5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 eco diesel gas mileage

mrfreon

Reaction score
Final tally for week long round trip from Dayton, OH to Sarasota, FL and back was 2228 miles. Lieometer shows 27.2 and hand calc and through Fuelly is 26.3 mpg. Great for leadfooting it on the way home...much more so than the 74 I had the cruise set to on the trip down there.

That's almost the exact same MPG I get while driving Interstate 75 for 80 miles in Ohio each day commuting to and from work this time of year (winter is 4 MPG worse). My hand calculation is usually 1 MPG less than the computer calculation.

Supafish10

Reaction score
Have 13,000 miles logged on my Eco Diesel. Seattle to Phoenix for Thanksgiving round trip was 28.5 mpg. Just did Seattle to Anchorage in March oneway and got 29.8 mpg. The Canada and entering Alaska the temps were -10 F in the mornings and with out the block heater she started up and purred no problem.

The engine really likes 61 to 63 mph. Try to stick in that range unless doing a steep downhill and coasting.

traveller09

Reaction score
Have 13,000 miles logged on my Eco Diesel. Seattle to Phoenix for Thanksgiving round trip was 28.5 mpg. Just did Seattle to Anchorage in March oneway and got 29.8 mpg. The Canada and entering Alaska the temps were -10 F in the mornings and with out the block heater she started up and purred no problem.

The engine really likes 61 to 63 mph. Try to stick in that range unless doing a steep downhill and coasting.
nice, what trim do you have? I am in Seattle also. I just ordered a Rebel Ecodiesel yesterday.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2020 Longhorn EcoD is just over a year old to me now. I have the 3.92 rear end, 4wd and I've gotten a solid 26.8 mpg average over my first year. I am not a sedate elderly driver either. I got places to be. Pedal Commander, sport +2 since the first week I got it. I get over 800 miles to a tank ( 33 gallon ), which lasts me about a month. My last fillup ran me $96.40 though.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My last fill up the hand calculation was 1 mpg better, that does not happen often, it was 27 mpg (imperial) mostly highway, travelling to work, 4 days per week, 20 minutes each way, all highway, no traffic lights and only one stop, some city driving on the weekends.
The best thing is the fuel here is $1.16/ litre and regular gas is $1.38/litre, that’s a difference of $22 when fuelling up 100 litres.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My last fill up the hand calculation was 1 mpg better, that does not happen often, it was 27 mpg (imperial) mostly highway, travelling to work, 4 days per week, 20 minutes each way, all highway, no traffic lights and only one stop, some city driving on the weekends.
The best thing is the fuel here is $1.16/ litre and regular gas is $1.38/litre, that’s a difference of $22 when fuelling up 100 litres.
In southern Ontario diesel is usually cheaper than gasoline half of the week and the other half they are about the same. In northern Ontario diesel always seems to be cheaper, combine that with the increased economy and I make a lot less trips to the pump.

Driving 35-40k km per year really makes the savings add up.

PNWDiesel

Reaction score
I'm getting 27-28 highway / 19-23 city depending on how heavy my pedal foot is with my 2021 with the 3.92s and 33 gallon tank (2021 Bighorn night edition). Towing my 3500lb travel trailer out to Idaho I got 14.7mpg hand calculated (similar to the readout) there and 12.8mpg back in a heavy headwind, though if the road is flat enough and I don't hit a strong headwind I can get 16mpg towing it (like when heading out to the coast). Pretty happy with it overall.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck just received a build date of 5/14 so I'm about 4-6 weeks away from taking delivery.

I filled up my daily driver today, a 2.0L Volkswagen Hot Hatch
$3.24 a gallon for 93 (required)
24.1 MPG

Diesel at the same pump, $2.99
Est. 27 MPG for the EcoDiesel

I have to be the only person in the world who will be SAVING money when I go from a hatchback to a full size truck.

Quick math:
VW Golf R = .1315 cents per mile
EcoD RAM = .1107 cents per mile

Diesel may fluctuate but it's been between $2.50-$3.25 a gallon for the last 5 years.

Uga40

Reaction score
How does one get this? Just a dealer software update?
Hope so, I just asked for it by the TSB number. My truck is getting warranty work done and they said they would do the software updates after

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hope so, I just asked for it by the TSB number. My truck is getting warranty work done and they said they would do the software updates after

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
What’s the TSB number by chance? Or a link to the bulletin?

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would my 2021 have something like or is there a way to look to that up? Built in Jan/Feb 2021.
Unfortunately this TSB has been a bit cryptic. Normally they specifically show a date range of affected vehicles, and so far I haven't seen that within this TSB. The only document I've seen is dated early December 2020, so one would assume any truck after that date is fine, but that may not be the case either depending on when/how the control module suppliers start applying the updates to parts in production, and whether they had excess parts on the shelf already with old software.

If you are experiencing issues named in the TSB, take it to your dealer and ask if your truck needs updated. Can't hurt to try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online