5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 RAM 1500

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Actually the Durango went from a standard console shifter (pre '13), to the knob plopped in the same console spot ('14 -'17), and back to the standard console shifter ('18+). So that's not really apples to apples.
You're missing the point. I already knew that earlier Durango vehicles had a console shifter. But what I said was that prior to model year 2018, the Durango had a dial shifter (which is a true statement). The previous discussion was whether Ram would switch back to a console shifter from the rotary shifter. I was simply pointing out that FCA did that in the Durango. By the way, Ram had a console shifter before switching to the dial shifter during the 2013 model year. So, if Ram converts back to a console shifter, it would be similar to what Dodge did with the Durango.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You're missing the point. I already knew that earlier Durango vehicles had a console shifter. But what I said was that prior to model year 2018, the Durango had a dial shifter (which is a true statement). The previous discussion was whether Ram would switch back to a console shifter from the rotary shifter. I was simply pointing out that FCA did that in the Durango. By the way, Ram had a console shifter before switching to the dial shifter during the 2013 model year. So, if Ram converts back to a console shifter, it would be similar to what Dodge did with the Durango.
No I got it. All I was saying is slapping a knob in the same hole/location on an old existing platform is not the same as completely moving the shifter location and operation on a newer one. But you're right, it's just semantics at this point since the work is already done with the TRX.

I think the whole automotive trend of changing the shifter (both the location and standard PRNDL operation) just to make it 'different' is dumb unless it tangibly improves something about the interior (like freeing up space).

Last edited:

adrenaline66

Reaction score
My crystal ball says you will see Uconnect 5 and a center console shifter like the new F150 and TRX versus the electronic dial.
Though I miss the center mounted shifter (Even more so, the manuals), I gotta admit that I like the auto "Park" safety feature in the rotary dial and the added storage in the center console.

Last edited:

adrenaline66

Reaction score
GM will be adding the latest interiors/dash from the GMC Yukon and Denali into their 2022 trucks to get more on par with RAM and what Ford has done in the 2021.
Great point! It could be said that RAMs aren't late to the game; they're so far ahead that when they do make changes, it moves the goal post! Bought my first RAM in 2014 because it was the only way to get a Full Size with a Manual Transmission. I'm on my 2nd RAM now because I totaled the 2014 in October of this year (Damn Black Ice). The Interiors of the RAMs are so well thought out and appealing, and from personal experience, their Safety System is top Notch. Went from a 2500 Laramie to a 1500 Big Horn (No leather, but much more bang for my buck with all the Tech it has, IMHO). Think one of the best things FCA did was make RAM it's own entity, which is why the TRX is a reality. Again, just my opinion.

Last edited:

adrenaline66

Reaction score
No I got it. All I was saying is slapping a knob in the same hole/location on an old existing platform is not the same as completely moving the shifter location and operation on a newer one. But you're right, it's just semantics at this point since the work is already done with the TRX.

I think the whole automotive trend of changing the shifter (both the location and standard PRNDL operation) just to make it 'different' is dumb unless it tangibly improves something about the interior (like freeing up space).
It is nice having more storage space in the center console because there is no shifter there. And the auto "Park" feature, but who knows if those are the motivations behind the rotary shifter or just as you said, to make it "Different." My vote is keep the rotary, but give the option of console mounted shifter, or better yet, bring back the manual.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
Call me special, but does anyone see a shifter in this 2021 yukon interior?

1609043205928.png

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Button shifters are also being heavily utilized in Hondas line up.

Don't feel like getting tangled up in the nonsense about the center column shifter - but they needed to have a place for the launch control system in the TRX. Unless they're giving the regular trucks launch control I see no reason for them to move away from the rotary dial anytime soon. They've been in the trucks for almost 10 yrs now right?

I'd like to see the Ram brand go after some real new powertrains. Although I don't intend on getting a new truck for at least 8-10 yrs. By then who knows what the landscape will look like.

jimchi

Reaction score
I always assumed the engineers chose a rotary shift because it’s the simplest way to enable the auto park feature. I’ve used the knob in various rentals and it doesn’t take long to get used to.

I have a column shift in my ‘03 Explorer, and that’s honestly my favorite. Good place to rest your hand when operating the radio. I just wish it was an option on the 1500 - Id assume it’s physically possible as the column shift is offered on the HDs with the Cummins.

I’ve driven GMC and Hondas with the buttons and I loathe that design. Not intuitive at all, especially with the GMC push for P, N, and L, but pull for R and D.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And I am an engineer as well that moved many years ago into Technical Sales & Marketing Executive Leadership. I don't disagree, but things don't always go the way you/we want them too ;) Many manufacturers are moving away from dials to either console shifters or push buttons. As I stated above, don't hate me for what I am saying as it may very well come true and is certainly an option I believe RAM is looking at regardless of whether we "want" it or not. If RAM did make the change, it would not stop me from buying another one.
All right. The typewriter drive is coming back. KOOL!!! That was one of the best things in the '56 Crown Royal Coup I had. Except for the RED RAM engine, that is.

jimchi

Reaction score
Wow, I was originally thinking that, but I was like, no way, that would be stupid.
My first experience with the GMC buttons was in a rental late at night after my flight was delayed, and in a tight rental lot that required a 3-point turn to exit the space. I was not happy that day. Trying to figure out those buttons was the icing on the cake lol

Users who are viewing this thread