5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Limited 1500 Ram broke down

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That sucks. Hope nothing overly serious.
Just so you know, any time the check engine light is flashing, it means there is a big issue. That is programmed to happen by design.
Does this engine have a timing chain or belt? Also is it an interference engine or not?
It’s timing chain and interference.

Gillytickle

Reaction score
I would push for new truck...not engine. It will never be installed like factory.
As easy as it sounds, I ordered this truck and I was very specific. Not interested in anything with the same MSRP, just the exact options and nothing more. If it was a truck sitting in a lot and I picked it out, that would probably motivate to find another one.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not true. Flashing CEL means its picked up a misfire. A faulty spark plug could also cause it to flash.
"When the engine is running, the MIL may flash to alert serious conditions that could lead to immediate loss of power or severe catalytic converter damage. The vehicle should be serviced by an authorized dealer as soon as possible if this occurs"

From the owners manual.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think they mean serious by causing a power failure, which could be something as sever a timing failure or as simple as a bad coil/spark. Not always a actual mechanical failure, but a minor electrical that could lead to a loss of power.

Either way, if it flashes, stop the vehicle and have it towed (flat bedded) to your service center.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have never been so disappointed with a Chrysler product and this may be my last one.
A messed up engine on a new vehicle happens to every manufacturer, Especially engines now that are 10 times more complicated than engines 20 years ago. Plus everything is being mass produced right now so issues are bound to happen. Doesn’t make ram any less of a company because of it. I work from Mercedes and we’ve had brand-new vehicles blow engine with 20 miles on them. Doesn’t happen to every car. Personally if you’re upset about it, like others have said, I would look into lemon law. Not sure what the laws are in your state but where I’m at if your car is at the dealer down for more than 30 days ( at once or for various repairs) you qualify for lemon law. Problem is you ordered a vehicle with the options you wanted so either take what lemon law gives you or let them fix the vehicle. If they can’t find you an engine more than likely they will reach out to you to possibly buy your vehicle back

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would push for new truck...not engine. It will never be installed like factory.
Will never happen. Manufacture isn’t gonna give every customer with a brand-new vehicle that needs an engine a new car. I’ve seen that before where I work and they tell customers to kick rocks. If the engines are available that’s what they’re gonna do is replace it and pretty much tell you to be on your way.

RossoWheelson

Reaction score
No but they will do a buy back if you have the patience to call the national line, mention lemon laws, and then bounce paperwork back and forth with RAM and the dealer for a couple months.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Will never happen. Manufacture isn’t gonna give every customer with a brand-new vehicle that needs an engine a new car. I’ve seen that before where I work and they tell customers to kick rocks. If the engines are available that’s what they’re gonna do is replace it and pretty much tell you to be on your way.

For a vehicle this new, it does happen, I've seen it and there are a few examples of posters here where it happened. One guy needed a new tranny after a couple of months, he got a new truck.

Needing a new engine within warranty is rare, needing a new one before the first payment is even rarer, considering the depreciation loss on resale of a major powertrain replacement on a brand new truck along with the wait time which could be weeks in this case. It's easier to just get him into a new vehicle while the manufacturer takes the hit, repairs the vehicle in their own time and sells it at a discount.

However, the OP doesn't actually want a new truck, he speced this his way and wants it back, that's totally fine as well.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For a vehicle this new, it does happen, I've seen it and there are a few examples of posters here where it happened. One guy needed a new tranny after a couple of months, he got a new truck.

Needing a new engine within warranty is rare, needing a new one before the first payment is even rarer, considering the depreciation loss on resale of a major powertrain replacement on a brand new truck along with the wait time which could be weeks in this case. It's easier to just get him into a new vehicle while the manufacturer takes the hit, repairs the vehicle in their own time and sells it at a discount.

However, the OP doesn't actually want a new truck, he speced this his way and wants it back, that's totally fine as well.
usually, the only way someone is getting a new vehicle is if there is a parts availability issue, short of that, if there are plenty of parts available, manufacture isn't going to just give you a new car. Then again I guess every case is different. I usually see it when its a brand new car and it needs a body harness or other item that has to be made and the wait time is 3-6 months. Then they quickly get the customer out of that car and into another one. I really don't see how the resale value is affected by a replacement powertrain item. The new engine/trans usually usually comes with its own warranty. Your carfax isn't affected, unless the tech destroys your car replacing the engine, shouldn't affect reseale value. But yea OP is in a tough situation because if the truck was special ordered, getting out of this one and into another is not as easy if the options are not found on the lot.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
usually, the only way someone is getting a new vehicle is if there is a parts availability issue, short of that, if there are plenty of parts available, manufacture isn't going to just give you a new car. Then again I guess every case is different. I usually see it when its a brand new car and it needs a body harness or other item that has to be made and the wait time is 3-6 months. Then they quickly get the customer out of that car and into another one. I really don't see how the resale value is affected by a replacement powertrain item. The new engine/trans usually usually comes with its own warranty. Your carfax isn't affected, unless the tech destroys your car replacing the engine, shouldn't affect reseale value. But yea OP is in a tough situation because if the truck was special ordered, getting out of this one and into another is not as easy if the options are not found on the lot.

Sure, it's a rare case, but sometimes the dealer or regional sales manager (in the case with the RAM owner who needed a new tranny) will assist in helping the new buyer get another truck.

It will hurt your resale, needing a new engine or tranny will automatically make people worry about that vehicle needing something that big that early. In reality, probably nothing to worry about, but if I was looking at a 1-2 year old vehicle that needed a new engine, I rather have one that didn't.

As mentioned though, it's a special order by the OP, it makes sense for him to fix his truck.

Last edited:

Gillytickle

Reaction score

I'm cool with getting a new motor.
Lemon law here is 30 business days or 4x to attempt the repair. Most likely this will meet the requirements for lemon law by the time they find a motor.
You're assessment with the truck being special ordered is correct and it would take alot for me to swap it out, I'm more likely to chase a refund if it comes to it.

Ctmaz68

Reaction score
Not true. Flashing CEL means its picked up a misfire. A faulty spark plug could also cause it to flash.
A flashing check engine light means there is something going on that will endanger the catalytic converters, i.e. a misfire as stated above. Anything that will allow unburned fuel to go out the exhaust.

RedFred

Reaction score

I guess you missed the part where the OP said the motor is currently on back order.

BowDown

Reaction score

1000% wrong. Thats not a complicated process and the engine can easily be replaced with zero issues or the buyer being able to detect that the engine was swapped

BowDown

Reaction score
I'm cool with getting a new motor.
Lemon law here is 30 business days or 4x to attempt the repair. Most likely this will meet the requirements for lemon law by the time they find a motor.
You're assessment with the truck being special ordered is correct and it would take alot for me to swap it out, I'm more likely to chase a refund if it comes to it.

That's a good attitude to have, too many people are too quick to jump on the lemon law bus. In most states it requires multiple attempts to fix an issue. I think you'd be justified in asking them for a couple payments or additional discounts for the inconvenience.
That said, once they get a new engine, the truck will still be as good as new with no loss in value or performance, you'll be fine

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In my experience if the dealer is reputable they will get Ram to assist in paying his payments if the fix is taking too long due to parts issues. They could even add an extended warranty, or service contracts.

It's disappointing that the engine failed. The process to replace it as actually straight forward. They are replacing not rebuilding the engine.

JaylonW

Reaction score
1000% wrong. Thats not a complicated process and the engine can easily be replaced with zero issues or the buyer being able to detect that the engine was swapped
If you say so. Given the choice, which one would you think most people would prefer on a NEW 70K truck.... a new engine replacement, or new truck. I know what i would prefer.

JaylonW

Reaction score
I literally had the transmission go out on me when i drove off the lot with a new ford explorer about 15 years ago. They replaced the truck without issue. Guess I was fortunate

Users who are viewing this thread