5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 RAM 1500 Trailer Suggestions?

jsxtreme01

Reaction score
Perfect. Waiting to look at another trailer today. This buying experience is nuts! But, I definitely want to get the best for us and the truck.

jsxtreme01

Reaction score
Was able to hit the CAT scale with my family. The truck was full of gas and we had the normal items we take with the kids (car seats, diaper bag, food/snacks/electronics, etc). I got 1060 left, minus a 100 for the hitch, allows me 960 for loaded tongue and other miscellaneous items in truck if necessary before hitting the 7100. The trailer inventory in Northern California sucks and we may get pushed out till later in the summer/fall if we're lucky! Grab those trailers if you can!

Attachments

• PXL_20210430_175935685.jpg
    PXL_20210430_175935685.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 30

834k3r

Reaction score
I am going to say the 12% for the tongue weight is probably the two propane tanks full, along with the battery. Any more cargo in front of the axel will bump me to the 14 to 15% range?

You guys have given me great advice and are definitely pushing me towards getting the truck. Now knowing the safe weight max is 6500 fully loaded, I can look at possibly other trailers. I can only hope the door sticker is above the 1384 and then i'll be playing with house money. Nothing wrong with doing calculations on the worst case scenario.

Once the truck gets in, I confirm what the tires are and will look into the XL. I'll search the forum for WDH recommendations and go from there. Thank you guys again.
FWIW, I run a Fastway e2 WDH with round bars (https://www.fastwaytrailer.com/e2-hitch). They're fantastic and so easy to set up.

Reaction score
So I did read everything that was previously posted, granted it was over two days, but I am still confused. My wife really likes the Grand Design 1625597325992.png

I like the 265bh
1625597368000.png

Now from what I've read according to the charts, I should be fine with either of these. I have a 2020 1500, crew, 4x4 with the 5'6 box, 3.92. But after reading the posts it seems that both of these would not work. What are yall's thoughts?

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I did read everything that was previously posted, granted it was over two days, but I am still confused. My wife really likes the Grand Design View attachment 98991

I like the 265bh
View attachment 98992

Now from what I've read according to the charts, I should be fine with either of these. I have a 2020 1500, crew, 4x4 with the 5'6 box, 3.92. But after reading the posts it seems that both of these would not work. What are yall's thoughts?

Skip the 321BH, 37 feet long is too much

massram21

Reaction score
Hello everyone.,

I am looking to purchase a 21 RAM 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4 6'4 Box BTS edition. It has the 5.7 eTorque, 3.92 axle and the trailer tow group packaging. My wife and I are looking to purchase a travel trailer to hopefully match this truck. I am a noob when it comes to travel trailers and figured you guys might be able to guide me. I have read numerous threads here and have a good understanding to not go over the payload of the truck. I know the truck is more than capable with the towing capacity. The truck is still in transit, so I have not seen the sticker on the door. Going off the RAM website (by VIN), it states its payload is 1,384. On the dealer website, it lists the payload as 1,660 and on the tow sheet it is 1,800. My first question is, without seeing the sticker in person, which number can I safely assume is the most accurate? I am going nuts trying to figure this out!

For background, it is myself, my wife and two kids (2.5, 10 months) that will be using the trailer. My second question is, what is the safest dry weight/tongue weight/GVWR that I should be aiming for? I absolutely will be using a WDH with it and have a hook up on air suspension if needed. What do you guys suggest? We have looked at the Keystone Bullet 243BHS (5,036 Dry, 1,464 Cargo, 615 hitch). Is this trailer safely doable with the above truck? I have yet to buy this truck and don't want to, if I cant tow that trailer or something similar. Thank you in advance. My brain is fried and looking for a pro to help me make a decision!

Redfour5

Reaction score
Hello everyone.,

I am looking to purchase a 21 RAM 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4 6'4 Box BTS edition. It has the 5.7 eTorque, 3.92 axle and the trailer tow group packaging. My wife and I are looking to purchase a travel trailer to hopefully match this truck. I am a noob when it comes to travel trailers and figured you guys might be able to guide me. I have read numerous threads here and have a good understanding to not go over the payload of the truck. I know the truck is more than capable with the towing capacity. The truck is still in transit, so I have not seen the sticker on the door. Going off the RAM website (by VIN), it states its payload is 1,384. On the dealer website, it lists the payload as 1,660 and on the tow sheet it is 1,800. My first question is, without seeing the sticker in person, which number can I safely assume is the most accurate? I am going nuts trying to figure this out!

For background, it is myself, my wife and two kids (2.5, 10 months) that will be using the trailer. My second question is, what is the safest dry weight/tongue weight/GVWR that I should be aiming for? I absolutely will be using a WDH with it and have a hook up on air suspension if needed. What do you guys suggest? We have looked at the Keystone Bullet 243BHS (5,036 Dry, 1,464 Cargo, 615 hitch). Is this trailer safely doable with the above truck? I have yet to buy this truck and don't want to, if I cant tow that trailer or something similar. Thank you in advance. My brain is fried and looking for a pro to help me make a decision!
Look at an Aspen Trail 2150 bhswe. Two full bunks,

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Look at an Aspen Trail 2150 bhswe. Two full bunks
in that line, look at the 2340 - I have the Mesa Ridge version of that floor plan, and love it...(big plus: the doors that close off the master bedroom)

Last edited:

Redfour5

Reaction score
in that line, look at the 2340 - I have the Mesa Ridge version of that floor plan, and love it...(big plus: the doors that close of the master bedroom)
I have the 2340 aspen trail and agree.

Reactions: cj7

Builderdude

Reaction score
We have been looking at TT the last month also. As a data point for others, my 2021 BTS (4WD, etorque, 5'7"box) has a payload capacity of 1495. With the possibility of in-laws joining us and a WD hitch, I figure we have about 800lbs available. I am looking at the Imagine 2250RK with a trifold sofa. Unloaded hitch weight of 515lbs and 27'11" length. I have started to look at this site (https://www.engineersedge.com/calculators/trailer-weight-balance.htm) to see how different weights across the trailer affect the tongue weight. Outside of a few of you listing cargo at 1000lbs, I have no idea what we would end up with loaded. But at 1000lbs and 12%, even this trailer is on the edge.

Reactions: cj7

Builderdude

Reaction score
I am wondering why the hitch weight on a 5500 lbs trailer is listed at 515lbs. That's 9.3% which runs counter to the 10-15% rule. I suppose it may be the hitch weight without batteries and propane tanks.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You should be fine with that trailer. Be aware, the 515# TW is marketing BS, you’ll wind up with around 700#. With a good WDH, that will be a sweet rig (GD knows how to do an nice interior!). Go enjoy it, and don’t loose sleep over those numbers...

Redfour5

Reaction score
You should be fine with that trailer. Be aware, the 515# TW is marketing BS, you’ll wind up with around 700#. With a good WDH, that will be a sweet rig (GD knows how to do an nice interior!). Go enjoy it, and don’t loose sleep over those numbers...
Hitch weights are without batteries, propane tanks and stuff in the front storage area.

20 Lb propane tank 37 lbs full
30 lb propane tank 55 lbs full
Group 24 battery 45 lbs.

Do the math assume full tanks when doing the math and add this to your tongue weight from the factory. Subtract from your payload....

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hitch weights are without batteries, propane tanks and stuff in the front storage area.

20 Lb propane tank 37 lbs full
30 lb propane tank 55 lbs full
Group 24 battery 45 lbs.

Do the math assume full tanks when doing the math and add this to your tongue weight from the factory. Subtract from your payload....

To make matters more confusing dry hitch weights typically include the propane tanks....but the actual propane gas.

So 17 lbs for an empty tank is included but not the 20 lbs of propane gas

Redfour5

Reaction score
To make matters more confusing dry hitch weights typically include the propane tanks....but the actual propane gas.

So 17 lbs for an empty tank is included but not the 20 lbs of propane gas

Oh, great... But where did you get that? Not saying it isn't so, but is there anything written to support that? I was told they get the numbers they post "generally" as dry tongue weights by doing an average of a batch of initial builds right off the lines...before anything...

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh, great... But where did you get that? Not saying it isn't so, but is there anything written to support that? I was told they get the numbers they post "generally" as dry tongue weights by doing an average of a batch of initial builds right off the lines...before anything...
Here’s just one example....

The weights on the RV label are accurate for that specific unit, on the day it left the factory. The brochure/website numbers are marketing....

W9MCP

Reaction score
We have been looking at TT the last month also. As a data point for others, my 2021 BTS (4WD, etorque, 5'7"box) has a payload capacity of 1495. With the possibility of in-laws joining us and a WD hitch, I figure we have about 800lbs available. I am looking at the Imagine 2250RK with a trifold sofa. Unloaded hitch weight of 515lbs and 27'11" length. I have started to look at this site (https://www.engineersedge.com/calculators/trailer-weight-balance.htm) to see how different weights across the trailer affect the tongue weight. Outside of a few of you listing cargo at 1000lbs, I have no idea what we would end up with loaded. But at 1000lbs and 12%, even this trailer is on the edge.
Might need to hurry on the 2250rk - it has been discontinued, sadly.

Users who are viewing this thread