5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 GMC Sierra Truck Launch

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
How does the interior quality compare? Still haven't been in an updated GM truck yet.
Night and day from the past generation and absolutely beautiful. Is it at the same level as RAM? That is a questions that folks can debate. I say...not quite, but darn close that it could sway me away from RAM.

coderman

Reaction score
Well, I can tell you this. I've owned a 2020 RAM 1500 Limited, a 2020 Ford Raptor, a 2021 Ford Lariat and now my new GMC Sierra 1500 Denali. I've been on the hunt for the "perfect" truck.

To me that means the toughness and durability you'd want out of a vehicle meant to handle tougher terrain, tow and haul items and operate dependably in all of these harsher conditions than your average Corolla would ever encounter. Plus, do it with a bit of luxury.

- The 10 speed automatic, and 6.2L V8 and hands-down well above the Ford and RAM. The entire drivetrain is smoother with no clunky ridiculous shifting issues, the 4auto works smoothly and quietly (unlike the RAM which was rough at best), no steering wheel shudder like on the RAM, and more importantly an auto-locking rear differential is standard on the GMC trucks which is huge ... the RAM and Ford are like trucks built in the 80's to this day, using a basic open differential. Ridiculous especially when you consider the wheelbase of a pickup truck, and the light rear end. Having an open-diff in any kind of loose grip situation is laughable at best.
- The 6.2L pulls like a freight train right from idle; much better torque band than either engine. Fuel economy is similar to the 5.0L Coyote, which I would consider pretty decent for pushing a large pickup truck around with a NA V8
- The GMC drives solid and strong like a truck should, while simultaneously being smooth. Very nice. I'll give it to the RAM here though, the air ride suspension is comfortable! Loved that part of the truck, it's what sold me initially and is the only thing I really could say I liked ... except for the visit to the shop at 1,000KM because my air ride suspension emitted a fault code ;) Ford, well it's mediocre and what can I say; the seats suck for comfort haha
- The RAM interior while seeming flashy and 'nice', was chintzy at best with multiple rattling and loose components right down to the Start / Stop button rattling around in the dash. Horrible fitment, and the cheap touches like the knurled 'metal' looked like a goofy Vegas penny slot machine. The Ford while more 'plain' was a step above in both generation vehicles. Hated that cheap unreliable RAM touch screen with lack of proper physical buttons for important functions.
- The refreshed Denali interior by contrast is both beautiful, and very very functional with physical switches where you want them for the features you want and the screen is meant exclusively for altering settings, navigation and multimedia duties. General things you need for comfort and driving, or display items/guage control there are physical buttons for that. Not to change your temperature and manage other functions while driving like your heated steering wheel or seats. Absolute junk on the RAM. Ford was better, but still put things like the heated steering wheel into a software switch for example.
- The truck bed and tailgate ... RAM, what an absolute joke. Go buy yourself an aftermarket kick-out single step to get into the bed mounted under the bumper lol. Hilarious. The Ford, better but cheap and feels like it's going to break half the time stepping on the flimsy pull-out step. GMC multi-function tailgate ... solid, works as a bed extender, step, has a solid grab handle, higher weight capacity, can fold half of it down to use a ramp, or just to have more arm length reach into the truck bed. The bed itself ... MUCH more space overall. It's shocking how much more space you get in a Sierra 1500 bed considering the exterior dimensions are roughly the same. Ford has the least space, followed by RAM and then GMC.

IMG_3079.jpeg

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have to say, my RAM has been solid, I've owned more recent Ford offerings, but not GM recently (as in the last decade) to compare to.

I don't have any of the mechanical or quality issues you outlined above, In fact I think my RAM is probably my the most trouble free new vehicle I've purchased in the last decade, And I have and still own several premium vehicle makes.

That being said, It's clearly an issue for a segment of owners who haven't been so lucky. I will say, I am not a fan of of RAM (or Stellantis) overall dealership network, their customer service is below any I've experienced, to the point I do my own oil changes.

The fact that Chevy has the 2nd best rated dealer network for customer satisfaction (while Stellantis is near last) isn't lost on me. If I was in the market for another truck, I would definitely be looking at a new Trail Boss now that they fixed it's previous interior. It really has no weak spots anymore. The Sierra however doesn't have the look I am after.

But not in a hurry, I most likely will be looking in a few years and most likely by then it will be a hybrid or EV truck, open to all makes.

Last edited:

coderman

Reaction score
Maybe you got lucky with your RAM. Always hang onto a good truck that's for sure :) And yes, definitely the dealer network makes a difference as well over the lifespan of the vehicle. My own experience absolutely matches the dealer ratings you've mentioned here without knowing or looking that data up at all. GMC is at the top so far for North American companies anyhow. By far Audi has the best dealer and purchasing experience in my books; but that's an entirely different (non truck) topic :)

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In 2018, I was about to buy a GMC truck. I was coming from a 2006 Silverado Z71 that had 165k no problem miles. I was talked into getting the 2018 F150 as "it must be a better truck because they sold over 800k the year before" is what I was told. My son had also had good luck with newer Mustangs, so I gave it a shot. Let's just say that 6 months later, that F150 was lemon lawed. I drove a BMW for the next 1.5 years while I made my decision on trucks.

I went back to GMC to look, but I did NOT like the look of the new design plus the interior was so basic. The F150 was off my list due to how cheap the overall truck was on both the interior and exterior. In 2018+, I like the looks of the F150, just not the quality or support I was getting. By the 2021 model year, I decided on the Ram. The exterior looks were great, the interior is awesome, and while GM does have some features that I miss, I enjoy this truck. I've had no issues that others have mentioned. My Rebel rides smooth, is quiet with no interior or exterior rattles, no vibrations, etc. I wish it had the traditional column or console shifter, but....

GM needs to do better in their looks department for me to come back. I haven't been in their redesigned interiors because the exterior still looks blotchy to me. I know that GM has some good features, or did, and they do get better gas mileage than the Hemi, but I plan on keeping this truck as long as I can.

GARebel19

Reaction score
Maybe I got lucky too or he was just unlucky, especially with all the issues he's claiming. It's like he's describing a different truck to me. This is my first Ram and was very hesitant when making the purchase but I have no regrets. The interior on my Ram has been very quiet and comfortable, and I've always been impressed with the fit and finish. The HEMI pulls like it should and my 12inch screen has never given me any problems. Don't know how it could be described as junk since again it works like it should and there are physical buttons to change the temperature since that's important to some people. Also never experienced any of the transmission issues described above and have been happy with how smooth it is. The multi function tailgate, while expensive and nice, I would probably never use if I had it. I can kick down my step and put it back up with one foot. Maybe I'm not old enough yet to appreciate the multi function tailgate.

I've had full size Chevrolet trucks in the past and have always liked them but like anything else they were hardly problem free.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Maybe I'm lucky, though I think my situation is closer to normal, my other buddies with RAMs are having similar positive experiences. But I think sometimes you get unlucky, and sometimes you get a lemon, which happens with all makes.

You will find the occasional Ford or GM owner who comes on here with their sad truck stories and happy to be driving a RAM, and of course vice versa. I don't think trucks with constant issues is the norm. We are on a forum here, representing a small minority of owners. A lot of people who go on forums have issues and looking for answers, which over represents issues. Doesn't mean they don't exist, but likely not a big percentage of the ownership experience.

Limited2021

Reaction score
I came from a GM to a Ram for a couple of reasons. The air ride, the seats, and the upgraded interior. I went to the dealership and was going to buy a new 2021 Denali or a Ram limited. I ordered a limited Ram. Sat in both trucks side by side on the lot and the Denali comfort and style just wasn't there. I really thought it was going to be harder to get me to switch than that since I have been GM all my life but Ram just impressed me. Don't get me wrong I don't like some things on this truck that I think GM just did better like the Auto climate controls is probably one of my biggest complaints but all in all still a good truck. They booth have there good and bad but now that GM changed the interior and the diesel is an option at a reasonable price I may just go back to GM.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I looked at couple of new GM trucks. The interior while nice and a big step in the right direction is still a step below Ram in my opinion The seats are smaller and more narrow, the dash is nice but the center console and door sill plastics where still of a cheaper look and feel then Ram. The rear seat is lower to the ground and adult passengers will be sitting with thier knees more up in the air. On the plus side the GM has a better Air conditioning system, while I didn't test the 4 auto thier seems to be a consensous it is a bit better then Rams system.

CMil527

Reaction score
The GMC looks much better but still not up to snuff imo... with the exception of the 6.2 engine option which I love!

Users who are viewing this thread