5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 eco diesel gas mileage

mrfreon

Reaction score
Anyone else noticing a drastic decline in MPG with the winter blend of diesel? During the summer I would get nearly 30 MPG highway and I'm now getting 23 MPG highway. I have no way of knowing if my local fuel station is selling me "winter blend" but I'm assuming they are since it's a Marathon truck stop. I was thinking of putting some fuel in a jar and doing a cloud point test in my deep freezer.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone else noticing a drastic decline in MPG with the winter blend of diesel? During the summer I would get nearly 30 MPG highway and I'm now getting 23 MPG highway. I have no way of knowing if my local fuel station is selling me "winter blend" but I'm assuming they are since it's a Marathon truck stop. I was thinking of putting some fuel in a jar and doing a cloud point test in my deep freezer.
That along with extra idle time really hurts my winter mpg. I can still get close to the same highway mileage, but combined with warm ups and 4wd usage it’s down.

Dirtdoc

Reaction score
Just bought a 21 limited eco with 3.92. have 400 miles on it and average is 24.5. On the highway shows 30 mpg at 70. This is all by the dash so would expect might be a bit high. My 18 hemi longhorn I traded with 42000 miles and 3.21 average was 14.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is why it is called a Lie-O-Meter.

I have a 21 Laramie ECO with 3.21 gears and 3800 miles on it. Best I have
done so far is 27.4 MPG on a 750 mile trip from NH to Newport News VA.
I believe it will go up with the Summer Blend and the Engine loosening up.

On a long down hill, I had the Lie-O-Meter pegged at 99.9 MPG

I will be getting a GDE Tune when available, for more Power, Torque, and Mileage.

Malodave

Last edited:

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have 19,000 miles on mine now. With 3.92 rear end I get 23-24 MPG around town and 27-29 pure hwy, depending on temperature/winds. Towing our 6500 lb travel trailer I get 12-14 MPG, again depending on winds and type of terrain (hills vs flat). Speeds over 70 MPH kill highway MPG fast.
Yeah take that ecoboost. Towing that weight would give them 8-9 mpgs, as reported on the (Ford and even here) forums.

There is (obviously) a lot else to consider between gas and diesel engine choices however the ecodiesel v3 definitely is doing pretty well so far (jury still out).
Hope it keeps the reliability up.

If I were to buy a truck just for myself I’d take a chance on a 2021 BH ecodiesel. (With your money, ha ha...)

Lordy123

Reaction score

I notice a drastic drop in low temps, in the summer I get about 26/27 with general county driving and 30 for long highway stretches. In the winter when it's 25-35 degrees those numbers are about 2mpg lower. In the winter when its -5 degrees I get about 19 with general county driving.

I drove to MS last month and got 30.5 MPG freeway with winter blend in the warm weather, so I think the MPG drop has a lot more to do with the temperature itself, not the winter fuel blend. Especially with the very very high idle RPM when its below 0 freezing.

phisch

Reaction score
I'd be getting way better mpg if I could leave traction control on and keep my foot off the go pedal! This North edition is a snow monster and there's a bunch here in northern Indiana now. My company is still WFH so all I'm really driving is the 10mi round trip on hilly country roads to pick my kid up from school. Getting 21mpg. Just passed 6k miles since July.

ammdrew

Reaction score
most defiantly mileage goes down on winter fuel and temp. -0 f I am seeing about 18, winter fuel I am seeing 21 usually and summer 25

phisch

Reaction score
Follow up: my dash was reading 21.0, and I hand calculated 20.96 mpg. 496.5 miles with about 30% being highway in cold, windy and snowy Indiana.

Went out in unplowed +6" of snow yesterday afternoon, this truck is a BEAST. I was a little nervous leaving my Hemi Grand Cherokee Laredo X behind last summer, but this ecodiesel with the North package, Wildpeaks, 3.92s and 4x4 is a comparable combination in this awful weather. The next tank's mpg is going to be garbage :)

Funeman

Reaction score
Currently on a trip from Dayton Ohio to Sarasota Florida. Total payload with me, wife, two adult daughters, bags, etc is around 750 pounds. Cruise set to 74mph. First fill up was at 460 miles with readout showing 300 miles of range left. Lieometer showed 29.2mpg. Took 16.3 gallons so actual was 28mpg. Still awesome for a 1/2 ton truck.

ElkoNV

My dog thinks I’m cool.
Reaction score
New Limited, leveled on 34's, first tank 300-mile trip back from the dealer 80 mph most of the way 21.8 calculated. I am stoked not even broke in, watched the lieometer and the fuel economy would be much better on slower freeways but that's no fun.

Funeman

Reaction score
Currently on a trip from Dayton Ohio to Sarasota Florida. Total payload with me, wife, two adult daughters, bags, etc is around 750 pounds. Cruise set to 74mph. First fill up was at 460 miles with readout showing 300 miles of range left. Lieometer showed 29.2mpg. Took 16.3 gallons so actual was 28mpg. Still awesome for a 1/2 ton truck.
Finished up the trip; 1017 miles and the lieometer shows 28.6. Hand calculated was 27.8. Speed went up as I got closer so the mileage suffered a bit from the first half. All together it exceeded my expectations. Return trip next week, so I’ll update the post then.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
lot of magical unicorn trucks on this thread.

Yes there are.

On factory wheels and tires, with cruise set at 65, windows up, nice weather, I can maybe pull 25 MPG out of mine if I hold my mouth the right way.

I think that I could do 30 MPG if I was driving downhill with a tail wind for 75% of the trip.

I will say that 3.21 vs 3.92 axle ratio makes a bigger difference on the diesel than it does on the gas trucks. The diesel is very RPM sensitive.

Funeman

Reaction score
Yes there are.

On factory wheels and tires, with cruise set at 65, windows up, nice weather, I can maybe pull 25 MPG out of mine if I hold my mouth the right way.

I think that I could do 30 MPG if I was driving downhill with a tail wind for 75% of the trip.

I will say that 3.21 vs 3.92 axle ratio makes a bigger difference on the diesel than it does on the gas trucks. The diesel is very RPM sensitive.
Mine is stock, with the 3.92. I normally get low to mid 20’s but not this time. Not gonna complain, I’m thrilled with it.

Funeman

Reaction score
Final tally for week long round trip from Dayton, OH to Sarasota, FL and back was 2228 miles. Lieometer shows 27.2 and hand calc and through Fuelly is 26.3 mpg. Great for leadfooting it on the way home...much more so than the 74 I had the cruise set to on the trip down there. A1C25CF3-1AD5-4E9D-BFDD-5BDBC06835F3.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread