5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Ram 1500 Limited, transmission issues.

Jackob2545

Reaction score
Just putting this out there for more references. I just had the same issue crop up on my 2021 1500 BTS 5.7 Etorque 3.92. driving home from some running around in the city, the truck had couple hard shifts and then through a check engine light with a service transmission notice. I then noticed the truck was stuck in 5th gear not shifting up or down. The dealer I bought the truck from is about 40 miles away and Chrysler wasn't willing to tow the truck to them under my warranty. I am having it towed to my closest local dealer to hopefully get resolved.

Really disheartening that a brand new truck with with under 3k on the clock is having a transmission issue. hopefully the dealer and Chrysler can make this right as seamlessly as possible.

Any feedback on whether your issue was resolved and what actually happened? @cdn.tbird

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
My tranny has been silky smooth. 30 months and 16900 miles with zero issues.
Give them a chance to troubleshoot. It may be something minor.

Jackob2545

Reaction score
Oh I have faith it will get handled, no reason it wouldn’t. So far all parties have been very accommodating and active to help. When the first representative asked for a $150 tow fee out of pocket I was a little frustrated but was able to get some clarification and have everything handled this afternoon. Dealer has it and hopefully will have some answers and resolution soon!

Still tough seeing your two month old truck get hauled away on a flat bed because the tranny went belly up haha.

Cudapower

Reaction score
I ordered a 2019 Laramie. It now has 38,000 miles on it and it has been flawless. Zero issues.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Making a brazen point here, of all the issues I hear about transmission problems, the ZF designed and Chrysler built 8Hp-series is about the most solid and reliable transmissions out there. Are there occasional problems. Yes, It's a production unit. But as far as I know most problems are NOT related to the mechanicals, but to TCM or wiring issues. Occasionally a valve body.

I would trust an 8HP-series over anything, including the much fawned after Allison.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045501 miles.

cdn.tbird

Reaction score
Any feedback on whether your issue was resolved and what actually happened? @cdn.tbird

Hey Jackob2545,
My comment really was about how different the experience dealing with FCA USA seems to be vs FCA Canada. The problem that I was having wasn't tranny related, but at the end of the day the dealership did step up and make things right.

Boston

Reaction score
Making a brazen point here, of all the issues I hear about transmission problems, the ZF designed and Chrysler built 8Hp-series is about the most solid and reliable transmissions out there. Are there occasional problems. Yes, It's a production unit. But as far as I know most problems are NOT related to the mechanicals, but to TCM or wiring issues. Occasionally a valve body.

I would trust an 8HP-series over anything, including the much fawned after Allison.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045501 miles.

I always thought that just the 850 gearbox was Chrysler built under license ZF and all the 8hp boxes came directly from ZF’s factory in SC?
Wrong?

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I always thought that just the 850 gearbox was Chrysler built under license ZF and all the 8hp boxes came directly from ZF’s factory in SC?
Wrong?

Correct. Chrysler is only licensed to build the 8HP45 (845RE) and now 8HP50 (850RE).

FCA purchases the 8HP70/75/90/95 units from ZF who makes them in both the US (SC) and Germany

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wrong?
No, you're correct. My post led to some confusion. As stated, the 8HP70, 8HP75, 8HP90s are made by ZF in South Gate, SC. Those will be marked "Made in USA" causing some to believe they were made by Chrysler.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045540 miles.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, you're correct. My post led to some confusion. As stated, the 8HP70, 8HP75, 8HP90s are made by ZF in South Gate, SC. Those will be marked "Made in USA" causing some to believe they were made by Chrysler.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045540 miles.

Not all ZF’s are made in the US. Some are sourced from their Germany plant. Every 8HP90/95 and some 8HP70’s are sourced from overseas

AFCB554A-FC61-4FBF-9AA7-D0383151D257.png 7C01DED0-79D4-4533-A943-CD9829D68F11.png

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not all ZF’s are made in the US. Some are sourced from their Germany plant. Every 8HP90/95 and some 8HP70’s are sourced from overseas

View attachment 80665 View attachment 80666
ZF 8HP-series are indeed made in the United States. See reference document enclosed.

Regards,
Dusty

Attachments

• img106.jpg
    img106.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 54

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ZF 8HP-series are indeed made in the United States. See reference document enclosed.

Regards,
Dusty

You didn’t read closely enough. I said “Not all ZF’s are made in the US, some are sourced from Germany”

FCA gets some 8HP70’s from ZF’s US plant and some from ZF’s Germany plant.

Every 8HP90/95 I’ve seen has only come from Germany. Every 8HP75 I’ve seen has only been from the US.

What gets build where, is a mixed bag.

cdn_cowboy

Reaction score
Oh how wonderful it must be to have a head office that actually cares. FCA Canada treats us as nothing more than a cash cow. No support whatsoever and I've even had a "Customer Care" :p rep hang up on me for no reason.
Yep I second this!!

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just putting this out there for more references. I just had the same issue crop up on my 2021 1500 BTS 5.7 Etorque 3.92. driving home from some running around in the city, the truck had couple hard shifts and then through a check engine light with a service transmission notice. I then noticed the truck was stuck in 5th gear not shifting up or down. The dealer I bought the truck from is about 40 miles away and Chrysler wasn't willing to tow the truck to them under my warranty. I am having it towed to my closest local dealer to hopefully get resolved.

Really disheartening that a brand new truck with with under 3k on the clock is having a transmission issue. hopefully the dealer and Chrysler can make this right as seamlessly as possible.

Hi @Jackob2545, we are incredibly sorry to hear about your early transmission concerns. We would like to ensure that your vehicle repair experience is a smooth one - please send our team a private message with your VIN and mileage for additional support throughout your dealer services. Thank you!

Kathryn
Ram Cares

Velk22

Reaction score

Got the same engine and rear end with 1100 miles on it. Service trans came on yesterday. I’ll be dropping it off tomorrow. Very unhappy after I just got rid of my 2016 eco diesel that blew up the intake out of warranty after the egr stuck open and melted it. Lost money on that trade due to number of recalls. Clearly I thought it would be better. We’ll see what happens next. Super excited.

Jackob2545

Reaction score
@RamCares Hi, I have sent a private message with details as requested. I have a case file open with Chrysler which is included.

Got word back from the dealer today after the truck went into diagnostics. Was told there was metal in the transmission pan and that there was a catastrophic internal failure. transmission will have to be replaced. no word back yet after being submitted to Chrysler for the warranty service. My wife is in the industry and called her contact with Chrysler to check availability on the transmissions and was told it is not good. no projected ETA at this time.

Now I'm without my brand new truck, no answer on resolution and when it will happen and to top it off my payments are supposed to start this month. Any feedback from those who have gone through major service and how to approach Chrysler about some retribution here? It just doesn't feel right paying full price for a brand new truck that is already going to have major components swapped. I feel like their should be some type of kick back to make this right, or ultimately replace the vehicle.

Thanks!

vjcsteve

Reaction score
Hey @Jackob2545, any word on your transmission?

Mine failed at 235 miles and I have the same questions as you. I didn't by my 2021 Rebel at the local dealership that's 3 miles from my house because no other dealers would trade with them so I had to purchase from a dealer 75 miles away. Since I couldn't have the truck towed to the dealer I purchased it from I feel like the local dealership isn't making it a priority. It's been sitting there for a week and they keep telling me they haven't heard anything (I have to keep calling them because they never call me back). I talked with @RamCares and was told they reached out to the local dealership and haven't received a response back so I don't have much hope of getting my truck back before I make the first payment.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey @Jackob2545, any word on your transmission?

Mine failed at 235 miles and I have the same questions as you. I didn't by my 2021 Rebel at the local dealership that's 3 miles from my house because no other dealers would trade with them so I had to purchase from a dealer 75 miles away. Since I couldn't have the truck towed to the dealer I purchased it from I feel like the local dealership isn't making it a priority. It's been sitting there for a week and they keep telling me they haven't heard anything (I have to keep calling them because they never call me back). I talked with @RamCares and was told they reached out to the local dealership and haven't received a response back so I don't have much hope of getting my truck back before I make the first payment.

Hey @vjcsteve --

I'm sorry to hear about the experience you had with your previous Customer Care representative. However, I'd like to look into this further. Please send our @RamCares team a private message at your earliest convenience. Thanks!

Courtney
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/