5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram paint chipping and peeling

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The reason its (paint chips) aren't getting warrantied is that rock chips are not a paint defect. There no paint made that when sprayed on a hard/ridged/steel/metal surface, will not chip. Powder coating can't stand up to a rock hitting the front bumper at 30-70mph, no way paint will.

Some of us recognized this early on and had PPF applied prior to driving the truck or any damage.
If you have chips now, my suggestion would be getting them filled with a high build primer then sand the primered areas smooth then having your bumper wrapped with a colored PPF that matches your existing paint.

6of36

Reaction score
Paint chips on painted front bumper? Of course I have those. But I'm more concerned about the paint peel on a fender flare. Started dime-sized for about a year. Over the past year it's turned to this. Peels more daily now.
Is it one flair? Could be repaired damage before you bought it. My dad bought a Chevy pic up in the 90s. within a year a lot of paint started peeling. He took it in for warranty, and the told him it would not be covered, because the truck had been painted. He grabbed the paperwork from the guy, and found out one whole side of the truck had been damaged in transit, and had body work done to it , but still sold as new, without disclosure, which would be illegal these days. I think he was ready to choke that guy, and I don't remember what they did to resolve, bu they do try to hide things like that.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The reason its (paint chips) aren't getting warrantied is that rock chips are not a paint defect. There no paint made that when sprayed on a hard/ridged/steel/metal surface, will not chip. Powder coating can't stand up to a rock hitting the front bumper at 30-70mph, no way paint will.

Some of us recognized this early on and had PPF applied prior to driving the truck or any damage.
If you have chips now, my suggestion would be getting them filled with a high build primer then sand the primered areas smooth then having your bumper wrapped with a colored PPF that matches your existing paint.
*Buys an 80k MSRP truck. Is wrong expecting it can be driven normally without having paint come off.
It was 1750 miles from the dealership to home (bunch of chips by the time I was home), what was I going to do get a hotel for a few days and wait for a brand new truck to get work done on it? LOL

Maybe Ram should use a paint or material that can actually be used in the real world. Maybe some kind of textured paint or you know actually offer to PPE or something at the factory well knowing it's going to be a problem.
If it was a factory offering I would of dropped $5k extra for xpel to be applied to the whole truck - maybe the roof.

Littlejoe81

Reaction score
*Buys an 80k MSRP truck. Is wrong expecting it can be driven normally without having paint come off.
It was 1750 miles from the dealership to home (bunch of chips by the time I was home), what was I going to do get a hotel for a few days and wait for a brand new truck to get work done on it? LOL

Maybe Ram should use a paint or material that can actually be used in the real world. Maybe some kind of textured paint or you know actually offer to PPE or something at the factory well knowing it's going to be a problem.
If it was a factory offering I would of dropped $5k extra for xpel to be applied to the whole truck - maybe the roof.
Its a truck, but you can't use it like one. Unacceptable!

BowDown

Reaction score
I did not buy it new. I bought it Certified feom a Ram dealer when it was a year old. It could have been repainted, but no accidents on record for the truck.

They may have repaired it without insurance so it wouldn't show up on a carfax. I say it looks like a repair because the way its flaking off and the surface underneath. There's no sealer, primer and doesn't appear to have any flex agent and that part should. The black is the EDP coating and looks un-sanded

uncc_99xj

Reaction score

You can get it from the factory, but it's pretty worthless for what they charge. It only covers the front lip of the hood, the bezels under the lights, and the front sections of the quarter panels. They also include strips down the doors for door dings, a strip on the top of both sides of the bed, and squares behind the door handles for nails/rings. It does NOT include anything on the front bumper, which is absurd IMO. Not only that, it's not truly clear. It actually made for an off white tint against my white paint when you got up close to it.

I just had the factory PPF (previous owner spec'd) ripped off and replaced with Xpel covering the whole front end, whole hood, whole front quarter panels, and backs of the mirrors. They also replaced the strips on the doors and sides of the bed for me as well, and touched up the few chips they found throughout the front end.

BowDown

Reaction score

You think the pain or the painting process is different on a 80K Limited vs a 39K tradesman? or even a Ram Classic? or even a Kia Rio? Vehicle cost has zero bearing on the paint quality in this situation.

As for my expectations, I have zero expectation that I can drive 40+ mph, have a rock hit a painted steel bumper and I not get a rock chip, ZERO. There's no automotive paint in the world that could survive that.

Textured paint? So, you'd be ok with textured paint on the front bumper, headlight filler panels and hood to avoid rock chips? And you're complaining about how the rock chips look now?

Xpel? You could have done Xpel through a shop and likely received a better product and a better install than the factory and you'd be complaining about that too.

As for your 1750 mile drive home, maybe plan better and buy some temp PPF, I use it at track days all the time

The only thing occurring here is lack of due diligence and now the desire to blame someone other than the person ultimately had an opportunity to avoid this, for instance, heres a forward thinker:

BowDown

Reaction score
Its a truck, but you can't use it like one. Unacceptable!

If your desire was to truly use it like a truck, it'd be beat the s out of and never washed, covered with dents and scratches. That's per people who "use it like a truck".

BowDown

Reaction score
You can get it from the factory, but it's pretty worthless for what they charge. It only covers the front lip of the hood, the bezels under the lights, and the front sections of the quarter panels. They also include strips down the doors for door dings, a strip on the top of both sides of the bed, and squares behind the door handles for nails/rings. It does NOT include anything on the front bumper, which is absurd IMO. Not only that, it's not truly clear. It actually made for an off white tint against my white paint when you got up close to it.

I just had the factory PPF (previous owner spec'd) ripped off and replaced with Xpel covering the whole front end, whole hood, whole front quarter panels, and backs of the mirrors. They also replaced the strips on the doors and sides of the bed for me as well, and touched up the few chips they found throughout the front end.

Had mine done just after delivery, about 400 miles on it, with Llumar Platinum Extra PPF. I never even considered not PPF the entire front. Paid $1600ish for the entire front, full hood, full front fenders and flares, strip above the windshield, door handle pockets, a & b-pillars, door edges and a strip on the top of the tailgate. Best money I've spent

20200726_115143.jpg
Just PPF'd

20221009_131028.jpg

2 years later, If you zoom in on the lower bumper, you can see a few nicks in the PPF. That's it

uncc_99xj

Reaction score
Had mine done just after delivery, about 400 miles on it, with Llumar Platinum Extra PPF. I never even considered not PPF the entire front. Paid $1600ish for the entire front, full hood, full front fenders and flares, strip above the windshield, door handle pockets, a & b-pillars, door edges and a strip on the top of the tailgate. Best money I've spent

View attachment 159545
Just PPF'd

View attachment 159546

2 years later, If you zoom in on the lower bumper, you can see a few nicks in the PPF. That's it

Looks good! I'll never not have PPF, and agree it's a must ASAP on a vehicle purchase.

I had my wife's Grand Cherokee done the day after we bought it with less than 100 miles on it. Today with over 60k on it, there's not a chip in the front

BowDown

Reaction score
Looks good! I'll never not have PPF, and agree it's a must ASAP on a vehicle purchase.

I had my wife's Grand Cherokee done the day after we bought it with less than 100 miles on it. Today with over 60k on it, there's not a chip in the front

I agree. I do not at all find it reasonable to expect bare paint to survive rock hits at road speeds

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You think the pain or the painting process is different on a 80K Limited vs a 39K tradesman? or even a Ram Classic? or even a Kia Rio? Vehicle cost has zero bearing on the paint quality in this situation.

As for my expectations, I have zero expectation that I can drive 40+ mph, have a rock hit a painted steel bumper and I not get a rock chip, ZERO. There's no automotive paint in the world that could survive that.

Textured paint? So, you'd be ok with textured paint on the front bumper, headlight filler panels and hood to avoid rock chips? And you're complaining about how the rock chips look now?

Xpel? You could have done Xpel through a shop and likely received a better product and a better install than the factory and you'd be complaining about that too.

As for your 1750 mile drive home, maybe plan better and buy some temp PPF, I use it at track days all the time

The only thing occurring here is lack of due diligence and now the desire to blame someone other than the person ultimately had an opportunity to avoid this, for instance, heres a forward thinker:
Here I changed it for you. You must be a millionaire and or have no care for your money and like to get ripped of if you think it's okay for a "42k" truck to have paint in places where it can't properly exist.
If you had the outside your house painted and it started to peel during the winter when ice collected on the side would you be okay with that? I wouldn't as I bought a product that is suppose to exist outside from the sky. A truck is going to be driven on the road and highways, if it can't do that without getting damaged then whats the point.

*Buys an 42.3k MSRP (base tradesman) truck. Is wrong expecting it can be driven normally without having paint come off.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

Correct, so you CANT get it from the factory.
The bumper is the problem at least for me and many others, nothing on the plastic or hood is damaged but I have 150+ chips on the bumper (not counting the 30 or so I already filled)

Dewey

Reaction score
I learned a valuable lesson. Don’t buy a vehicle with a painted steel bumper UNLESS I protect it with PPF immediately from the day I buy it. Not gonna cry about it now after the fact since I knew going into it that this could be a problem but decided to go unprotected anyway. That’s on me.

Anybody that ordered truck in at least the last few years had the option to order PPF right from the factory. Wish I had done that but unfortunately I didn’t.

Sure they could use a better paint process or maybe even inclue PPF right from the factory on the front bumper but quite honestly I’ve seen plenty of other older vehicles on the road that are just trashed with paint chipped or wore almost completely off so it’s not a problem unique to Ram trucks. It’s very hard to prevent and no paint process will be 100% perfect for stopping those chips.

BowDown

Reaction score
Here I changed it for you. You must be a millionaire and or have no care for your money and like to get ripped of if you think it's okay for a "42k" truck to have paint in places where it can't properly exist.
If you had the outside your house painted and it started to peel during the winter when ice collected on the side would you be okay with that? I wouldn't as I bought a product that is suppose to exist outside from the sky. A truck is going to be driven on the road and highways, if it can't do that without getting damaged then whats the point.

*Buys an 42.3k MSRP (base tradesman) truck. Is wrong expecting it can be driven normally without having paint come off.

If you had the outside your house painted and it started to peel during the winter when ice collected on the side would you be okay with that? I wouldn't as I bought a product that is suppose to exist outside from the sky. A truck is going to be driven on the road and highways, if it can't do that without getting damaged then whats the point

That you think the 2 above examples are even remotely comparable is part of the problem. House paint is supposed to and regularly does stand up to winter storms and ice collecting on it. That's an expected outcome, now, throw in marble or golf ball sized hail stones in a spring storm and no, I do not expect paint on a home to stand up to that which is a more accurate comparison to rock chips on a painted bumper.

I could normally drive my truck without expectation of "having paint come off" (which is not at all an accurate description of what's occurring) if the roads were clean and there were no other cars on the road near me.
I do not have an expectation "paint not coming off" (which more accurately is paint being knocked/broken off by jagged stones traveling 40+ mph) with all the debris and traffic on the road.

If it were that important to you, yes or plan better and buy some temp PPF that could be applied in 10 minutes which I would have done had I bought from a dealer a significant distance from home; its called planning.

Again, what kind of paint isn't suspectable to rock chips that you'd want on the front and hood of your vehicle?
PPF can be had thru the aftermarket, hell, you could have had Mark Dodge send the truck out for PPF before you picked it up and flew out the next week but that requires thinking and planning, you know, adult S. I bet they would have passed the real cost straight through to you with no mark up.
All these are, are excuses looking to blame someone other than oneself for a lack of foresight.

BowDown

Reaction score
I learned a valuable lesson. Don’t buy a vehicle with a painted steel bumper UNLESS I protect it with PPF immediately from the day I buy it. Not gonna cry about it now after the fact since I knew going into it that this could be a problem but decided to go unprotected anyway. That’s on me.

Anybody that ordered truck in at least the last few years had the option to order PPF right from the factory. Wish I had done that but unfortunately I didn’t.

Sure they could use a better paint process or maybe even inclue PPF right from the factory on the front bumper but quite honestly I’ve seen plenty of other older vehicles on the road that are just trashed with paint chipped or wore almost completely off so it’s not a problem unique to Ram trucks. It’s very hard to prevent and no paint process will be 100% perfect for stopping those chips.

Above, this is the adult way of looking at this.

Honestly, I'd have used temp PPF till I got home or asked the dealer to drop it off at a detail shop to be PPF'd and I'd pick it up afterwards. Find a good PPF shop in the area and have it done before you pick it up, there's plenty of us scattered all over the US that would be happy to recommend a PPF shop near where anyone is buying a truck that they will need to travel back home with.

Ex: If you're in the Dallas area, NTX Clear Bra – Dynamite Wraps – Paint Protection and Vehicle Wraps

BowDown

Reaction score
BTW, my installer, NTX, told me to expect 3 to 5 years from my PPF before it would need to be replaced. He quoted me $350 for the bumper.
$350 to not be dealing with this, I'd be a fool to pass that up

Nels

Reaction score
Is it one flair? Could be repaired damage before you bought it. My dad bought a Chevy pic up in the 90s. within a year a lot of paint started peeling. He took it in for warranty, and the told him it would not be covered, because the truck had been painted. He grabbed the paperwork from the guy, and found out one whole side of the truck had been damaged in transit, and had body work done to it , but still sold as new, without disclosure, which would be illegal these days. I think he was ready to choke that guy, and I don't remember what they did to resolve, bu they do try to hide things like that.
Someone else mentiones that it's likely been repainted. No record of the truck being in any accidents bit could be.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck gets driven on the road and I have gotten a ton of chips in my bumper only really. The rest of the area is fine, so I think the problem is the paint and the bumper. Interestedly (or maybe not) the primer underneath is fine. They dont look like typical chips, so I dont know what is going on with these. I am probably going to get it painted like a Rebel is with that wrinkle finish/powder coat. Pretty disappointed that it is happening on a year old truck.

Users who are viewing this thread