5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 eco diesel gas mileage

Donnacrockett

Reaction score
Does anyone have any accurate info on the mpg for the eco Diesel engine ? Ordering a new big horn and trying to see what the fuel efficiency really is

thanks

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If driven conservatively I can manage 26mpg highway in the summer. Maybe a bit better if only doing the speed limit but that isn’t fun.

Wintertime is a bit less, in the 24-25mpg range highway. 18-19mpg combined, remote starts and 4wd bring it down a bit.

Biggest upgrade I saw was when towing compared to my old gas truck. Even get better mileage than the ecoboost when towing a larger enclosed trailer.

Mchurch52

Reaction score
I have 19,000 miles on mine now. With 3.92 rear end I get 23-24 MPG around town and 27-29 pure hwy, depending on temperature/winds. Towing our 6500 lb travel trailer I get 12-14 MPG, again depending on winds and type of terrain (hills vs flat). Speeds over 70 MPH kill highway MPG fast.

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
2020 Limited with 3:92 gears. I am at 37,000 miles and get 23-24 MPG consistantly for my work commute. 150 mile a day work commute at 73MPH for all but 10 miles of my drive that is light city driving conditions. i can get 27-28 MPG on 60mph road trips.

Donnacrockett

Reaction score
If driven conservatively I can manage 26mpg highway in the summer. Maybe a bit better if only doing the speed limit but that isn’t fun.

Wintertime is a bit less, in the 24-25mpg range highway. 18-19mpg combined, remote starts and 4wd bring it down a bit.

Biggest upgrade I saw was when towing compared to my old gas truck. Even get better mileage than the ecoboost when towing a larger enclosed trailer.
How much does your trailer weigh and what mpg do you get towing it?

Donnacrockett

Reaction score
If I go with the 3.21 I understand the mpg will improve but I’m not sure how it would effect my towing a 4000 LB trailer

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How much does your trailer weigh and what mpg do you get towing it?
My trailer is about 1600lb empty and the last time I towed it was around 2500 miles. Loaded in the trailer was a John deer gator, 2 cords of firewood and probably 1000lbs of misc hunting/camping stuff. I’d estimate the total weight around 6000-6500lbs including the trailer weight.

I averaged 18l/100km which is around 13mpg. This is an enclosed v-nose aluminum trailer that is really tall to allow side by sides to fit inside.

My old gmc gas truck averaged 25-26l/100km or 9-9.5mpg with the same trailer and similar load. The tiny fuel tank in that truck meant lots of stops, I could only go about 2.5-3 hours between gas stations.

Donnacrockett

Reaction score
My trailer is about 1600lb empty and the last time I towed it was around 2500 miles. Loaded in the trailer was a John deer gator, 2 cords of firewood and probably 1000lbs of misc hunting/camping stuff. I’d estimate the total weight around 6000-6500lbs including the trailer weight.

I averaged 18l/100km which is around 13mpg. This is an enclosed v-nose aluminum trailer that is really tall to allow side by sides to fit inside.
Thanks for the quick reply 😊

myles

Reaction score
Does anyone have any accurate info on the mpg for the eco Diesel engine ? Ordering a new big horn and trying to see what the fuel efficiency really is

thanks
36k miles, 35" tires, 4x4 and 3.92 gears. I get 21-25 average, its possible to hit the 29+ with stock tires if you are on a long flat highway going 65, but with heavy city I usually get 21, never even been able to get the truck below 20 and I'm not an easy driver.

trailing my 22' boat/6500 pounds, I get around 14-16mpg

its difficult to get the advertised mileage but even the real world mileage is wayyy better than a gas truck. I was getting 12-16 average in my 15' gmc with the 5.3.

Last edited:

SKIPATROLL

Reaction score
If I go with the 3.21 I understand the mpg will improve but I’m not sure how it would effect my towing a 4000 LB trailer
For what it is worth.....Just picked up my 2021 Laramie 1500 4x4 with 22 inch rims with 285/45R22 and 3.21 Drove 90 miles on hwy and got 31 mpg Started up the mountain for 50 miles and to 6000 foot level and average dropped to 25mpg Too new to give any long term accurate info

Rossum

Reaction score
Actual measured consumption since my truck was new in early November:

The dash claims it's a bit higher, but I'm too lazy to go check exactly what Trip B (which has never been reset since new) shows.

This is a 2021 Laramie with stock 18" wheels & tires, 3.21 gears. Primarily highway miles where I consistently set the cruise to 10 over, so most often 80, less often 75. The bed is generally full of stuff, but under a tonneau cover, and there's usually one or two passengers on board as well. No towing, virtually no true city driving, but some suburban and country roads, as well as some dirt roads.

Arth

Reaction score

The dash claims it's a bit higher, but I'm too lazy to go check exactly what Trip B (which has never been reset since new) shows.

This is a 2021 Laramie with stock 18" wheels & tires, 3.21 gears. Primarily highway miles where I consistently set the cruise to 10 over, so most often 80, less often 75. The bed is generally full of stuff, but under a tonneau cover, and there's usually one or two passengers on board as well. No towing, virtually no true city driving, but some suburban and country roads, as well as some dirt roads.

Your mileage is mirroring mine. Your conditions as well. Generally run 80-85. 2021 Limited on stock 20's with the 3.21 gears. Only thing in the back is whatever I've got in my Ramboxes plus the bed cover.

Bought new in October and in the winter I'd say I am averaging 25-26. When it warms up again I imagine I'll climb back up to 27-28 average. Trip computer usually reads 1 mpg higher. Currently at 6700 miles.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am getting about 20-21 around town and on a 750 mile trip I was getting 27.4 MPG.
That is with about 2K miles on the truck. I believe it will increase once the engine
loosens up a little bit. I will also be getting a GDI tune when available.

Malodave

Rossum

Reaction score

I just went out and checked it.

vdKfJmx.jpg

So my truck's estimate is optimistic by about 1.6 MPG, or a bit over 6%.

Average speed, including all idle time, stops at red lights, and low-speed local driving works out to 54.2 MPH.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is coming up on 400,000 combined miles tracked by real owners on Fuelly.com now and 22 MPG is the average for the Gen 3 EcoD.

My personal truck is a year old now, 12,000 miles. I've seen 21 MPG empty, 14 towing a 7x14' enclosed trailer, and <10 towing a 8.5x24' enclosed trailer.

NWRogue

Reaction score
I've found the flat highway sweet spot is 68mph on my truck, can see 31mpg then. averaging around 24-26mpg since i got it in July 20. current tank is 18.9 but i've been mostly short trips due to lock-downs where I live and not feeling well lately, and my foot has been heavier than usual. i need to get out for a long drive soon so i don't plug up the works.

RyanP

Reaction score

thanks
I just completed a cross country move from Washington State to Rhode Island with a detour through Utah (4100 miles total) with 1200 pounds passengers and cargo. When I arrived in RI I showed an average of 28.9MPG on the meter. However, that was impacted by a snow storm on the last day. I was showing 30MPG even when I stopped for the night in Niagra Falls, NY at 3900 miles the night prior. During the mountainous sections I was averaging 24MPG. I actually out performed my wife that was riding convoy with me in our Subaru Outback (25MPG) with a cargo carrier attached. I definitely noticed a 30+ MPG on sections of road that were relatively flat and speeds between 50-65MPH.

Users who are viewing this thread