5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Toyota Tundra

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
That front seems like a wind catcher.
Don't you think if they made it even some what aerodynamic that it would get better MPG.:sneaky:

70runner

Reaction score
Bought a 2014 Tundra 1794 new because I loved the special 1794 leather interior and the mica bronze exterior. After dechroming and adding a Platinum grille, this is what it looked like. I bought it at MSRP. There were only 2 1794s in mica bronze in California at the time, so the dealer was not budging from MSRP. Toyota discontinued the mica bronze in 2018.

RtFr_r2.jpg intdr_r.jpg

The truck had only one visit to the dealer in 8yrs, a suspension recall. The 13 mpg (downhill with the wind) was the downside, especially with People's Republik gas prices. Ready for new truck in 2021, something with better mpg. Watched this thread (and a couple Tundra forums) to preview the 2022 model. With due respect to beauty is in the eye of the beholder...the 2022 grille/headlight arrangement is butt ugly. Someone said the front looked like a radiator, my exact first impression. As I was deciding on truck models, one day on the freeway a striking red truck approached from behind with a bulge hood and R A M across the grille. Slowed, so it would pass and I could check it out. A Rebel of course, still with dealer plate. Research on build it website showed a diesel engine option with 20+ mpg, 33 gal tank, and a HUD...that clinched the decision.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Bringing this one back from the dead. I just saw this Readylift leveling kit and I’m really liking how this particular setup looks. This image is from readylift’s site.

7BF76276-8C21-47DB-8EB5-157FE4EAB7C2.jpeg

N0cturnal

Reaction score
I am in the market for a full size pickup. The looks of new Tundra is growing on me especially in Black or Army green. You get Toyota’s legendary reliability as a bonus.

BUT, I don’t think I will go for it for the following reasons :
1. No Auto 4wd
2. Larger turning diameter than previous gen
3. Smaller interior and no flat floor in the rear section
4. Turbo issues (Toyota has handled the issue very well and replaced One or more Both Turbos for almost everyone who had issue …usually it is the passenger side) but the deal breaker is the information I am getting is you will need to lift to cab to replace Turbos. This can get expensive after warranty is over.
5. No provision for tow hooks
6. First year build issues like wind noise, glitchy entertainment system etc.
7. Subscription to use some features like remote start

I am sure there are more. Some can be fixed but some can’t until gen4 (coming in 2037😁)

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I am in the market for a full size pickup. The looks of new Tundra is growing on me especially in Black or Army green. You get Toyota’s legendary reliability as a bonus.

1. No Auto 4wd
4. Turbo issues (Toyota has handled the issue very well and replaced One or more Both Turbos for almost everyone who had issue …usually it is the passenger side) but the deal breaker is the information I am getting is you will need to lift to cab to replace Turbos. This can get expensive after warranty is over.

I am sure there are more. Some can be fixed but some can’t until gen4 (coming in 2037😁)
They don’t need to take the cab off to replace the turbos . As far as Toyotas reliability that remains to be seen with the new model .

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score

1. No Auto 4wd

I’m thinking f150 lariat for me next time 2.7 turbo/hybrid, more options and cheaper than the new tundra!

N0cturnal

Reaction score
They don’t need to take the cab off to replace the turbos . As far as Toyotas reliability that remains to be seen with the new model .

Mixed info here. I hope that is not the case. It will be so crazy. Toyota may have problems like chassis rust issues, but the general consensus is that they stand by their fault and fix it.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I test drove a 22 Tundra & my wife and I couldn’t wait to get back in the 21 Laramie we had at that time earlier this year. So I put in an order for another Ram - 22 Limited this time. Wish the Tundra still had their trusty V8 as an option.

N0cturnal

Reaction score
I test drove a 22 Tundra & my wife and I couldn’t wait to get back in the 21 Laramie we had at that time earlier this year. So I put in an order for another Ram - 22 Limited this time. Wish the Tundra still had their trusty V8 as an option.
I am in Bar Harbor, ME and Tundra seems to be very popular among construction crew, but they all are the “old trusty v8” as you put it. Hope Toyota knew what they were doing with this generation, because as of now even their most loyal customer base is having doubt.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was interested in the '22 Tundra before I bagged up another Ram. I joined the owners group on FB to get more info. It's eye opening. The number of quality and build issues with the new Tundra is staggering. I mean, I could make a list. Paint issues, body panel fitment, turbo actuator failures, interior leather flaws, random CELs of all kinds, limp mode, and that's just the half of it. Seems like with each generation of vehicle, the team at Toyota is losing focus on quality and is becoming more mainstream. The myth that a Toyota is a better vehicle is simply false in today's world.

Ram12375

Reaction score
I will have to disagree. I have owned 2 tundras and my wife has had 2 toyota vehicles. All of which had well over 100k miles when traded in. Between those 4 vehicles we had 0 issues. The only thing we had to replace were the batteries. My new 1500 has had too many issues to list at 7k miles. It has been at the dealer more than my driveway. That being said I still absolutely love my ram and do not regret purchase. Tundras will have a few issues with first year model change because these issues are not uncovered till they get thousands of trucks out there. They will address all issues and will be bulletproof again. Hopefully they can address their price gouging dealers.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I've been really lucky with my Fords, Toyotas and current RAM. Pretty much no issues in the years I've owned them. Reliability has been the same across the board.

Where the difference has been for me in the dealership service network. Toyota is on another level, great follow-up and no issues with service. Ford it's a close 2nd and RAM a distant 3rd. It's why I do my own services on my Rebel, I don't trust the RAM dealer to it, whereas I don't have that issue with Ford or Toyota.

This of course is based on my own personal experiences with the dealerships near me, but a quick glance at the annual dealership satisfaction reviews pretty much matches my own experience.

Mattiusmaximus1216

Reaction score
I’ve owned Toyotas my whole life. My ram is my first non Toyota vehicle. My family owns nothing but Toyotas. After my last Tacoma (Gen 3) the quality is not the same as my previous Toyotas.
I was always at the dealer for repairs. They could never get my rear end to stop leaking (LOL), my cab mounts were loose from the factory, fuel pump was replaced, paint issues, transmission flashes and every window seal on all four doors became warped and started coming apart…All four windows!
Yes Toyotas warranty repairs are easy going but I wasted so much time at the dealership. Time is money and my last Tacoma wasted a lot of my time. Hence why I left Toyota. A lot of my off road buddies also left due to quality issues.

Jako

Reaction score
I’ve owned Toyotas my whole life. My ram is my first non Toyota vehicle. My family owns nothing but Toyotas. After my last Tacoma (Gen 3) the quality is not the same as my previous Toyotas.
I was always at the dealer for repairs. They could never get my rear end to stop leaking (LOL), my cab mounts were loose from the factory, fuel pump was replaced, paint issues, transmission flashes and every window seal on all four doors became warped and started coming apart…All four windows!
Yes Toyotas warranty repairs are easy going but I wasted so much time at the dealership. Time is money and my last Tacoma wasted a lot of my time. Hence why I left Toyota. A lot of my off road buddies also left due to quality issues.
Wife's 2017 Honda Civic crapped out at 3 year mark (warranty covered it), dealership over filled the oil by about a 1/3 of a quart. Toyota and Honda are not the same as years ago based on my own experience. The 2001 Toyota Rav 4's computer goes out at the 125K or so mileage and screws the transmission, $3000+ fix.
1990 Toyota Celica 192K still running strong, 2nd owner and my 1985 Corolla SR 5 being restored by someone else after sitting for years.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just had the transmission replaced in my new Subaru at 26k miles.

Quality is decreasing across the board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, there's a reason the phrase "They don't make them like they used to" was coined.

My wife's 2001 Subaru Forester is still kicking and going strong. No complaints. We don't drive it much so keep it on a NOCO. It's not worth much anymore, but have no reason to get rid of it. Besides I still like driving a stick every now and then. :)

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Even those were know to blow head gaskets.

They fixed the engine issues and added a timing chain for the new ones. Now they transmissions are junk lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, there's a reason the phrase "They don't make them like they used to" was coined.

My wife's 2001 Subaru Forester is still kicking and going strong. No complaints. We don't drive it much so keep it on a NOCO. It's not worth much anymore, but have no reason to get rid of it. Besides I still like driving a stick every now and then. :)
A constant in life is that people are always claiming the phrase you mentioned, which makes me wonder- if stuff is poor quality now compared to 2001 (which people claimed was also poor quality), then what will things look like in 10 or 20 years? I bet people will be muttering the same phrase in perpetuity.

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
My wife bought a 2012 Lexus RX350 (expensive Toyota imho) in 2012 as a lease return, great deal. At 3yrs /30k miles the engine was leaking oil. It went in 3x and they had to remove the engine to finally fix correctly. Received a free loan vehicle every time. After 100k trouble free remaining miles, sold the 2012 in February this yr and wife is driving a new 2022 Lexus RX350 that she ordered.

I’ve towed 7k# with 2004 Hemi Durango, sold at 135K in 2011. One time to dealer for leaky pinion seal replaced under warranty. 2011 Hemi Ram, only dealer repair was leaking front strut at 90k and broke the engine roller lifters at 179k miles in August 2021. New 2022 Ram in Oct 2021 now with 18K miles still towing same 7k#. It’s been perfect so far, but I did purchase the 7yr /100k Maximum Care warranty after viewing the problems others have experienced and the costly out of warranty repairs.

I’ve ridden in and test drove a 2021 Tundra prior to ordering a new 2022 Ram. Ram has the better ride quality (rear coils) and is quieter inside. I read Tundra was a gas hog compared to same yr Ram and maybe it has to do with the 4.30 gear. Consumer Reports rates the reliability of the Ram higher than the new Tundra.

Users who are viewing this thread