92 gearing gives you about 3,000 lbs more towing capacity with the same truck setup over 3.21. I tow a 5k trailer regularly, but I've towed up to 8.5k. With 3.21 gearing it would be over the SAE J2807 limit by a few hundred pounds. If you will never need that higher capability, then 3.21 is the better choice.

Oddly enough, RAM promotes the E-Torque system as being more capable, when in fact the regular 5.7L tows over 100 lbs more and has 70 lbs more payload capability with the same truck configuration. That wasn't a factor in my decision - it was the cost of E-Torque over fuel savings - it wouldn't pay for itself over the life of the truck so I didn't want it.

The towing numbers are deceiving IMO. For these 1/2 tons, the payload is what is limiting in all cases for what I do.

I would not personally tow 8,000+ lbs in these 1/2 tons. I would use a 1 ton.

Last edited:

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Installation mg performance enhancing parts isn’t going to increase mpg. That’s counterintuitive.

The only thing you can do it baby it, stay out the city, don’t remote start or idle, set the cruise when you can, and keep it 55mph and under.
That's no fun! 17 mpg on computer unless I drive hwy.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Every truck is different, and everyone's opinion is different. We all picked for a reason, and we all drive differently, in different terrains, and in different traffic situations. Anyone who compares one truck/car to another has an id10t problem. NO amount of BS on any forum is going to change an opinion. You like yours, he likes his, and y'all need to learn that if we all were the same we'd be like the guy next to you, and he's an idiot.🤪

23RAM

Reaction score
I would not personally tow 8,000+ lbs in these 1/2 tons. I would use a 1 ton.
With 3.21 gears, I agree. But my 3.92 hauls 8.5k very well. Pulling the 5k boat I can barely tell it's back there. A friend uses his 2019 RAM to haul his 10k cabin cruiser every weekend and no complaints in 4 years. The SAE J2807 standard is actually pretty rigorous and pushes test vehicles hard. Most people will never be in those situations so I'd expect no issues hauling up to rated amounts.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
With 3.21 gears, I agree. But my 3.92 hauls 8.5k very well. Pulling the 5k boat I can barely tell it's back there. A friend uses his 2019 RAM to haul his 10k cabin cruiser every weekend and no complaints in 4 years. The SAE J2807 standard is actually pretty rigorous and pushes test vehicles hard. Most people will never be in those situations so I'd expect no issues hauling up to rated amounts.

Pretty sure he was referring to safety when he spoke about the 1500/3.21/3.92 towing weight.

20230120_122241 (1).jpg
My 3.21's towed this all steel Max D trailer equipped with air ride, electric trailer brakes, Air compressor, two batteries, winch and power trailer tongue jack. It weighs 5500lbs by itself and had a 3000lb car on it.
Could I tow it? Yes, no issues. Would I want to tow that much weight with a 1500 regularly? F no and let me reiterate, F NO.
The 1500 doesn't have enough truck for that much weight, the rear gears played zero role in my discomfort towing that much weight safely. If I towed this kinda weight with any regularity, I'd have a 2500 or 3500

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score

These trucks can tow a lot. Rated amounts are certainly impressive.

I just cant get close to the rated tow amounts if I honor the payload numbers. My truck has low payload numbers, and none have high numbers.

Its good it works for you.

BowDown

Reaction score
These trucks can tow a lot. Rated amounts are certainly impressive.

I just cant get close to the rated tow amounts if I honor the payload numbers. My truck has low payload numbers, and none have high numbers.

Its good it works for you.

Yep and mine has one of the higher payload amounts I've seen for a limited and its only 128x or 138x lbs. No way Id tow 10-11K with these trucks. The guy that owns the trailer in my pic above even went from a F250 to a F350 for that reason and he drives trucks for a living, owns a dump truck business with ~15 of trucks

331068772_219669813768815_6959334806650203629_n.jpg

He didn't like the way his F250 felt with 10K lbs

Last edited:

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pretty sure he was referring to safety when he spoke about the 1500/3.21/3.92 towing weight.

View attachment 166074
My 3.21's towed this all steel Max D trailer equipped with air ride, electric trailer brakes, Air compressor, two batteries, winch and power trailer tongue jack. It weighs 5500lbs by itself and had a 3000lb car on it.
Could I tow it? Yes, no issues. Would I want to tow that much weight with a 1500 regularly? F no and let me reiterate, F NO.
The 1500 doesn't have enough truck for that much weight, the rear gears played zero role in my discomfort towing that much weight safely. If I towed this kinda weight with any regularity, I'd have a 2500 or 3500

Agreed.

Safely and comfortably.

You’re only as good as your last mistake. I’ve made many.

BowDown

Reaction score
Agreed.

Safely and comfortably.

You’re only as good as your last mistake. I’ve made many.

100%, sad thing is it doesn't even take you making the mistake; with the idiots we share the road with and that much weight, all it takes is one mistake on anyone's part. I found myself damn near driving backwards when I towed that trailer with the car on it. Every time someone changed lanes in front of me, it was back up another 150'.
YouTube is full of videos of too much load and too little of truck

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep and mine has one of the higher payload amounts I've seen for a limited and its only 128x or 138x lbs. No way Id tow 10-11K with these trucks. The guy that owns the trailer in my pic above even went from a F250 to a F350 for that reason and he drives trucks for a living, owns a dump truck business with ~15 of trucks

View attachment 166077

He didn't like the way his F250 felt with 10K lbs

I personally don’t know why people get a 3/4 vs 1 ton.

Some say comfort. I say Bologna.

I‘ve already made that mistake.

RAM_Davis

Reaction score
Unfortunately for us the speed limit here is 100 km/h or 62 mph. If I was doing 75+ (120+ km/h) tickets would start to pile up. :)

Taller gears would help if you don't need/want towing or cargo capability.
But then I have to question why buy a full size pickup if you don't need the cargo/towing capability?
I bought the RAM for it's capabilities, not for a daily driver to work and back.

Yeah I get that...we're paying over $6 a gallon here too. :(
Pretty silly to imply that 3.21 gears aren't capable.

Only trucks with 8 foot beds are REAL trucks. Only HD/2500/Diesel/8 foot beds/4.10 gears/4x4/etc etc are REAL trucks... whatever

23RAM

Reaction score
Pretty silly to imply that 3.21 gears aren't capable.
First post is to insult people? Nice.

And who said 3.21 wasn't capable? They're rated up to about 8k or so towing, and if you're never going to get close to that, then 3.21 is a good choice. It's a poor choice for my needs.
Maybe you shouldn't assume.

Users who are viewing this thread