5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 eco diesel gas mileage

Brasswheel

Reaction score
2021 Limited 1500, 321 rear end, Eco diesel , 33 gal tank, 4X4 with lots of extras. Traded 2020 Chevy 1500 RST 4X4 with Duramax engine. Good truck just not enough bells and whistles. Just finished a 4000 Plus miles trip from Texas to California and back. 3300 of it was towing averaged 12 mpg for the entire trip. I checked the fuel mileage each fill up using a calculator that read about 1.3 miles less than thefuel trip. Towing was anywhere from 9.3 to 13 mpg speed 65. Not towing was anywhere from 22 to 30 same 65 mph. After reading many articles comparing the 321 to the 392 gear ratio I was really worried (considered trading it off) about this trip. I'm so glad that I didn't trade there was more than enough power to tackle any incline and maintain speed.

Dirtdoc

Reaction score
Was your duramax the 3.0 or a heavy duty? If 3.0, how does the eco compare to the duramax? Mileage, power?

atvrider

Reaction score
A lot of people have 4x4, and a good amount have the 3.92. Even in 2WD mode, there are some extra moving parts that might rob some efficiency.

Anyone with the RWD 3.21? I'm planning on the 2022 RWD EcoDiesel, 3.21 FD and 33-gal tank.
I just picked up mine from dealer will let u all know what mileage it gets. As u can see it's a 4x2 w/3.21 gears. Will post pictures soon.

tolh13

Reaction score
2022 with 3.21 with the 33 gal tank 2WD and i get mid 26S in mostly city driving in south fl (very flat)

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Did this one recently. It was right after I swapped my 285/50/22 Open Country’s for 275/50/22 michelin defenders.

7AB42895-2DE6-4D84-B241-9B9B37B3D4B3.png

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got back from towing our camper and won't be in the truck for a few days to check this for myself.

At one point, pulling our 25', 5500ish# travel trailer along a pretty flat stretch of highway, the truck went into 8th gear at 65mph and the RPMs was about 1750. I have the 3.92 rear end. Does anyone offhand know what their RPMs are at 65 on flat terrain when not towing (and nothing wind-catching in the bed?) That seemed low to me, but I don't really watch RPMs THAT much to remember what I'm usually at when driving 65.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Just got back from towing our camper and won't be in the truck for a few days to check this for myself.

At one point, pulling our 25', 5500ish# travel trailer along a pretty flat stretch of highway, the truck went into 8th gear at 65mph and the RPMs was about 1750. I have the 3.92 rear end. Does anyone offhand know what their RPMs are at 65 on flat terrain when not towing (and nothing wind-catching in the bed?) That seemed low to me, but I don't really watch RPMs THAT much to remember what I'm usually at when driving 65.

Sounds about right for that speed.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score

When your truck reaches 8th gear the rpm is the same either towing or not, the only difference is that it will take longer to get to 8th gear when towing.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Seems about right.

I assume you're wondering if the 8th gear clutch pack was slipping?

Hofkamp

Reaction score

I have pulled a 15' trailer with my 2021 3.0 and see that RPM as well if I let it go to 8th. , For my own piece of mind I use the shift limiter at 6th gear, seam smooth and not shifting up and down nearly as often.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I assume you're wondering if the 8th gear clutch pack was slipping?

No, I honestly didn't know if 1750rpm was normal when pulling the camper. It seems like I'm around 1950 when not towing and at 70mph. I guess I expected rpms to be higher. It's pretty rare that it goes into 8th when I'm towing our travel trailer, and it usually doesn't stay there long--maybe because we're in some hilly country.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Was your duramax the 3.0 or a heavy duty? If 3.0, how does the eco compare to the duramax? Mileage, power?

On the social media owners groups I've already seen several of the 3.0 D-max trucks on rollback tow trucks. One of them was the guy's trip home from the dealership will less than 100 miles on it. Seems that they have some fairly common serious issues.

No surprise at all for me, I already knew that GM trucks have been hot garbage since the 1988 GMT400 platform. Had the misfortune of being stranded 3 separate times in GM trucks. Will never touch another. But I just thought I'd mention this about the new D-max in case anybody here is really shopping both offerings from Ram and GM.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, I honestly didn't know if 1750rpm was normal when pulling the camper. It seems like I'm around 1950 when not towing and at 70mph. I guess I expected rpms to be higher. It's pretty rare that it goes into 8th when I'm towing our travel trailer, and it usually doesn't stay there long--maybe because we're in some hilly country.

FWIW, at any given speed in any given gear (like 65mph in 8th gear) the engine MUST be at a specific rpm. This is purely mathematical, based on the gear ratios. (Any difference should be transitory, based on torque converter lock up and good clutch packs in the transmission.) Consider the engine to be mechanically linked to your tires at a fixed ratio. (That ratio changes only based on your transmission gear selection.)

So, whether or not you're towing or going on the flats or uphill, in 8th gear at 65mph you engine will be at 1750 rpm. (<- example only: the actual numbers may be different. I did not do the maths.)

The difference is how much FUEL it takes to keep the engine at that rpm. In that regard, the Euro/Canadian method of measuring Liters used per Kilometer would give a better idea of exactly how much more work the engine is doing when towing.

Users who are viewing this thread