5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 eTorque Surge When Starting To Move

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When it happens, are you in ECO mode? I have a 21 with etorque and it's smooth, only shuts off when i'm stopped for a second, etc etc.

But at times when i'm coasting to a redlight knowing it will turn green, i'll go from coasting/stopping to gas pretty quick. At times too quick for the ECO to cancel and all cyclinders to resume. It feels a little jolty.

If it's not an eco thing, can you see what your rpm's do when it restarts and does it?
Not in eco mode for me. From what I have gathered the engine is running and rpm’s are steady. It feels like a lag of when the transmission kicks into gear.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I recently went to a '22 eTorque from a '19 eTorque. Love my '22 overall but not a fan of the changes they made to the start/stop. I don't have an issue with the start when it's from a full and complete stop. That said, I find the shutdown while still moving when coming to a rolling stop to be awful. What were they thinking? it's a nuisance. When it restarts before you make it to a full stop, I definitely think it's overly aggressive. It's not uncommon to need to come back off the brake a bit while rolling to a stop even if you still plan to fully stop. Like for example when the car in front of you at a light moves up a little further before you reach a full stop and you let up on the brake a titch to close the gap in your roll to a stop. When you do that in this new setup it's a hodge podge of engine on and off and lunging activity that's poorly tuned if not dangerous. I thought the start/stop in the '19 was flawless, the '22 is not even close IMO.
Yup! That’s it right there.

Bavet

Reaction score
I think enough people need to complain about it so they fix the problem. This isn’t acceptable and sounds like a safety issue.
It's definitely a safety issue. Anytime you can't have total control over your vehicle its a safety issue. Two times in the same place my engine started after a stop but it didn't go into gear. I counted to six before it finally clunked into gear.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's definitely a safety issue. Anytime you can't have total control over your vehicle its a safety issue. Two times in the same place my engine started after a stop but it didn't go into gear. I counted to six before it finally clunked into gear.
I’m really regretting ordering eTorque now😖
Just glad I didn’t pay extra for it.
My gut was telling me not to but I didn’t listen till it was too late to change my order. An Auto-Stop Eliminator is no doubt in my future.

Bavet

Reaction score
I’m really regretting ordering eTorque now😖
Just glad I didn’t pay extra for it.
My gut was telling me not to but I didn’t listen till it was too late to change my order. An Auto-Stop Eliminator is no doubt in my future.
An Auto Stop Eliminator is fine but I pull a camper and I'm really close on my payload limit. I would really like to have the extra weight that eTorque adds back. Or just have Ram engineering give us back the eTorque from 2019 to 2021.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Did you guys see this thread?

jgc650i

Reaction score
Did you guys see this thread?

Just checked mine and it doesn't show this recall. I'm thinking maybe this doesn't address the broader functionality of the new setup and is specific only to the stalling issue, which may already be addressed in my truck as it's a recent build. Would be curious to hear from someone who has the recall, does the description say what range of build dates it applies to? Mine was built on March 18, 2022.

jives

Reaction score
Just adding that my 2022 Rebel GT definitely exhibits the surging as well.

jives

Reaction score
An Auto Stop Eliminator is fine but I pull a camper and I'm really close on my payload limit. I would really like to have the extra weight that eTorque adds back. Or just have Ram engineering give us back the eTorque from 2019 to 2021.
How does eTorque add to towing capacity? Not sure I process how that's feasible.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Supposedly, yes. Ram says

TAKE IT ALL IN TOW

Equally equipped for both work and adventure, the 2022 Ram 1500 has a towing capacity of up to 12,750 pounds( Disclosure1) when outfitted with the available 5.7L HEMI® V8 engine with eTorque.

POUNDS MAX TOWING

Bavet

Reaction score
How does eTorque add to towing capacity? Not sure I process how that's feasible.
I didn't say towing capacity. I meant with my trailer attached I'm very close to my payload capacity and would like to have back the weight of the electric motor and the 48v battery to give myself a little more payload cushion. I can get the Stop/Start Eliminator but I'm still carrying around that useless weight. Should have just not gotten the eTorque this time around.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I am a Former Ford Truck owner, I was on my way to buy a F150 5.0 and stopped at a Dodge dealership on my way. I tripped and fell into a 2019 1500 5.7L ETorque 2wd Crewcab 51k miles. I love the truck but I have been having some issues.
1# when filling up the 26gal fuel tank the truck shows only 260/300 miles to empty. I have only been able to manage 10-12mpg driving and doing everything I can to increase mileage.
2# When I come to a stop and the auto/start stop restarts the motor the truck surges forward violently.
3# While applying the brakes the truck surges like I’m pumping the brakes and makes it uncomfortable for passengers who think I’m braking that way.
4# The gear display seems to always show the truck in 8th gear until I get it under 30mph.
It’s at the dealership now and they have given me a 21/22 1500 5.7L 2wd Clubcab 6.4bed. as a loaner. I have been driving it for several days now and can say it is a completely different truck. I am getting 18/22mpg driving it a little harder than I drove mine to see how the mpg’s would be affected. The Braking and shifting is smooth, it displays more gears when driving. This truck doesn’t have ETorque so I am not able to compare that to mine.
I really love my truck overall but the issues listed above are not something I can live with when spending that kind of money on a vehicle. I have searched on the internet and forums and cannot find related issues with Etorque or anything.
has anyone else experienced these issues or know what may be the culprit. I really would like to keep the truck my wife likes it and is tired off my diesels, but averaging less mpg’s than my jacked up diesels is crazy especially with these gas prices.

Try disconnecting the battery (full disconnect, not just negative) overnight. Hook back up. Wait a few hours before you drive it. Then give it a few weeks to readjust the "learning" transmission. See if that helps. You could also see if there is a ECM/TCM update through the dealer.

Derek916

Reaction score
Just curious, is the surging people reporting in this thread similar to the thread/video I have about sudden acceleration? '22 Laramie eTorque 5.7 4x4.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck is at the dealership. The tech took it out for a ride and noted the issues we are complaining about. Tomorrow he is going to open a STAR case. I would encourage others who are having this problem to reach out to their dealers as I think the more complaints there are the higher the chance of it getting fixed-I hope. I have to believe this is related to programming and can get taken care of. @RamCares can you link some of these problems noted in the forum to my STAR case?

OutdoorsmanBackcountry

Reaction score
I have a 22 and honestly can't tell when mine starts/ stops and have no idea what you guys are talking about. Only had it almost 2 months and it's been hot out so maybe it's not kicking in cause the cabins cooling.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 22 and honestly can't tell when mine starts/ stops and have no idea what you guys are talking about. Only had it almost 2 months and it's been hot out so maybe it's not kicking in cause the cabins cooling.
That's good! After the update I notice mine a lot less but it's still there. Mine doesn't kick in hardly at all during this bit of heat we are getting.

Users who are viewing this thread