5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Limited with Transmission slam when ecostart goes off and then back on

ScottyD

Reaction score
I bought a 2021 Limited last month (Mar 21). When the eco start feature turns the engine off at a stop light/sign etc and then turns back on the transmission actually jerks the truck hard. It wants to throw me into the vehicle in front of me. It is worse at various times. Have close to 2500 miles on the truck and it is not "adapting" to my driving. It seems to be getting stronger. Anyone else experiencing the "jolt" as I call it?

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Nah.... mine is so smooth most people don’t even notice it activating or shutting down.

pcolaram1500

Reaction score
I just warned my wife about that last night. My truck only has 300 miles, brand new. If you don’t have the brakes firmly planted , the truck will lurch forward when the autostart kicks in at a redlight.

Last edited:

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it restarts at a light while you are still sitting there it can catch you off guard if you're on the brake very lightly. But it shouldn't really be jolting you forward that hard. Mine is so smooth most of the time I have to actually look down to see that it shut off.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I bought a 2021 Limited last month (Mar 21). When the eco start feature turns the engine off at a stop light/sign etc and then turns back on the transmission actually jerks the truck hard. It wants to throw me into the vehicle in front of me. It is worse at various times. Have close to 2500 miles on the truck and it is not "adapting" to my driving. It seems to be getting stronger. Anyone else experiencing the "jolt" as I call it?

I just warned my wife about that last night. My truck only has 300 miles, brand new. If you don’t have the brakes firmly planted , the truck will lurch forward when the autostart kicks in at a redlight.
Hello @ScottyD and @pcolaram1500
We certainly can understand how this would be a concern. We recommend addressing this further with your dealer for a proper diagnosis of what you are experiencing. Feel free to send us a private message with your VIN should you require additional support during that process-- we are happy to help!

Kathryn
Ram Cares

CogitoErgoLevo

Reaction score
How much forward is your truck moving when you let go of the brake (and no pressure on the gas pedal) and etorque kicks in?
My truck feels like it moves forward about a foot or so when I let go of the brake pedal with no gas and etorque kicks in.
I have about 3k miles on mine and it feels like etorque is stronger when the engine not warmed up
The way you are describing feels like it works the way it is supposed to. You get 130lbft for the first half tire rotation as soon as you let go of the brake pedal.
See if you can test drive another truck with etorque to compare.

pcolaram1500

Reaction score
When auto start kicks in, it seems like it would keep going unless you did put your brakes on. You're sitting at a light all relaxed, your engine has auto stopped, then all of a sudden the engine starts, no gas given. If you didn't have your foot firmly on the brake it would continue until slamming into something I guess. Lesson is, always expect the engine to auto start, and treat the brakes as if the engine didn't have auto stop/start. I will say, after putting another 500 miles on the truck this weekend, the auto start doesn't seem as abrupt. Either that, or I got used to the feel. I have two other vehicles with auto stop/start, they don't budge when auto start kicks in.

FDSMFA

Reaction score
I am having the same issue as OP. Truck is currently in shop and dealer is not aware of the issue, so I am kinda a glad someone else has had the same experience. 2021 Limited bought in May, has 900 miles on it. The "Lerch" issue happened on day 1 and this is my first eToruque so I thought maybe this is normal. I took the truck in for some followup add-ons and was put in a 2021 BigHorn and it did not have the same issue, so this tells me there must be something wrong with my truck. The Lerch happens when the bypass engages and disengages almost like the engine is not able to handle the torque of changing over to/from the eToruque motor. The best way to describe the feeling is comparable to older column shift cars when you drop from N to D and maybe have a high idle and the transmission gears engage/catch so you feel a clunk and the car lerches fwd. Any ideas/help would be appreciated. Since the dealer does not know, off to the web and this form to find my own answers... Thanks.

U

User_3336

What is this "eco start feature" you are referring to?

66Fuelie

Reaction score
According to the Ram eTorque engineer the eTorque actually does the first half rotation of the tire on restart. It is the second point in the video below.
eTorque video

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I also noticed this since day one but I really just thought it was normal for the etorque? I’d prefer if the truck didn’t do it but I’m used to it. Bigger tires slows it down a little lol

U

User_3336

I also noticed this since day one but I really just thought it was normal for the etorque? I’d prefer if the truck didn’t do it but I’m used to it. Bigger tires slows it down a little lol
Hit the "auto/stop start button", verify the light indicator is on, and it will stop.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
You said you didn't like etorque. if you have auto/stop start on, then etorque's gonna kick in upon restart.
I’m aware of that. It’s just unfortunate they couldn’t design it to where the etorque kicked in when you actually hit the gas or something. The way it lunges forward once you let go of the brakes just seems like a poor design.

Users who are viewing this thread