5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Rebel w/ Harman Kardon Stereo!

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Unfortunately settings aren't going to make a major change as they are all subtle. If yours isn't loud in the middle teens then you have an amp issue. I would recommend escalating your problem to @RamCares

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There nothing wrong with the forum. There is something wrong with your system, there should be no need to crank it up close to 30 unless you want to go deaf. At mid teens in my truck you could never have a conversation with your passengers as it would be a screaming match.

It’ll be hard to convince any dealer tech that something is wrong if it sounds fine to them and there are no updates, hopefully you can get it figured out because once you do I don’t think you’ll want anymore bass.

Unless of course your looking for bass levels that’ll rattle your teeth out which won’t be possible from the 10” sub included with the HK system.

Are you playing your music over Bluetooth or CarPlay?

RHeller1

Reaction score
volume at 28? wow! I like loud, but that is insane loud with the HK. I mean 22 is tops for me. I also believe the system drops frequencies at certain volumes to protect the speakers. I had the alpine in my previous Ram and now with the HK. I dont hear much difference in bass, but the clarity is much better in the HK. I think there is something going on with your system as I dont believe listening at 28+ could be enjoyable..but ya never know

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
lol maybe I need to take my volume down a notch haha. I truly love my music loud. I listen to hard rock, metal, and like I said earlier some hip hop. My volume is usually high at 28 and above and maybe this system isn't built for that. See I believe if you all add a little more info to your opinion I think it would make much more sense as to what kind of person this system was built for. I believe the Alpine was built for a younger generation and the HK an older just based on your reply. I'd love to see some more what you all listen to and how loud you like your music.
You definitely need a system update. I normally set mine between 13-17 windows up and jamming. 22-24 to rock out with sunroof and rear window open cruising down the highway at 80 MPH. If you need to crank it to 28, something is not right.

HeavyMetalHauler

Reaction score
I have the HK system in my 2021 1500 Sport and I love it. Crisp, nice bass, overall sounds great.

That being said, I do notice a couple of weird happenings. For one, sometimes when using Bluetooth or Sirius, it’s almost like the speakers sound dead - and it requires you to turn it up to 20 just to hear anything nicely. But then I plug my iPhone in and use CarPlay, and all of a sudden the audio is strong, crisp and super clear with the sub booming.

I’m not sure if it has to do with wireless vs wired, and it doesn’t happen every time, but occasionally the truck will do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have the HK system in my 2021 1500 Sport and I love it. Crisp, nice bass, overall sounds great.

That being said, I do notice a couple of weird happenings. For one, sometimes when using Bluetooth or Sirius, it’s almost like the speakers sound dead - and it requires you to turn it up to 20 just to hear anything nicely. But then I plug my iPhone in and use CarPlay, and all of a sudden the audio is strong, crisp and super clear with the sub booming.

I’m not sure if it has to do with wireless vs wired, and it doesn’t happen every time, but occasionally the truck will do that.
Not normal

milks669

Reaction score
There nothing wrong with the forum. There is something wrong with your system, there should be no need to crank it up close to 30 unless you want to go deaf. At mid teens in my truck you could never have a conversation with your passengers as it would be a screaming match.

It’ll be hard to convince any dealer tech that something is wrong if it sounds fine to them and there are no updates, hopefully you can get it figured out because once you do I don’t think you’ll want anymore bass.

Unless of course your looking for bass levels that’ll rattle your teeth out which won’t be possible from the 10” sub included with the HK system.

Carplay!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't use my phone to listen to music. But, could the volume on the phone also control the output level to the radio like it does for headphones? Maybe the phone volume needs adjusting :unsure:

RJS

Reaction score
I use Android Auto on my 19 Laramie with the 12" HK and occasionally when I plug it in the radio and phone seem to not agree on volume control and you just can't get the normal volume control to high levels. I just unplug the cable and plug it back in and the sound and volume control are excellent.

IIWY, I'd try that and also see if your cable is causing issues which has been noted in the past. My system is so good on Amazon HD music, I'll take the truck for a spin just to listen to music on the system. Volumes over 19 are usually way more than my old ears want to listen too.

Venom700

Reaction score
I’m far from an expert on car stereo installs, but is anyone actually gonna help the OP with his question?

There is a thread for an ANC bypass harness, and I don’t know enough about installs to make anymore recommendations. Here’s the link to the bypass: https://lljcustoms.com/store/ols/products/2019-ram-anc-bypass

So many threads gets hijacked into other topics/opinions, we don’t always help each other out. It’s like those who ask for recommendations on certain types of street tires and then every single response is about upgrading to massive AT tires.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes the sub is working and yes I've played with the controls, I wouldn't go as far as to call it a equalizer. It should have a separate Sub control if you ask me, but that's just an opinion. Again I've owned both systems and I can appreciate when you say it's more of a crisp sound than the Alpine, but it's missing bass. If you have been in both vehicles, you'd know what I'm talking about. When I owned the Alpine, I never once thought, dam I need to replace this. The stereo works, the bass works, it's just not enough for me. Some recordings sound better than others is also what I'd say. But my over all report on this Harman Kardon system would be stick to the Alpine.
I agree that there should be a separate sub control. But in case you didn't read what you quoted me as saying, I currently have a truck with the Alpine system and a truck with the HK system. And I have compared them sitting in my garage, playing the same music with the same source. The HK system is superior to the Alpine in my trucks. I agree with others who have said there appears to be something wrong with your system.

milks669

Reaction score
I don't use my phone to listen to music. But, could the volume on the phone also control the output level to the radio like it does for headphones? Maybe the phone volume needs adjusting :unsure:
Possibly, I will look into this thought. You could possibly be right. Thanks man.

milks669

Reaction score
I use Android Auto on my 19 Laramie with the 12" HK and occasionally when I plug it in the radio and phone seem to not agree on volume control and you just can't get the normal volume control to high levels. I just unplug the cable and plug it back in and the sound and volume control are excellent.

IIWY, I'd try that and also see if your cable is causing issues which has been noted in the past. My system is so good on Amazon HD music, I'll take the truck for a spin just to listen to music on the system. Volumes over 19 are usually way more than my old ears want to listen too.
Ya I think you might have hit the nail on the spot to my problem. I'll try and play around with this and report back. Thanks very much for the reply.
I agree that there should be a separate sub control. But in case you didn't read what you quoted me as saying, I currently have a truck with the Alpine system and a truck with the HK system. And I have compared them sitting in my garage, playing the same music with the same source. The HK system is superior to the Alpine in my trucks. I agree with others who have said there appears to be something wrong with your system.
I had both the Alpine and now the HK. I agree that the Harman Kardon sound good. I just don't hear much bass man. In the Alpine that's all the system is Bass. Lol. Would you agree?

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score

This is actually a good set point when you say volume in the mid teens does not allow talking among passengers. Everyone can relate to this as opposed to "I listen at X volume and it's loud/quiet."

With my phone on Android Auto (can't control volume independently on phone from truck), a conversation with my wife in the passenger seat is not possible if the volume is at 15 unless we're yelling at each other. I listen at 15-22 depending on if the windows are up or down, but 28 would be concert-level loud to my ears.

If you can have a normal conversation at 15-20 playing through XM or FM then there's something wrong with your system. I know those two options aren't the best "sound quality", but volume level is basically equal, and everyone has those options right off the bat. If it's a phone you can't isolate the issue as well as if he and I both listen to the same XM station, like Octane.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I do think his phone volume may be the issue. Crank the phone volume up to high when listening to music on the phone and then plug it into the truck and adjust the volume up to high and see if that effects the volume coming through the radio.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do think his phone volume may be the issue. Crank the phone volume up to high when listening to music on the phone and then plug it into the truck and adjust the volume up to high and see if that effects the volume coming through the radio.
If CarPlay lets you do this, then set the phone volume to 1 or 2 notches below max. If you set it to max it'll distort badly.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had both the Alpine and now the HK. I agree that the Harman Kardon sound good. I just don't hear much bass man. In the Alpine that's all the system is Bass. Lol. Would you agree?
I think the HK has cleaner bass. The Alpine system does have bass, but I don't think that's all that system is. But then again, maybe my 57 year old ears aren't what they used to be LOL. To me, the HK system sounds much better than the Alpine system.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
If CarPlay lets you do this, then set the phone volume to 1 or 2 notches below max. If you set it to max it'll distort badly.
My suggestion was only to test to ensure this is a potential resolution. If it works, you certainly don't want the phone volume at 100%

milks669

Reaction score
Boys, I finally found the problem and honestly, it's thanks to all you. This is the first forum I've ever joined in my life and I'm sold. You all are very welcoming and genuinely want to solve each others issues. Best thing I've done in awhile. To my problem.

So as I said earlier in this post that I mainly download my music to my iphone 8 plus and then plug my phone into the truck and play the music through Carplay. One of you guys hinted to my volume level on my phone which led me to look into the phone's settings. Apple phones have a setting in the music folder called "Soundcheck". What it does is automatically adjusts your playback volume based on how loud the recording was and makes every song you listen to at the same volume. Obviously that setting was on. Turned it off and immediately the sound was loud with volume at 15-17. I would like to thank all of you for your help. Thanks man.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Boys, I finally found the problem and honestly, it's thanks to all you. This is the first forum I've ever joined in my life and I'm sold. You all are very welcoming and genuinely want to solve each others issues. Best thing I've done in awhile. To my problem.

So as I said earlier in this post that I mainly download my music to my iphone 8 plus and then plug my phone into the truck and play the music through Carplay. One of you guys hinted to my volume level on my phone which led me to look into the phone's settings. Apple phones have a setting in the music folder called "Soundcheck". What it does is automatically adjusts your playback volume based on how loud the recording was and makes every song you listen to at the same volume. Obviously that setting was on. Turned it off and immediately the sound was loud with volume at 15-17. I would like to thank all of you for your help. Thanks man.
You are very welcome and happy that I directed you to an area that resolved your issue. I thought that may be the case and glad it all turned out OK :)

Users who are viewing this thread