5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Rebel Low Differential Fluid

OleNavyMane

Reaction score
I have done PDIs here and there for 16 years and never have once gone in and checked the transmission level or the differential level if there are no visible leaks. If a brand new car arrives, and the bottom of the vehicle is bone dry then most of us assume the fluid levels in the transmission and differential are correct. If we take it for a test drive and there are no issues again we all assume the fluid levels are correct. You will probably not find one technician in this industry that does PDI‘s daily that is ever going to once check any of those fluid levels under the car. The most they will check are the washer fluid levels coolant levels and possibly the engine oil level if it has a dipstick. If your differential is dangerously low the issue will come up usually pretty quickly. I have really only seen that issue on a few four-wheel-drive vehicles where the front differential takes a **** but it happened within a few hundred miles of delivery.
This is really useful information. Thanks for sharing. So with the few complaints here of low fluid levels in the drive components, do you think it unreasonable to request that these levels be checked on newly arriving ordered trucks? Trying to find a space that let's me have peace of mind without over reacting.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is really useful information. Thanks for sharing. So with the few complaints here of low fluid levels in the drive components, do you think it unreasonable to request that these levels be checked on newly arriving ordered trucks? Trying to find a space that let's me have peace of mind without over reacting.
you can request it, will they do it? who knows. you can easily do it yourself. no need to lift the truck, just remove the fill plug on the rear diff and check the level. the fluid should be right at the bottom of the fill hole. some may be slightly lower but the correct filling of the rear diff is to the bottom of the fill hole.

NCBACKCOUNTRY

Reaction score
you can request it, will they do it? who knows. you can easily do it yourself. no need to lift the truck, just remove the fill plug on the rear diff and check the level. the fluid should be right at the bottom of the fill hole. some may be slightly lower but the correct filling of the rear diff is to the bottom of the fill hole.
Personally, I'd feel better doing it this way. I asked my dealer to check the fluid on my 2016. To my "suprise", when I got back home, looked under there, sure enough you could still see the factory crayon mark never moved (meaning they didn't check it).

OleNavyMane

Reaction score
Thanks again. I will be checking it myself.

spyder

Reaction score
On my high mileage truck, I just made it a habit to add in diff and T-case checks on my monthly oil and coolant checks. I wound up having to put a new transfer case in because it developed a leak and got dry inside and I didn't pay attention to it. 3 minutes a month is easy insurance.

I won't do it nearly that often on this truck, but at oil changes, sure. Just make it part of your fluids and filters routine.

Blade

Reaction score
Well dealer called and said my truck was done.

As per the tech that I spoke to they confirmed the noise was from the differential, I thought we had already established that but ok. Service then called chrysler and reported their findings. Chrysler told them to drain all the differential fluid and fill with limited slip fluid. I asked if they had any metal in the fluid and was told no. Test driven by the tech who said the noise was gone which seems to be the case after driving home.

Hopefully there is no long term damage. Thanks to all who offered advice.

Blade

Reaction score
Well unfortunately the noise is back and louder than before. I've only put about 400 miles on my Rebel since the dealer had it. Should have just kept my 2016 Rebel, it was absolutely trouble free. I'll be calling the dealer again tomorrow. Probably reach out to Ram as well, soon as I figure out which division.

cleandirt

Reaction score
Well unfortunately the noise is back and louder than before. I've only put about 400 miles on my Rebel since the dealer had it. Should have just kept my 2016 Rebel, it was absolutely trouble free. I'll be calling the dealer again tomorrow. Probably reach out to Ram as well, soon as I figure out which division.

I would have been suspicious of potential damage to the differential showing up at some later point in the life of the truck. I would think running it with fluid low enough to cause the differential to make noise would cause undue wear, the fluid change being wishful thinking on the part of Ram that it would mask potential problems for a few years. I would think it’s better to have the noise return now than in a few years, after the warranty is gone. Hopefully they replace the rear end and your new Rebel goes on to earn the trust you had in your former truck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

spyder

Reaction score
I agree. Much better to have it be a big problem now, instead of a big problem outside of warranty. Should be a fairly easy fix.

Blade

Reaction score
It's going back in for service on Thursday. Service manager said they will have to open the diff up and see if there is any damage to determine what course of action they will take. This is getting frustrating. Has anyone contacted Ram cares and gotten positive results in a situation like this?

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's going back in for service on Thursday. Service manager said they will have to open the diff up and see if there is any damage to determine what course of action they will take. This is getting frustrating. Has anyone contacted Ram cares and gotten positive results in a situation like this?
I've had good experience with RAMcares, they will cover rental costs (up to a point) in the event the dealer doesn't have loaners.

Blade

Reaction score
I've had good experience with RAMcares, they will cover rental costs (up to a point) in the event the dealer doesn't have loaners.
I did contact Ramcares today. They were helpful and answered questions i had. I opened a case with them and was told a rep would call me.

41magmag41

Reaction score
My 2019 big horn, 4x4, quad cab, 3.92, went in for service 3 weeks ago, 71000 miles on her. the little **** service writer came out with a grin and asked if i had the extended warranty, which would have been in my file and i didnt, then handed me a estimate repair slip for $4100.00, it appeared that the tech, 19 yrs with ram, said i had rust on the front half shaft into the front diff and that usually indicated the gears were wearing and the half shaft and front diff should be replaced. i asked why this wasnt caught at the last 2 oil changes while i was still under warranty. no answer, I drove her home and got on the horn with ramcares. 10 days later ramcares called and said ram would cover the cost except $300.00 and that the dealer had ordered the new parts and would call me when they were in. she now has a new front diff and passenger half shaft. my advice is keep an eye on this area as well.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My 2019 big horn, 4x4, quad cab, 3.92, went in for service 3 weeks ago, 71000 miles on her. the little **** service writer came out with a grin and asked if i had the extended warranty, which would have been in my file and i didnt, then handed me a estimate repair slip for $4100.00, it appeared that the tech, 19 yrs with ram, said i had rust on the front half shaft into the front diff and that usually indicated the gears were wearing and the half shaft and front diff should be replaced. i asked why this wasnt caught at the last 2 oil changes while i was still under warranty. no answer, I drove her home and got on the horn with ramcares. 10 days later ramcares called and said ram would cover the cost except $300.00 and that the dealer had ordered the new parts and would call me when they were in. she now has a new front diff and passenger half shaft. my advice is keep an eye on this area as well.

Great job to not just take it and taking that next step. Also great for Stellantis to actually step up out of warranty to fix it.

Blade

Reaction score
After a 7 day stay back at the dealer I finally got my Rebel back with no help from the service department at all. after a few day calls were made by the Ram Cares rep and myself and no one returned a single call to offer the status of my truck. Only when I left a message for the general manager did I get a call back -from the service manager who had several messages from us already.

When I contacted this same service manager to bring the truck in for the same issue the 3rd time I inquired if it was possible the noise was from something other than the differential. He assured me that "they" had confirmed it was a differential problem.

During my conversation with him yesterday he told me the noise was coming from a small tote in the bed of my truck that contains a tarp, bungees and tie downs. Imagine that, a solid thumping noise at slow speed on smooth roads created by a tote in the bed which by the way was not in there when the noise began.

After I told him the noise was there before the tote was he asked for details, again, on exactly when the noise happens. I gave him details and he took the truck for a second test drive. He called me a after the drive and this time told me the noise was from my tires now, I have to say my head almost exploded when I heard that -just unbelievable. He said the humming I'm hearing is from the aggressive tread. But wait I never said it was humming. I've been driving trucks for about 30 years I know tire noise. At this point I realized I am getting no where with this dealership and immediately took the 77 mile drive to pick up my Rebel.

For the record when I purchased my Rebel from this dealership the process was seamless. After the purchase I filled out several reviews giving them a 5 (out of 5) star rating for a job well done.

I've held the dealerships name back throughout this problem to give them a fair chance to do the right thing but that hasn't happened. I offer the dealers name now to possibly help someone else avoid the level of incompetence and poor customer service I have had.

the dealer is:

Kelly -Jeep Chrysler Dodge Ram at 501 State St in Emmaus Pa.

If anyone knows of a reliable and trustworthy service dept. in the central NJ area please let me know.

GlennR

Reaction score
Take your truck to any dealer, The dealer that sold you the truck is not really responsible as it’s more of a manufacturer issue and since your truck is still under warranty, any dealer can help you with this. You’re selling dealer really only helps you with issues related to them not giving you a second key or issues with your paperwork, Any dealer can assist with a warranty matter including a differential problem caused by low fluid level
The noise you describe is exactly what I am experiencing with my new 2022 RAM. <
Take your truck to any dealer, The dealer that sold you the truck is not really responsible as it’s more of a manufacturer issue and since your truck is still under warranty, any dealer can help you with this. You’re selling dealer really only helps you with issues related to them not giving you a second key or issues with your paperwork, Any dealer can assist with a warranty matter including a differential problem caused by low fluid level
Hello all new to the forum.
I upgraded(?) my 2016 Rebel to a 2022 Rebel in early December. Shortly after I began to hear what sounded like a subtle bumping noise, not metallic sounding, coming from what I believe to be the rear of the truck. At first I thought it was a low bumping sound from the base in the HK stereo until I muted it. The noise is only noticeable at low speed on a quiet roadway.

I took it back to the dealer Monday and before leaving the lot for a test drive with a tech truck he heard the noise clearly and offered that it sounds like a differential noise. After a several hour wait while they put my truck on the lift they determined the diff fluid was low and added more. They did not offer how low nor did they offer if there was any damage. The work order said the tech took it for 2 test drives afterward and the noise was gone.

Being the trusting person I am I got right on the highway and headed home (80 miles one way to dealer) without giving it much thought. Got in the truck the next morning and immediately noticed the sound as I slowly pulled away from my house.

I've read here here of others having low diff fluid and major issues, most at higher mileage, I've only got 1500 miles on my Rebel. I do have another appointment scheduled at the dealer for Tuesday. I'm not very happy because of the time off I have to take and the gas and mileage but I want to get this resolved at the dealer I purchased it at. I feel they sold me the truck so they are responsible.

I'm not very mechanically inclined so my knowledge is limited. Has anyone had a similar issue that has been related to the differential or are they just guessing?

Thank you in advance for any advice or insight.
The noise you describe is exactly what I'm hearing on my new 2022 RAM. Dealer tech heard the noise and said it was pressures in the transmission and won't hurt anything, but no fix for it right now. I'll have to go back to the dealer and let them know to check fluid levels. Definitely frustrating. I posted this problem in 2022 RAM 1500 - Low Tone Groan Noise. Will let you know what I find out.

cervelo15

Reaction score
After a 7 day stay back at the dealer I finally got my Rebel back with no help from the service department at all. after a few day calls were made by the Ram Cares rep and myself and no one returned a single call to offer the status of my truck. Only when I left a message for the general manager did I get a call back -from the service manager who had several messages from us already.

When I contacted this same service manager to bring the truck in for the same issue the 3rd time I inquired if it was possible the noise was from something other than the differential. He assured me that "they" had confirmed it was a differential problem.

During my conversation with him yesterday he told me the noise was coming from a small tote in the bed of my truck that contains a tarp, bungees and tie downs. Imagine that, a solid thumping noise at slow speed on smooth roads created by a tote in the bed which by the way was not in there when the noise began.

After I told him the noise was there before the tote was he asked for details, again, on exactly when the noise happens. I gave him details and he took the truck for a second test drive. He called me a after the drive and this time told me the noise was from my tires now, I have to say my head almost exploded when I heard that -just unbelievable. He said the humming I'm hearing is from the aggressive tread. But wait I never said it was humming. I've been driving trucks for about 30 years I know tire noise. At this point I realized I am getting no where with this dealership and immediately took the 77 mile drive to pick up my Rebel.

For the record when I purchased my Rebel from this dealership the process was seamless. After the purchase I filled out several reviews giving them a 5 (out of 5) star rating for a job well done.

I've held the dealerships name back throughout this problem to give them a fair chance to do the right thing but that hasn't happened. I offer the dealers name now to possibly help someone else avoid the level of incompetence and poor customer service I have had.

the dealer is:

Kelly -Jeep Chrysler Dodge Ram at 501 State St in Emmaus Pa.

If anyone knows of a reliable and trustworthy service dept. in the central NJ area please let me know.
Sorry this happened to you….fellow Lehigh Valley resident here and we stay away from Kelly. My wife was looking at a Durango there a couple cars back and the salesperson was not knowledgeable and seemed uninterested in selling us the vehicle. Plus they didn’t have a huge selection to choose from and every time I drive by, doesn’t seem like they have much out on the lot. So we have stayed well clear of that place.

Not sure where you’re at but I always take mine to Renstschler in Slatington. Good people there and I’ve bought cars from them in the past and have gone there for service. Plus they got me my Mopar lift as well.

Blade

Reaction score
Sorry this happened to you….fellow Lehigh Valley resident here and we stay away from Kelly. My wife was looking at a Durango there a couple cars back and the salesperson was not knowledgeable and seemed uninterested in selling us the vehicle. Plus they didn’t have a huge selection to choose from and every time I drive by, doesn’t seem like they have much out on the lot. So we have stayed well clear of that place.

Not sure where you’re at but I always take mine to Renstschler in Slatington. Good people there and I’ve bought cars from them in the past and have gone there for service. Plus they got me my Mopar lift as well.
I appreciate the response, actually I'm from NJ. Dealers at the time I was looking had slim pickings around here. I was out that way at a gun show and happened upon Kelly and the truck I bought. I have found a dealer locally (Buhler in Hazlet) that so far has been good to work with. Thanks for the heads up.

KMach

Reaction score
Just wanted to chime in quick to note that these diffs arent exactly checked the same as older units. The actual procedure involves a 2 inch zip tie or wire bent at 90 degrees and measure level from fill hole. Spec varies between our models and the TRX but none should be level with the fill holes.

Obviously sounds like OP truck was under filled and caused damage, but just want people to be aware that it also shouldn’t be running out of the holes like older models.

Users who are viewing this thread