5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Ram MPG Upgrades - Hemi E-torque

jpuck0720

Reaction score
Has anyone actually had any luck with upgrades that make a difference in MPG?
I know the biggest factor is the driver, and I also know most cars may benefit from a throttle body spacer, cold air intake, tuner, and sometimes exhaust.
With all that said, has anyone actually installed anything and noticed a difference? Even if it was 3-5 different things that were installed to make a difference?

P.S. I know these are trucks and not cars or a prius.... but I have kids in travel sports and drive 40-50k miles a year so anything helps.

Last edited:

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone actually had any luck with upgrades that make a difference in MPG?
I know the biggest factor is the driver, and I also know most cars may benefit from a throttle body spacer, cold air intake, tuner, and sometimes exhaust.
With all that said, has anyone actually installed anything and noticed a difference? Even if it was 3-5 different things that were installed to make a difference?

P.S. I know these are trucks and not cars or a prius.... but I have kids in travel sports and drive 40-50k miles a year so anything helps.
Cause and effect…
Add in a throttle body spacer. Power feels so great, you can’t help stepping on it.
Change out the exhaust. Sounds awesome. Sounds even better when you step on it.
CAI…well, we all kinda know what these don’t do.
Add in a tuner. But to get the most out of said tuner, you’ll need to run 91+ octane and on performance mode. It feels so great when you step on it.
I have all but a throttle body installed and can attest…these do not help with saving mileage. They only add to the fun of having this V8.
All sarcasm aside, your best mod is your right foot taking it easy. That and don’t do anything to it. Really, most mods make your mileage worse, lol. 😂
Good luck🤙🏽

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Buy a Peddle Commander and drive every day in Eco mode.😆

I tried that and my mileage dramatically improved by 3-4 mpg but felt like I was driving a 4 cyl due to so much less accelerator response. That few day experiment couldn’t end quick enough. I like the gas peddle too much.

DeanM2

Reaction score
How about regearing????
My 2023 5.7L hemi came with 3.90 gears. I do a lot of freeway driving, don't tow, and can give up some power.. If I go to 3.50 or 3.30 ( I know those aren't the exact ratios) will I see some improvement?

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't you think that if there were easy fixes to gain MPG Stellantis would do that from the factory? Every MPG gained is a positive for marketing and helpful for EPA CAFE standards.

Dewey

Reaction score
Remove your Active Air Dam. I’m serious.😆
My gas mileage showed a slight increase after removing. That’s some real great engineering there.🙄

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
How about regearing????
My 2023 5.7L hemi came with 3.90 gears. I do a lot of freeway driving, don't tow, and can give up some power.. If I go to 3.50 or 3.30 ( I know those aren't the exact ratios) will I see some improvement?
Re-gearing a brand new 2023 is a terrible idea imo. 3.21s get way better mpg then 3.92s at highway speeds.

23RAM

Reaction score
How about regearing????
If mileage is really important, why did you buy a full size pickup with a big V8? There's plenty of other options with better mileage.

Having said that, in theory yes you will get slightly better mileage with taller gearing. However your wallet probably won't notice the difference after paying for the swap. RAMs come with 3.21, 3.55, or 3.92 rear ends and your driving habits will likely make a bigger impact on MPG than the gearing. I chose 3.92 for max towing capacity although I only tow about 5k, so the engine and tranny doesn't work as hard with the lower gearing. I get 22-23 driving on the highway at 65-68 mph with two people, a full tank of gas and empty truck. A bed cover doesn't make any difference either, but I have a hard cover for security and to keep my spray-in bed liner clean.

I recently grabbed a pic from a highway run of about 40 miles and hit 23.6 mpg. I reset my trip as soon as I was on the highway and up to speed, and set the cruise at 68 mph. I'm driving a CDN truck so it shows in km but I have the mpg set as US gallons for direct comparisons. I took this pic when I stopped at the light at the end of the off ramp where it dropped to 23.5 as seen in the pic below (click to enlarge):

mpg.jpg

BowDown

Reaction score
If mileage is really important, why did you buy a full size pickup with a big V8? There's plenty of other options with better mileage.

Having said that, in theory yes you will get slightly better mileage with taller gearing. However your wallet probably won't notice the difference after paying for the swap. RAMs come with 3.21, 3.55, or 3.92 rear ends and your driving habits will likely make a bigger impact on MPG than the gearing. I chose 3.92 for max towing capacity although I only tow about 5k, so the engine and tranny doesn't work as hard with the lower gearing. I get 22-23 driving on the highway at 65-68 mph with two people, a full tank of gas and empty truck. A bed cover doesn't make any difference either, but I have a hard cover for security and to keep my spray-in bed liner clean.

I recently grabbed a pic from a highway run of about 40 miles and hit 23.6 mpg. I reset my trip as soon as I was on the highway and up to speed, and set the cruise at 68 mph. I'm driving a CDN truck so it shows in km but I have the mpg set as US gallons for direct comparisons. I took this pic when I stopped at the light at the end of the off ramp where it dropped to 23.5 as seen in the pic below (click to enlarge):

View attachment 165883

That average isn't 68mph, thats ~65 mph
66Km = 41 miles
38min = .63 of an hour
41 miles / .63 min = 65. That additional 3 mph makes a big difference

BowDown

Reaction score
How about regearing????

Unless you're going to keep the truck for a long time, regearing is a poor decision unless you can find a guy with a 3.21 truck looking to change and you just swap drive axles assembles

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nothing....just not gonna happen on a full size truck.

2022 Ram Big Horn Back Country
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

23RAM

Reaction score
That average isn't 68mph, thats ~65 mph
66Km = 41 miles
38min = .63 of an hour
41 miles / .63 min = 65. That additional 3 mph makes a big difference
Yup your math is right, but you're assuming the time is all driving. I was stopped at a light getting my phone out to take the pic, so actual driving time is more like 36 minutes. I set the cruise at 109 km/h (67.7 mph) because that's faster than the semi's and below the threshold of police lidar traps.

Last edited:

BowDown

Reaction score
Yup your math is right, but you're assuming the time is all driving. I was stopped at a light getting my phone out to take the pic, so actual driving time is more like 36 minutes. I set the cruise at 109 km/h (67.7 mph) because that's faster than the semi's and below the threshold of police lidar traps.

I'm not assuming anything, your mpg is distance divided by time, just as you posted in that pic. If you idled any of that time, that's still part of your mpg.
This is what you said
I recently grabbed a pic from a highway run of about 40 miles and hit 23.6 mpg
The math doesn't support that, period. The math says you were going 65 mph, not 68. 65 mph is slow enough that you could get to 20 or 21 mpg.

Now, in comparison, here's mine

20210816_085549.jpg

Distance= 294 miles
MPG 21.5
Average speed 294 miles / 4.2 hours = 70 mph avg
That includes any idle time and is an accurate measurement of what the truck did on that trip, door to door and Houston rush hour. If your time includes idle time, that's part of the trip and the avg mpg. Anything else is cherry picking. Also, your economy isn't going to drop that quick sitting at a light getting your phone out, if it is, then your trip mileage is far shorter than 41 miles

Last edited:

23RAM

Reaction score
I'm not assuming anything, your mpg is distance divided by time,
Don't know if that's a typo, but it's wrong - mpg is NOT based on distance divided by time - time is not a factor with mpg. It's based on fuel consumed over distance.
Distance/time is mph.
The math doesn't support that, period. The math says you were going 65 mph, not 68. 65 mph is slow enough that you could get to 20 or 21 mpg.
Unfortunately you're calculating based on 38 minutes of driving, which is wrong, as I said. Sitting at a light drops your mpg because you're not moving but still consuming fuel. The time interval continues to climb whether you're moving or not and the longer you sit idle, the lower the speed average becomes.

I was driving the same speed along that stretch of highway just like every other time - 67.7 mph (109 km/h) with the cruise on like always. Unlike many people, I use cruise control any time I'm on a stretch of road without stops. Going to work I have a couple of 30 and 40 mph zones before and after the 50 mph zone - I use cruise in all of those areas as speed traps are often set up along there so I don't have to watch my speedo. Keeping it under 2000 rpm also keeps fuel consumption reasonable - my mpg drops off above 70 mph and 2000 rpm and up.

BowDown

Reaction score
Don't know if that's a typo, but it's wrong - mpg is NOT based on distance divided by time - time is not a factor with mpg. It's based on fuel consumed over distance.
Distance/time is mph.

Unfortunately you're calculating based on 38 minutes of driving, which is wrong, as I said. Sitting at a light drops your mpg because you're not moving but still consuming fuel. The time interval continues to climb whether you're moving or not and the longer you sit idle, the lower the speed average becomes.

I was driving the same speed along that stretch of highway just like every other time - 67.7 mph (109 km/h) with the cruise on like always. Unlike many people, I use cruise control any time I'm on a stretch of road without stops. Going to work I have a couple of 30 and 40 mph zones before and after the 50 mph zone - I use cruise in all of those areas as speed traps are often set up along there so I don't have to watch my speedo. Keeping it under 2000 rpm also keeps fuel consumption reasonable - my mpg drops off above 70 mph and 2000 rpm and up.

Meant avg speed. You said 68, math says 65

Secondly, I'm calculating based on what you posted. Those are the only facts at hand.
Most rational people calculate fuel mileage as a mileage consumed using the vehicle as a normally use it over the course of a day, that includes idling and thusly, your fuel mileage is based at 65 miles an hour, not 68.

Now we all cherry pick like that then I can get 26 miles per gallon taking out all the idling and slow downs but that's not the way it works.
Nobody measures fuel mileage excluding stops or slow downs. It's based on city traffic and highway traffic and everything experienced in between those two. You can dress it up any way you like it but your number is not true miles per gallon

23RAM

Reaction score
Most rational people calculate fuel mileage as a mileage consumed using the vehicle as a normally use it over the course of a day, that includes idling and thusly, your fuel mileage is based at 65 miles an hour, not 68.

Now we all cherry pick like that then I can get 26 miles per gallon taking out all the idling and slow downs but that's not the way it works.
Nobody measures fuel mileage excluding stops or slow downs. It's based on city traffic and highway traffic and everything experienced in between those two. You can dress it up any way you like it but your number is not true miles per gallon
I never claimed I get 23 mpg average, I said it's about my best mileage along the highway which is better than what the EPA rating says for highway. I don't care about averages because in -20 degree winter weather for a few months, long warm up times destroys your average rating. I want to know what my truck gets when driving, not idling in the driveway on cold mornings.

By the way, my average last tank combined city and highway 50/50 was 17.7 mpg but that included towing 5k each weekend.

BowDown

Reaction score
I never claimed I get 23 mpg average, I said it's about my best mileage along the highway which is better than what the EPA rating says for highway. I don't care about averages because in -20 degree winter weather for a few months, long warm up times destroys your average rating. I want to know what my truck gets when driving, not idling in the driveway on cold mornings.

By the way, my average last tank combined city and highway 50/50 was 17.7 mpg but that included towing 5k each weekend.

Again, the EPA rating isn't measured the way you're doing it do its no surprise that you can exceed the window sticker rating.
You are making a fuel mpg comparison that no one else is doing, the engine running whether it be powering the vehicle down the road or idling is included in fuel mileage estimates.

If you believe you're legitimately getting that mileage, good for you but obviously others rightfully question it and the math clearly shows that your way is inaccurate.

As for the above statement, based on the way you're measuring your fuel mileage, that's not accurate either but as long as you're happy

Users who are viewing this thread