5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Limited 1500 weak Lane Keep Assist

majorkrager

Reaction score
I have a 2021 RAM 1500 Limited. It has the weakest lane keep assist I have ever experienced. It is effectively useless. It rarely detects the lane markings and is super weak in correcting. My wife's 21 Hyundai Palisade LKA keeps it centered perfectly in the middle of the lane and is rock solid except during rain or snow. I expect more out of a $70,000 truck!!!

d3sarius

Reaction score
If you are tech savvy, check out comma.ai. There’s a thread in the forum, ad a few members use it for the Ram. It takes a good level of technical skills, though, to install and maintain for now. But it provides even better results than any commercial vehicle, IMHO.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You know my truck has this cool new feature called a steering wheel. When I hold it and pay attention to what the heck I am doing the truck does a great job of staying in the lane or turning and stuff whenever I want it too.

It's a fantastic feature. I am surprised it isn't standard on all vehicles. To me it just seems like a common sense safety feature that no one should be without.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2021 RAM 1500 Limited. It has the weakest lane keep assist I have ever experienced. It is effectively useless. It rarely detects the lane markings and is super weak in correcting. My wife's 21 Hyundai Palisade LKA keeps it centered perfectly in the middle of the lane and is rock solid except during rain or snow. I expect more out of a $70,000 truck!!!
I agree, it sucks. My wife's Kia works way better.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Try this out. It will help improve lane control greatly.

I have. My truck will stay within the lines for one or two adjustments and then just crosses the center line because the control caused it to hit the center line at too great an angle. With the Kia it just keeps you in the middle of the lane, no ping ponging like the Ram.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have. My truck will stay within the lines for one or two adjustments and then just crosses the center line because the control caused it to hit the center line at too great an angle. With the Kia it just keeps you in the middle of the lane, no ping ponging like the Ram.
Huh. I just hold the steering wheel, look at the road in front of me and point it forward. Seems to work fine.

I wonder why yours doesn't work that way.

jastevenson

Reaction score
The Ram’s electronic drivers aids are 1 generation behind the latest from Kia and Hyundai, which are second only to Tesla.

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
The Ram’s electronic drivers aids are 1 generation behind the latest from Kia and Hyundai, which are second only to Tesla.
I turn those features off anyways lol I hate it, almost as much as I hate my truck automatically locking the brakes up randomly on its own. I know I'm weird but I like to have control of the vehicle I'm driving

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

oaviking06

Reaction score
Yea, I was given a rental from Hyundai one time and it was a base model Kona, and it had good lane departure, Yet my 2021 Laramie doesn't. I did mention it to someone one time and they said they HATE lane departure, so I guess to each there own.

Abesosa

Reaction score
Only get worse with any level lift I came to find out. I understand why… just was surprised it gets worse lol. But yes my friends hyndai sonata would even take turns alone haha. Pretty cool little feature

2019 Ram 1500 Limited Granite Crystal 4x4 with Off-Road Group and air ride
20% Cermanic Tint
USA Flag Decal on rear 5th Window
Xpel Door Edge and door handle Protection
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Reaction score
Ram does not have lane centering from the factory. It has Lane Keep Assist. It also is not active under 37 mph. It will also tell you to return your hands to the wheel and disengage after the second time you aren't an active participant in steering in, I'm assuming, a set amount of time.

I've got mine adjusted to where I really like it.

Last edited:

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ram does not have lane centering from the factory. It has Lane Keep Assist. It also is not active under 37 mph.
This 100%. Ram does not advertise their system as lane centering, it is a lane keep assist system. Not saying the Kia/Hyundai system isn't nice, just saying that we're not comparing apples to apples here.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea, I was given a rental from Hyundai one time and it was a base model Kona, and it had good lane departure, Yet my 2021 Laramie doesn't. I did mention it to someone one time and they said they HATE lane departure, so I guess to each there own.
that is one of those features that was made for lazy, stupid people who can't drive correctly. If you need a vibration from your steering wheel to warn you that you are traveling out of your lane, you need to stop driving.

Users who are viewing this thread