5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Limited 1500 weak Lane Keep Assist

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We have STEER to 0MPH working in the 1500's and most HD trucks. The HD trucks will be officially supported
in the next big Open Pilot Release. Heading out on Monday Morning for my Sept. trip to the KR Gathering. I
Have a stop in Detroit on the way out to get the GDE Tune re-flashed on my Truck.

Malodave

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The website crashed yesterday so I guess this never sent

No reason to be so feisty but since you bring it up the price difference between 32GB and 1TB is $500.
The actual 1TB drive is $99 directly from Samsung, they clearly list it on their website as an NVME Samsung 980 comma three devkit | comma shop

The 250GB is also an Samsung 980 per their docs, that is $53 for consumers (not OEMs) to buy. That's a 400% markup if they are charging us $500 for a $100 drive. I work in IT and our hardware margin is around 10-18%, that's like if I sold you a $1000 computer for $5000

As I said I wouldn't care about the video as I would just want it to drive so I wouldn't care about an OLED screen and would prefer a cheaper version just like the old one used to be. I read the Comma.AI 2 was only $1000, the Comma.AI 3 starts at $2000 which is DOUBLE the price of the older unit. Am I still able to buy the older unit? does it work the same? In addition it appears it doesn't come with any way to connect so you also need to spend another $200 for a harness? So we are looking at $2200 for the base unit and 2700 for the 1TB unit?
Are we able to move the videos off of the device somehow? I see it claims to use a subscription called "comma prime" is this required?

It also says "The comma three does not ship preloaded with software capable of controlling your car. Open source software can be installed separately." Is there additional software that costs money? or is the open source software it requires freeware?

To be clear I want to like and possibly get this but unlike the other stuff that OEMs make this doesn't exist in my word, I have never seen how it works, not a commercial or online add for the company as a whole. Maybe I just live under a stone, who knows.

Try this on for size? There's nothing wrong with being cautious especially on a new company. Nowhere did I say it was a bad company, product or anything.
I have been doing some research on the president and the company and I see some concerning things such as when the president of the company canceled the Comma.1 after being reached out from the government.
Would suck if they randomly pulled development again.
Around since '16, so not new.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The articles I read said it can change lanes if you turn on your blinder and "nudge" the wheel.
The articles also say it doesn't look to the left or right so it would just go right into another car if you let it.
Not deal beakers just trying to figure out exactly what's going on. I think this is beta software at best in it's current state. It talks about needing to take over if there is an accident in front of you which makes sense, but on the flip size my trucks speed adaptive cruse control will lock the hell out of the breaks if someone jerks in front of me or slams on the breaks. I'm not sure what systems it is leveraging and what it's doing itself.
Actually, if you have blind spot, it won't drive into another car. the comma is tied into all the trucks safety, ACC and LKAS systems. I even use it when towing my RV and boat. I am at over 8000 miles on it, and use it daily on highway and in town stop and go. And unlike Tecla's so-called self driving(crashing) system, it hasn't driven into a single obstacle yet.

Users who are viewing this thread