5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Limited 1500 Ram broke down

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Will never happen. Manufacture isn’t gonna give every customer with a brand-new vehicle that needs an engine a new car. I’ve seen that before where I work and they tell customers to kick rocks. If the engines are available that’s what they’re gonna do is replace it and pretty much tell you to be on your way.
I don't know any shop that can diag, order and replace a motor before the 30 day out of service clock runs out and it becomes a lemon and that's before covid, now forget it. Then its WHOLE NEW TRUCK time.

If you want to deal then sure, ask for a warranty forever and a new engine or whatever, but 99% of the time you are better of making them eat the truck under lemon law and getting a new truck.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sure, it's a rare case, but sometimes the dealer or regional sales manager (in the case with the RAM owner who needed a new tranny) will assist in helping the new buyer get another truck.

It will hurt your resale, needing a new engine or tranny will automatically make people worry about that vehicle needing something that big that early. In reality, probably nothing to worry about, but if I was looking at a 1-2 year old vehicle that needed a new engine, I rather have one that didn't.

As mentioned though, it's a special order by the OP, it makes sense for him to fix his truck.
It'll be service records, but it's not like an accident reported. It's done by the manufacturer so it's not anything different than an oil change as far as records.

Even if it's a special order, you can get another one. Unless they stop making something. Sometimes though for lemon law and other things depending on the state and how "nice" you are though accommodations can be made. I know of someone who got a vehicle that was no longer officially made, and they got a 2014 model when the car officially stopped production in 2013. They ran off a few extras for custom orders before a facelift so sometimes it can work and you might end up with something interesting.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't know any shop that can diag, order and replace a motor before the 30 day out of service clock runs out and it becomes a lemon and that's before covid, now forget it. Then its WHOLE NEW TRUCK time.

If you want to deal then sure, ask for a warranty forever and a new engine or whatever, but 99% of the time you are better of making them eat the truck under lemon law and getting a new truck.
depends on the dealer. The dealer I work at, 2022 vehicles that come in with low miles are a top priority. When the vehicle needs an engine and its available, we can usually get it within a day or so. If it comes from Germany (I work for Mercedes) usually 7-10 days. When the engine comes in, usually the adviser is on the techs *** to get it done, because they want to get paid. Plus, the shop foreman and managers will be on your case to get the car done. Most vehicles that need engines are cut and dry diagnosis, rod went through the block or dropped a valve and destroyed the engine. Don't run into many scenarios that need extensive diagnosis to warrant an engine replacement. But as far as lemon law, most customers don't think about lemon law until they are in the dealer multiple times for the same issue. Most don't even know about lemon law. Alot don't care as long as they get a loaner vehicle while their car is in the dealer, then they are happy. In this case though, since he had a factory order truck, its a tough situation because you aren't getting another truck just like what you ordered. Might as well just suck it up and wait for the engine. Maybe as the manufacture to eat a few payments.

Grimgreg

Reaction score
Either way lemon it, you can get compensation and still keep the vehicle, lemon doesn't mean automatic buyback.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you say so. Given the choice, which one would you think most people would prefer on a NEW 70K truck.... a new engine replacement, or new truck. I know what i would prefer.

Why does the cost matter? Secondly, what someone wants is irrelevant, what the manufacturer is obligated to do is and that's to correct the defect. What you my p[refer is not what you may get especially with a couple thousand miles on the truck

BowDown

Reaction score
I literally had the transmission go out on me when i drove off the lot with a new ford explorer about 15 years ago. They replaced the truck without issue. Guess I was fortunate

Driving off the ;lot and having a failure is entirely different than 1500 miles later

BowDown

Reaction score

I know of many

RedFred

Reaction score
Its not a lemon
Not yet. They have time to get it fixed. The question is whether or not they can get it done in time. And even if it's done in time, it needs to be done correctly, and to the point there isn't going to be multiple visits back to the dealership for items related to the motor replacement. I'm not overly confident, but since the OP wants his truck back even with a new motor, I hope they get it done.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Either way lemon it, you can get compensation and still keep the vehicle, lemon doesn't mean automatic buyback.
Pretty sure lemon law doesn't work like that. The manufacture has to either replace the vehicle or repurchase it. Don;t think they will compensate you and let you keep the vehicle.

BowDown

Reaction score
Not yet. They have time to get it fixed. The question is whether or not they can get it done in time. And even if it's done in time, it needs to be done correctly, and to the point there isn't going to be multiple visits back to the dealership for items related to the motor replacement. I'm not overly confident, but since the OP wants his truck back even with a new motor, I hope they get it done.

It depends on the state but even in this instance, lemon law requires for them to have time to fix it. It also requires repeated service attempts for the same problem, not related problems.
Installing an engine is pretty straightforward, especially an entire assembly coming from the manufacturer ie, they're not going to have to install heads, the intake, valve covers, fuel rail or any related items. All they'll need to do is install the accessory drives from the front of the motor to the new motor and the exhaust, bolted to the transmission, bolt the torque converter to the flex plate. Very simple and straightforward, I'd be surprised if they didn't do that in 2 days once the engine is onsite.

I have zero concerns about the competency of the shop or the technician(s) installing the motor. Provided this is at a decent shop, that's not a concern as this would be done by a heavy line tech who has done this repeatedly in the past.
Look at cevans6318's post

BowDown

Reaction score
Pretty sure lemon law doesn't work like that. The manufacture has to either replace the vehicle or repurchase it. Don;t think they will compensate you and let you keep the vehicle.

It doesn't, people are too quick to throw around the lemon law term and reading posts here would make you think every 10th truck is a defective product and needs to be lemon lawed

There's literally millions of these trucks on the road now with the vast majority of them having never having had a issue.
People are just unrealistic sometimes

harcam

Reaction score
"When the engine is running, the MIL may flash to alert serious conditions that could lead to immediate loss of power or severe catalytic converter damage. The vehicle should be serviced by an authorized dealer as soon as possible if this occurs"

From the owners manual.
Yes thats what the owners manual says and so does the internet. As a mechanic with 35 yrs in the business im letting you know its not always a serious engine damaging problem.

BowDown

Reaction score
FYI, from another forum I visit

After six and half months my buddy got his F-150...

$70k and almost seven months of waiting, he finally got the Ford F-150 last week. It is now in shop as it is leaking oil!....and was given a rental to drive as they don't know when it can be fixed with the supply chain issue. Poor guy is ready to shoot someone!...
lol.gif

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes thats what the owners manual says and so does the internet. As a mechanic with 35 yrs in the business im letting you know its not always a serious engine damaging problem.

I would advise anyone with a flashing check engine light not to drive the vehicle. A flashing light could be as easy as a bad spark plug, or could have a broken valve spring, broken camshaft, a hole in a piston, a damaged crank tone wheel..... this goes on

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
but it will be if you ignore it and it's not something simple or stupid. They are called idiot lights for a reason.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It depends on the state but even in this instance, lemon law requires for them to have time to fix it. It also requires repeated service attempts for the same problem, not related problems.
Installing an engine is pretty straightforward, especially an entire assembly coming from the manufacturer ie, they're not going to have to install heads, the intake, valve covers, fuel rail or any related items. All they'll need to do is install the accessory drives from the front of the motor to the new motor and the exhaust, bolted to the transmission, bolt the torque converter to the flex plate. Very simple and straightforward, I'd be surprised if they didn't do that in 2 days once the engine is onsite.

I have zero concerns about the competency of the shop or the technician(s) installing the motor. Provided this is at a decent shop, that's not a concern as this would be done by a heavy line tech who has done this repeatedly in the past.
Look at cevans6318's post
its generally 3 or more repairs for the same reason ( no problem found counts as an attempt, so get your exact words on paper and keep that RO ) or 30 days cumulative out of service for any and all reasons combined. They get a final repair attempt, but it you want it gone, and you've hit the statutory limits its done.

Also as long as the date of the first complaint was under warranty, all the other repairs even "out of warranty" are valid for lemon law. If there's any warranty on anything at all you can lemon law it under federal law Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. The MMWA is more powerful as it does not allow for a deduction for use or mileage like state laws do. You can also file under both state and federal as they are separate jurisdictions and double recover if you really want to turn the screws and have a good case and under federal you can seek trebled damages. But you'd better be prepared for a fight.

Gillytickle

Reaction score
Update:
So yesterday they found a motor and supposedly it will be here the 28th.
I am skeptical on that and so are the service workers at the dealership but we shall see.
Still, going from backordered to one being located is a success.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online