5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 F-150 - Anyone else going to watch this tonight?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Bud the beds are steel aren’t they on the ram?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Correct. Rest of the body and frame are steel, with some composite pieces on the upper wishbone suspension.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So we have a few Schlitz cans in our trucks as well..

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Everyone has followed Ford to some extent since 2015. The current Silverado has more aluminum than the RAM, hood, tailgate and doors, only the bed, front fenders and roof are steel. The RAM I think had an aluminum hood for a while, the tail gate is new.

More aluminum in bodies, active grill shutters, start/stop, smaller displacement turbo motors (for GM) are things Ford started and has trickled in to other makes.

Just for the sake of argument, I believe they tested the crush strength of truck cabs, and the strongest by a good margin was the aluminum cab of the F150. I had a 2015, and to be honest I would like to have had more aluminum in the RAM. I had zero complaints about my bed in my F150, in fact the plastic rails on my RAM are currently getting crushed by my bed rack system, wasn't an issue on my F150 bed.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Everyone has followed Ford to some extent since 2015. The current Silverado has more aluminum than the RAM, hood, tailgate and doors, only the bed, front fenders and roof are steel. The RAM I think had an aluminum hood for a while, the tail gate is new.

More aluminum in bodies, active grill shutters, start/stop, smaller displacement turbo motors (for GM) are things Ford started and has trickled in to other makes.

Just for the sake of argument, I believe they tested the crush strength of truck cabs, and the strongest by a good margin was the aluminum cab of the F150. I had a 2015, and to be honest I would like to have had more aluminum in the RAM. I had zero complaints about my bed in my F150, in fact the plastic rails on my RAM are currently getting crushed by my bed rack system, wasn't an issue on my F150 bed.
Yep. Agree fully, that’ why I said I’d hope our trucks get full aluminum body, which will raise payload considerably.
And you are correct, the aluminum body on the F150 is very strong. Saw a video where they hit it with a sledge hammer and it barely dented. I’ll try to find it.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I doubt steel would hold up as good as this:

What's more, Ford has gotten the repair cost to the point its now no more expensive than a steel bed. Even if you factor the higher cost of the materials, they constructed them so they are easier to repair than previous steel beds.

The one area where it was more expensive for me to fix was paintless ding repair. They do charge a bit more to take out dings because the aluminum doesn't have a memory like steel. Normally a steel ding would cost me $50 or so, aluminum was about $75.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
It’s so funny about all the Chevy commercials bashing aluminum trucks, and then turn around and do the same. Priceless...

SD Rebel

Reaction score
It’s so funny about all the Chevy commercials bashing aluminum trucks, and then turn around and do the same. Priceless...

Yup, people aren't stupid, they know you don't dump hundreds of pounds of expensive pavers onto a naked bed, who would do that? With a bedliner, that pretty much fixes your problem while you gain the benefits of rust resistance and weight. GM won't however go all aluminum with the bed at least, they painted themselves in a corner there. Though I like the mixed materials strategy, a good balance of costs benefits.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What is cool is that with a 7kwh power source/generator you could use your truck to power your home during a power outage. Just install a transfer switch in the home like you would with a regular generator and you can run some critical circuits during the emergency. Easily could run fridge, tv and a few other things.

ktl5005

Reaction score
Guys not going to lie. I’m not a Ford guy but I think they did a very good job with the new f150. Nice big screen, STANDARD on over 50% of the line, all digital gauge area, lay flat seats, power inverter, the C accent LEDs headlight and dogs are cool, and they definitely stepped up their game on the interior for the upper trims to compete with Ram.
Also, to fully electrify the 3.5 Ecoboost, 700 miles to a tank for a gasser, the number for it are going to be killer. I offense to Ram and I love my Hemi, but the Ecoboost Has the Hemi best in every department (hp, tq, fuel mileage, towing). Ford really stepped up their game.

with that said all this neat stuff is going to come at a Ford price and not as discounted as you could get a ram. I’m think too trim tops 75k msrp. Hell, you could spec an XLT to 60k.

ford really stepped up their game. I wouldnt buy new since it’s a complete redesign, but 1 or 2 year off lease after depreciation hits? Maybe.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
All they did was introduce the first factory spec $100,000 truck! Plus the exterior redesign is a very boring and not daring at all IMO! Very disappointing unveiling overall and This is coming from someone who has owned all fords until just a few months ago when I bought my Ram.
They did that with the F-450 Limited a while back.

Chuck19

Reaction score
They did that with the F-450 Limited a while back.
I should have been more specific, I was referring to a 1/2 ton pickup. I really was a huge Ford fan but I just can’t get behind their unbelievably high prices and this new F-150 will be a record setter!

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like ram has a good chance to steal a few ford loyalists who were waiting for something revolutionary. Now they can spend less and get a better truck with Ram.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I should have been more specific, I was referring to a 1/2 ton pickup. I really was a huge Ford fan but I just can’t get behind their unbelievably high prices and this new F-150 will be a record setter!
Doubt they will be significantly more than a fully optioned RAM. At the end of the day, they will need to also compete on price, so I‘m willing to bet they will be at or slightly more than our top of the line trucks.

Chuck19

Reaction score
Doubt they will be significantly more than a fully optioned RAM. At the end of the day, they will need to also compete on price, so I‘m willing to bet they will be at or slightly more than our top of the line trucks.
That’s not what i found when i was shopping for my new truck. I was coming out of a 2012 Lariat F-250 (bought this new for heavy towing that I do for work which i no longer need to do which is why I sold it) and I also have owned a 2016 F150 Lariat, a 2012 F150 King Ranch, 2008 F150 Lariat, 2003 F150 Harley Davidson Edition, 2003 Mustang SVT Cobra, 2006 Mustang GT Roush Convertible Stage 3, and still own a 2016 Ford Edge Titanium and a 2018 Ford Fusion Platinum. So that background is just to show that i have been a loyal Ford owner and supporter for many years and vehicles. Now when i started shopping for my new (I ended up going used) truck the comparable F150 to Ram 1500 in my area had over a $5000 price difference OTD with the F150 being higher. Plus after I drove the Ram compared to the F150 the ride, fit and finish was hands down better in the Ram and I was embarrassed for Ford how much better the Ram was.

Just wait and see what one of those fully optioned hybrid F150,s go for! I think it will surprise everyone!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They were about $5-7K higher (and less willing to deal) when I optioned out a fully-spec’d Limited and Raptor. For the money, an F-250 would have been a better buy.

I’d be surprised if there’s not a $1-2K uptick on the new models.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
They were about $5-7K higher (and less willing to deal) when I optioned out a fully-spec’d Limited and Raptor. For the money, an F-250 would have been a better buy.

I’d be surprised if there’s not a $1-2K uptick on the new models.
Could be a regional thing.
When I was shopping for my truck two years ago, Fords were massively discounted.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Could be a regional thing.
When I was shopping for my truck two years ago, Fords were massively discounted.
At that time, I was offered a $10K discount, but only on the right truck at the right time. And they weren’t interested in ordering; they only wanted to move trucks on the lot. At the time, GM was preparing to launch their new trucks, and they offered me $14K off a Denali for stepping on the lot. I guess it pays to shop for the truck you want at the end of its run ;)

Users who are viewing this thread