5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Laramie Build Opinions

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
Here's a build I'm currently looking at. I'm torn between the 5'7" and 6'4" bed, but this build is with the longer bed. It's also the 4WD Crew Cab. Also torn between the 3.21 and 3.92, but ultimately think the 3.92 will be better for me when I drive up north through the hills. Do you think I'm missing anything or have something in there I shouldn't?

Engine: 5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT Etorque
3.92 Rear Axle Ratio
Ivory White Tri-Coat Pearlcoat
Night Edition
Off Road Group
Laramie Level 2 Equipment Group
Engine Block Heater
Trailer Brake Control
33 Gallon Fuel Tank
Mopar Front & Rear Rubber Floor Mats
Price with Options
$61,865

RJS

Reaction score
I'd add the anti-spin rear end and I have the HK 12" radio in my L2 Laramie which I really like. YMMV

Reverse

Reaction score
I would have liked 6'4" bed, but then truck would not have fit in garage - as it is with the 5'6" bed it barely fits. - Maybe something to consider.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'd add the anti-spin rear end and I have the HK 12" radio in my L2 Laramie which I really like. YMMV
The ORG he wants has the locking rear diff. So he can't have that and the anti-spin. Only way for him to get anti-spin is to remove the ORG.

Looks like a pretty good build PhillyPhan. The only thing I'd add to that is the MFT and possibly the Rambox options. Both are quite useful. We have both on our Limited and I especially like the MFT. About the only time I've opened the tailgate in the conventional way is if I'm hauling sheets of plywood or when I installed the tonneau cover. Otherwise I always open it barn door style. It's a lot easier to load and unload stuff without having to lift it over the tailgate.

Ryancassidy

Reaction score
If you are in AZ? do you need the engine block heater?

Front and Rear Rubber Floormats - Buy these afterwards. If you option with the build, you don't get the carpeted mats with the truck and the rubber ones are cheaper from the dealer after the fact too.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's a build I'm currently looking at. I'm torn between the 5'7" and 6'4" bed, but this build is with the longer bed. It's also the 4WD Crew Cab. Also torn between the 3.21 and 3.92, but ultimately think the 3.92 will be better for me when I drive up north through the hills. Do you think I'm missing anything or have something in there I shouldn't?

3.92 Rear Axle Ratio
Night Edition
Off Road Group
Engine Block Heater
Trailer Brake Control
33 Gallon Fuel Tank
Mopar Front & Rear Rubber Floor Mats
Price with Options
$61,865
This is very similar to my next build - curios why you want an engine block heater for a gas engine? The only time I can see this as useful is if you're in a cold climate and park outside but with access to an outlet so it is warmer when you start up?

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
Thanks for all your input. I added the engine block heater only because I'm building a cabin in Northern Arizona and it gets down to single digits there, so I assumed I would need it for that. If that's not something I'd need in your opinions I would gladly remove it. I'm not sure how I feel about the 12" for the price, still up in the air. My garage currently fits or fit my 2014 Ram 2500 Megacab, so not worried about the 6'4' bed fitting as the truck is about 7" shorter than my Megacab. I had a 2007 Tundra Crewmax and one of the things I hated about that truck was the shorter bed. I always needed more room.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for all your input. I added the engine block heater only because I'm building a cabin in Northern Arizona and it gets down to single digits there, so I assumed I would need it for that. If that's not something I'd need in your opinions I would gladly remove it. I'm not sure how I feel about the 12" for the price, still up in the air. My garage currently fits or fit my 2014 Ram 2500 Megacab, so not worried about the 6'4' bed fitting as the truck is about 7" shorter than my Megacab. I had a 2007 Tundra Crewmax and one of the things I hated about that truck was the shorter bed. I always needed more room.
I Live in MN so winter overnight can be -20 and have never had an engine heater on a gas engine even parking outdoors. It may be nice for quicker heat in the morning but I don't think it is a must have at all if you're looking to save cash.

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
With that said and others opinions I think I'll drop the rubber mats and engine block heater. For $2k extra I just can't jump up to the 12" screen. Can anyone confirm if the ORG option with lift the front end at all. I'm not a fan of the pics I'm seeing with the 22" wheels the night edition comes with and how low the front end looks.

3.92 Rear Axle Ratio
Night Edition
Off Road Group
Trailer Brake Control
33 Gallon Fuel Tank
Price with Options
$61,635

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The ORG lifts the front and the rear 1 inch. Here's my Laramie with the ORG and stock 20 inch wheels...

Block heaters in any engine allow for easier cold starts. The fluids warm up faster, and the defroster starts to do it's job more quickly. You certainly don't need a block heater, but it hurts nothing to have it. I've had them on gas engines and on diesel engines. And I can tell you that I really appreciated having them on cold winter mornings. Of course, it's up to you. But really, what's $95 on a $60k truck. Try buying a comparable one and paying for installation. It will be more than that.

Attachments

• IMG_0207.jpg
    IMG_0207.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0211.jpg
    IMG_0211.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 48

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
The ORG lifts the front and the rear 1 inch. Here's my Laramie with the ORG and stock 20 inch wheels...

Block heaters in any engine allow for easier cold starts. The fluids warm up faster, and the defroster starts to do it's job more quickly. You certainly don't need a block heater, but it hurts nothing to have it. I've had them on gas engines and on diesel engines. And I can tell you that I really appreciated having them on cold winter mornings. Of course, it's up to you. But really, what's $95 on a $60k truck. Try buying a comparable one and paying for installation. It will be more than that.
That looks a lot nicer. Now I feel better. Thanks for the pics.

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
I can't get over how many dealerships ordered these trucks without the 33 gallon fuel tank. I just don't understand why anyone wants to have to fill up every 300 miles. It's a pain in the butt when travelling.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I can't get over how many dealerships ordered these trucks without the 33 gallon fuel tank. I just don't understand why anyone wants to have to fill up every 300 miles. It's a pain in the butt when travelling.
At the very least they should all opt for the zero cost 26 gallon tank. If anyone wants the 23 gallon tank for payload reasons they can always order it. But anyone who is cutting it that close should probably be towing/hauling with an HD instead of a 1500.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice!!! Maybe I'm just having flashbacks to my last gasser, 2007 Tundra, when I only got 300 miles on my 26 gallon tank. That's really good to know
Looking at the many MPG threads on this forum it seems real world MPGs are all over the place and I do think options can make a big difference as well as driving style and gas. I drive a CC 4x4 Big Horn with 3.21 rear and 20" tires. I would say I am a moderately aggressive driver - overall easy on the brakes and acceleration but still like to punch the gas from a stop more than I should. 50/50 highwaycity and 87octane with winter fuel in MN 6 month of the year. Given all that I am averaging 17-18mpgs and have a topper and several hundred pounds of gear in the truck at all times.

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
Well, got my first build quote. MSRP is $61,540. First offer is $52,961 with the $2k in rebates included in that. Almost 14% off MSRP. I'm holding for now. I'm looking for closer to 18%.

Night Edition
Off Road Group
Trailer Brake Control
33 Gallon Fuel Tank
Price with Options
$61,540

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
M2c,

+ MFT ( best option ever)
+ air suspension (2nd best thing since sliced bread)
+ elocker over anti-spin (stock antispin is practically worthless)
+ 33gal (def worth the $)
+ 4WD
- ORG (too much weight, and with air, can go as high as you want)
- 12” (pretty but not necessary)
- trailer brake control (OE stops working at 15mph, lots of really good options that work better and can be nicely integrated)

ymmv

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
M2c,

+ MFT ( best option ever)
+ air suspension (2nd best thing since sliced bread)
+ elocker over anti-spin (stock antispin is practically worthless)
+ 33gal (def worth the $)
+ 4WD
- ORG (too much weight, and with air, can go as high as you want)
- 12” (pretty but not necessary)
- trailer brake control (OE stops working at 15mph, lots of really good options that work better and can be nicely integrated)

ymmv
What do you mean about the factory brake controller not working over 15mph?

Users who are viewing this thread