5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 1500 Wind Noise

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
My 22 has this exact noise, but only at 45-47 mph. Is this something that can be fixed? It’s super quiet everywhere else. It goes away if I crack a window, recirc does nothing.
lol, 45-47 mph?

So at 44 its quiet and at 48 it's quiet?

I can assure you that's not the same noise as what we have....

Ktm150xcwtpi

Reaction score
lol, 45-47 mph?

So at 44 its quiet and at 48 it's quiet?

I can assure you that's not the same noise as what we have....
Exactly, that’s why it sucks so bad. Not sure what’s up with the “lol” This thing is quieter than my wife Mercedes but it’s just like a rear window is cracked from 45-47 but it goes away if I crack a window.

Tonyevent

Reaction score
I have a theory. The new body style does not have that molding surrounding the windshield (my 2022 Laramie vs my 2018 Limited). In fact the edge of the glass is visible. I took it to a glass guy and he stated that is the new body style. I think it’s possible to add a generic molding around the perimeter of the glass or at least the vertical perimeters. The reason I think this may be the noise is that I had to unfortunately replace my windshield with just a few thousand miles on the truck. They replaced with the real RAM Logo glass however noticed that upper right windshield wind noise after the new install. Glass company did an interior air presser test and it is sealed. Wondering if the gutters showing the edge of the glass might be the issue and just a millimeter of difference or so new windshield placement could have created what many are experiencing out of the factory. I am going to hunt generic rubber molding and try it.

Tonyevent

Reaction score
More discovered. So as above truck from the dealership did not have that seemingly wind noise passenger side upper right windshield area. New windshield and then the noise. The new body style does not have the molding around the windshield so that the edge of the glass is visible verses the classic body style. Just a few millimeters of installation of new windshield out of level showing that space between the roof, black molding, and the edge of the windshield having ever so slightly more space than the top right drivers side. Very clearly you can see where wind would work it’s way at that spot and wind or whistle. Just like whistling only takes micro millimeters of your lips to move and that whistle becomes another sound exaggerated by 80 MPH wind etc. That edge in the photo is the edge of the windshield If this is the problem there are countless generic moldings to fix this That space in the photo on the outside passenger side is slightly larger than the drivers side we will see and will report back good edition to the look of the truck anyway RAM Cheapened themself for lack of what is really flashing and should be there in the first place C3E09D3D-8985-4AA1-A72A-259979F98754.jpeg

RussellJ

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody has run into the same issue as me. I picked up a 2022 1500 Bighorn Hemi E-Torque a couple weeks ago and immediately noticed a wind noise above 60mph. Coming from the passenger side, I originally thought the windshield had not been sealed properly. A couple days go by and I happened to turn off the recirculating air driving down the highway and boom, noise was gone. Turn recirc back on, noise is back. Also every time I turn the truck on I have to “cycle” the recirc On/off to avoid the noise. I have an appointment next week with the dealer to get it fixed, but I was curious if anyone else has ran into this
Did you ever get this resolved? My 2022 Laramie E-Torque has this same issue. Goes away after cycling the recirculation button. Even if recirculation is not on if I turn it on then off it goes away. Highway speeds only it seems.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

popstn

Reaction score
My '22 Limited has this air noise on the drivers side. Noticed the noise as soon as I pulled out of dealer. Turning the recirculation on makes it worse. Cracking a window makes it worse. I also have the panoramic sunroof. Have a feeling it doesn't open in vent mode as much as the panoramic sunroof in my '21 Laramie did.

lrrltt

Reaction score
Hi What was the fix for this issue? I am seeing it as well with 2022 1500 BigHorn on the Highway.

Thank you in Advance

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hi What was the fix for this issue? I am seeing it as well with 2022 1500 BigHorn on the Highway.

Thank you in Advance
There are several different noises you can be hearing and without taking stuff apart and listening you would never be able to narrow it down.
Some are door trim, windshield pin holes, recirc actuator, etc.

I made mine better by filling some pinholes under the windshield area but it's still there. When I put on window deflectors the noise was the same (because I did in channel purposely) so I just said screw it as my exhaust is loud anyways.
It is still annoying on the highway as it's louder then my music sometimes unless I turn recirc off and let whatever smells and humidity outside in.

lrrltt

Reaction score
There are several different noises you can be hearing and without taking stuff apart and listening you would never be able to narrow it down.
Some are door trim, windshield pin holes, recirc actuator, etc.

I made mine better by filling some pinholes under the windshield area but it's still there. When I put on window deflectors the noise was the same (because I did in channel purposely) so I just said screw it as my exhaust is loud anyways.
It is still annoying on the highway as it's louder then my music sometimes unless I turn recirc off and let whatever smells and humidity outside in.
Thanks for the reply. I have definitely narrowed down to the recirculation.

WyoRam21

Reaction score
I have the same wind noise. It is definitely louder the faster I go over 45 and at 80 is fairly loud and annoying. Pushing the re circ button makes it ALOT louder. I have noticed if I turn the fan up to the highest it just about goes away.

TyH2009

Reaction score
I have a slight wind noise from the rear passenger window on the highway. Took it to the dealer to look at, and “no issue found, similar to model on lot tested”. Sweet.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2022 Laramie recently developed this issue. Very annoying buzzing sound coming from passenger side dash area near the speaker. Starts at low highway speeds and gets worse around 65 mph and higher. It does not sound like a typical whishing wind noise, but more like an electrical buzzing noise. I turned off the Recirc. and the noise went away. It is driving me crazy. The truck is still under warranty, but I HATE taking it to the dealerships. I'm very particular about my truck and keep it in immaculate condition, and I want to keep it that way. Dealerships around me are so packed that you can barely even open your door enough to squeeze out. I can just imagine how many door dings and scratches I'll have when I get my truck back. I may have to tinker around a bit myself to see if I can fix it. Anyone else have any current updates on this issue?

Last edited:

PM-Performance

Reaction score
my 21 has had wind noise on the passenger side since it drove off the lot.
I only hear it if the driver window is cracked, then it whistles a little on the pass side until cracked as well.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
My 2022 Laramie recently developed this issue. Very annoying buzzing sound coming from passenger side dash area near the speaker. Starts at low highway speeds and gets worse around 65 mph and higher. It does not sound like a typical whishing wind noise, but more like an electrical buzzing noise. I turned off the Recirc. and the noise went away. It is driving me crazy. The truck is still under warranty, but I HATE taking it to the dealerships. I'm very particular about my truck and keep it in immaculate condition, and I want to keep it that way. Dealerships around me are so packed that you can barely even open your door enough to squeeze out. I can just imagine how many door dings and scratches I'll have when I get my truck back. I may have to tinker around a bit myself to see if I can fix it. Anyone else have any current updates on this issue?
I have the same thing ever since I bought my truck. Recirc on noise, off no noise.
I took it to 2 different dealerships and they gave me the same crap of "we don't hear anything" on the road test.

I took apart my A pillar and filled what I thought might of been a hole but it didn't seem to make a difference.

If I have Recirc on and shut the truck off and turn it on with the vents set to 0 it's noisy too, I need to enable Recirc, then disable it and noise goes away even with the system off.

ffemtroberts

Reaction score
Beneath the front right dash speaker, there's a space...inside that space there is a small gap, like a pinhole almost, that whistles and makes a buzz sound that fluctuates with wind noise over about 65....I'm going to pull that speaker and put some sound mat or something over that spot that was missed with the other dampening material and I'll report back what results that gives. Attached PDF discusses the air recirc box seals, but I've found other sites with reports of a small hole where the body panels meet in the area under the front right dash speaker location.

2022 Bighorn Badlander Edition

Attachments

• Air Inlet Noise.pdf
    209.7 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Beneath the front right dash speaker, there's a space...inside that space there is a small gap, like a pinhole almost, that whistles and makes a buzz sound that fluctuates with wind noise over about 65....I'm going to pull that speaker and put some sound mat or something over that spot that was missed with the other dampening material and I'll report back what results that gives. Attached PDF discusses the air recirc box seals, but I've found other sites with reports of a small hole where the body panels meet in the area under the front right dash speaker location.

2022 Bighorn Badlander Edition
Do report back.
Speaker comes out super easy grate pops right off.
A pillar has a single screw and pulls out, I don't remember if you need to take it out to get the speaker as I took my A pillar off first,

I wasn't able to figure out much in there. I think I would need someone to drive my truck while I sit in the passenger seat with the A pillar removed and glovebox taken out (just in case it's something stuck in there).

That TSB you posted is 100% my problem, I will need to find what it is referring to that 2 differnet dealerships said I was crazy and they couldn't hear anything (they didn't want to look at it).

Edit: o sh*t. Do I need to take the entire dash off to get to this air inlet housing?
I have taken off the radio and lower and upper gloveboxes, i'm not sure if that allows enough clearance, looks like at least 4 screws and then it goes forward and down to remove?
I also found an reddit post that went over this took 11 months ago
https://www.reddit.com/r/ram_trucks/comments/10lf0qw Someone even said "If the wind noise goes away when the recirculation is off, then search for this case number S2224000010"

This picture is for 2011 to 2018 but I think it's the same on 5th gen
1702936484068.png

This is the nwe seal kit I believe
1702936551441.png

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
@Cbty2050
Could you please grace us with a service manual or instructions on how to replace the "air inlet housing" or preform star case #: S2224000010?
I'm wondering if the proper method is to remove the lower and upper gloveboxes to get access, or if more is required to remove to access both seals?

I would rather spend the $60 on the seal kit 68396044AB then fight with a dealership again after I was refused at 2 differnet dealerships the first month I had my truck to have the problem looked at because "noise is normal".

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Cbty2050
Could you please grace us with a service manual or instructions on how to replace the "air inlet housing" or preform star case #: S2224000010?
I'm wondering if the proper method is to remove the lower and upper gloveboxes to get access, or if more is required to remove to access both seals?

I would rather spend the $60 on the seal kit 68396044AB then fight with a dealership again after I was refused at 2 differnet dealerships the first month I had my truck to have the problem looked at because "noise is normal".
I removed the dash to remove the inlet housing.

Attachments

• S2224000010.pdf
    209.7 KB · Views: 32
  • INLETHOUSING.pdf
    447.7 KB · Views: 23

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I removed the dash to remove the inlet housing.
Thanks for the documents.

Rats thats what I thought about the dash because it's up against the front firewall I bet.

Is there an "easy" way to get the dash apart, or is it all 1 piece both sides?
I don't think I ever took a full dash off before.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the documents.

Rats thats what I thought about the dash because it's up against the front firewall I bet.

Is there an "easy" way to get the dash apart, or is it all 1 piece both sides?
I don't think I ever took a full dash off before.
It comes out as an assembly. You can leave the column bolted up. Just unbolt the steering shaft under underhood. Remove cowl/wipers to get to bolts under there. Put some fender covers/moving blankets on the front seats and lay the dash on the seats.

Users who are viewing this thread