5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Rebel Low Differential Fluid

Blade

Reaction score
Hello all new to the forum.
I upgraded(?) my 2016 Rebel to a 2022 Rebel in early December. Shortly after I began to hear what sounded like a subtle bumping noise, not metallic sounding, coming from what I believe to be the rear of the truck. At first I thought it was a low bumping sound from the base in the HK stereo until I muted it. The noise is only noticeable at low speed on a quiet roadway.

I took it back to the dealer Monday and before leaving the lot for a test drive with a tech truck he heard the noise clearly and offered that it sounds like a differential noise. After a several hour wait while they put my truck on the lift they determined the diff fluid was low and added more. They did not offer how low nor did they offer if there was any damage. The work order said the tech took it for 2 test drives afterward and the noise was gone.

Being the trusting person I am I got right on the highway and headed home (80 miles one way to dealer) without giving it much thought. Got in the truck the next morning and immediately noticed the sound as I slowly pulled away from my house.

I've read here here of others having low diff fluid and major issues, most at higher mileage, I've only got 1500 miles on my Rebel. I do have another appointment scheduled at the dealer for Tuesday. I'm not very happy because of the time off I have to take and the gas and mileage but I want to get this resolved at the dealer I purchased it at. I feel they sold me the truck so they are responsible.

I'm not very mechanically inclined so my knowledge is limited. Has anyone had a similar issue that has been related to the differential or are they just guessing?

Thank you in advance for any advice or insight.

speedbyu

[hacked account]
Reaction score
Hey just wanted to say Thanks !!!
Had a slight vibration in my new '22 Longhorn and had the dealer check and mine was low too.
Others need to check this or have it checked.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does your truck have the LSD? Might not have the friction modifier in it if that's the case.

Also, my diff fluid was about half a quart low too.

Blade

Reaction score
Does your truck have the LSD? Might not have the friction modifier in it if that's the case.

Also, my diff fluid was about half a quart low too.
I'm assuming the electronic locking rear axles is the same. yes I do have them. Hopefully I get some answers at my appt. Tuesday. Thank you for responding.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm assuming the electronic locking rear axles is the same. yes I do have them. Hopefully I get some answers at my appt. Tuesday. Thank you for responding.
Your assumption would be incorrect. The electronic locking rear diff is not anti-slip (LSD).

bcwood64

Reaction score
Mike is correct you can have three different diffs. Locking, limited slip, and open. If you have a locking diff you’re diff cannot be a LSD and vise versa.

Did you see any fluid overnight? Also check your drain plug for a crack or anything. Sounds like somehow it’s loosing its fluid.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There is a thread and I believe a Youtube video that mentions some trucks may have been delivered with low diff fluid. The video shows how to check pretty easily. I consider this a Covid build situation, in these times, they are missing things like this and it's pretty unacceptable.

Good thing is you have it documented now. Sucks you have to deal with this with a brand new truck, but at least it wasn't your tranny. Not long ago, another poster mentioned they found that his tranny had low fluid and they had to put a new one in, less than a week after he took delivery.

speedbyu

[hacked account]
Reaction score
Mike is correct you can have three different diffs. Locking, limited slip, and open. If you have a locking diff you’re diff cannot be a LSD and vise versa.

Did you see any fluid overnight? Also check your drain plug for a crack or anything. Sounds like somehow it’s loosing its fluid.
Its not losing fluid the 22's are showing uo low on fluid

bcwood64

Reaction score
Yeah the OP stated that the dealer filled it. Overnight the next day it was low again. Fluid had to go somewhere.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah the OP stated that the dealer filled it. Overnight the next day it was low again. Fluid had to go somewhere.
Op said the noise came back, not that it was low again. If they filled it and the noise came back the diff is likely damaged at this point.

OleNavyMane

Reaction score
This sounds beyond unacceptable. Brand new truck shows up low on rear-end fluid. Dealer filling after noticeable sounds. Even if (for other 22s with this issue) the fluid fill solves the issue immediately, what damage is gonna show up down the line just out of warranty period?

Another point, what happened to dealership prep and inspection of all fluid levels? The factory may have missed it but no excuse for the dealership gundecking critical preventative checks--it's unsatisfactory.

Blade

Reaction score
I truely appreciate the responses guys. I agree with poor dealer prep and adding fluid as a bandaid. I'll be off to the dealer Tuesday and I won't be so agreeable this trip. The truck has been sitting in my driveway since I realized the issue still exists.

Sad part is I traded in my 2016 Rebel for the 22. The 2016 was a stellar truck that didn't give me 1 issue, should have just kept it.

Blade

Reaction score
Update
After leaving messages and trying to contact the general manager without success I was prepared to just show up Tuesday and speak to the manager then. In the meantime I received by email 2 requests to fill out a detailed evaluation of the service I received . I was honest and didn't turn it in to a bash fest. Shortly after submitting it I received a call from the service manager.

After offering the details of what had transpired and my concerns about long term damage he said they would be rebuilding or replacing my differential. In my mind I say replace unless that may lead to other issues, maybe someone here could shed some light on that.

In any event at least I had a chance to speak to someone who seemed like they wanted to resolve the issue correctly. I'll update when I get my Rebel back.

The_Dude

Reaction score
I had the same situation on my 19' Longhorn with the e-transfer case being low. It appears to be coming out of the rear main seal. There's no major drips just you can see a little dampness.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello all new to the forum.
I upgraded(?) my 2016 Rebel to a 2022 Rebel in early December. Shortly after I began to hear what sounded like a subtle bumping noise, not metallic sounding, coming from what I believe to be the rear of the truck. At first I thought it was a low bumping sound from the base in the HK stereo until I muted it. The noise is only noticeable at low speed on a quiet roadway.

I took it back to the dealer Monday and before leaving the lot for a test drive with a tech truck he heard the noise clearly and offered that it sounds like a differential noise. After a several hour wait while they put my truck on the lift they determined the diff fluid was low and added more. They did not offer how low nor did they offer if there was any damage. The work order said the tech took it for 2 test drives afterward and the noise was gone.

Being the trusting person I am I got right on the highway and headed home (80 miles one way to dealer) without giving it much thought. Got in the truck the next morning and immediately noticed the sound as I slowly pulled away from my house.

I've read here here of others having low diff fluid and major issues, most at higher mileage, I've only got 1500 miles on my Rebel. I do have another appointment scheduled at the dealer for Tuesday. I'm not very happy because of the time off I have to take and the gas and mileage but I want to get this resolved at the dealer I purchased it at. I feel they sold me the truck so they are responsible.

I'm not very mechanically inclined so my knowledge is limited. Has anyone had a similar issue that has been related to the differential or are they just guessing?

Thank you in advance for any advice or insight.
Take your truck to any dealer, The dealer that sold you the truck is not really responsible as it’s more of a manufacturer issue and since your truck is still under warranty, any dealer can help you with this. You’re selling dealer really only helps you with issues related to them not giving you a second key or issues with your paperwork, Any dealer can assist with a warranty matter including a differential problem caused by low fluid level

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This sounds beyond unacceptable. Brand new truck shows up low on rear-end fluid. Dealer filling after noticeable sounds. Even if (for other 22s with this issue) the fluid fill solves the issue immediately, what damage is gonna show up down the line just out of warranty period?

Another point, what happened to dealership prep and inspection of all fluid levels? The factory may have missed it but no excuse for the dealership gundecking critical preventative checks--it's unsatisfactory.
I have done PDIs here and there for 16 years and never have once gone in and checked the transmission level or the differential level if there are no visible leaks. If a brand new car arrives, and the bottom of the vehicle is bone dry then most of us assume the fluid levels in the transmission and differential are correct. If we take it for a test drive and there are no issues again we all assume the fluid levels are correct. You will probably not find one technician in this industry that does PDI‘s daily that is ever going to once check any of those fluid levels under the car. The most they will check are the washer fluid levels coolant levels and possibly the engine oil level if it has a dipstick. If your differential is dangerously low the issue will come up usually pretty quickly. I have really only seen that issue on a few four-wheel-drive vehicles where the front differential takes a **** but it happened within a few hundred miles of delivery.

Last edited:

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm impressed that they called you and offered a real repair that quickly and easily. You may have found a good service department!
Most dealers do that when somebody leaves a negative review. I had a **** experience with the dealer I bought my truck from, had such an issue with the finance manager and when he declined to give me a refund on a product with a 60 day full refund policy, I reached out to the general manager. He immediately contacted me back and offered the refund. I still wouldn’t go back to the Dealer for anything

Users who are viewing this thread