5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Backup Camera Dead

aodetailnj

Reaction score
Admittedly I was in a hurry and jumped in the truck, fired it up and went right into reverse before the 12” started up completely. I’m hoping it was because of that. Kind of like trying to open a program immediately after your computer fires up from a reboot. I’ll let it rest and see what it does on the next start up.

Kooch80

Reaction score
I just had mine go out today. Almost 20,000 miles in. Going to mess with the connectors in the morning but it looks like it is stealership time

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Are you kidding me? The truck is three weeks old! A 2021 this is not normal

Absolutely, but remember that the back-up camera is a misc. vendor part that are made in the millions and likely overseas and you got a bad one. But that shouldn't detract from the rest of the truck. Luckily it wasn't something serious like the drivetrain or paint, that would suck.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Absolutely, but remember that the back-up camera is a misc. vendor part that are made in the millions and likely overseas and you got a bad one. But that shouldn't detract from the rest of the truck. Luckily it wasn't something serious like the drivetrain or paint, that would suck.
THIS ^^^

Kooch80

Reaction score
I just had mine go out today. Almost 20,000 miles in. Going to mess with the connectors in the morning but it looks like it is stealership time
Camera working again this morning. When I drive the truck yesterday evening all I had was black screen for the camera picture. Didn't do anything to the connections to make it work again.

Jako

Reaction score
Camera working again this morning. When I drive the truck yesterday evening all I had was black screen for the camera picture. Didn't do anything to the connections to make it work again.
Yeah - nature of beast. I've had similar experience except in June it took out the Nav also which came back minus 1 1/2 years of destinations. It has been good since.

Kooch80

Reaction score
Yeah - nature of beast. I've had similar experience except in June it took out the Nav also which came back minus 1 1/2 years of destinations. It has been good since.
I just hate the thought of going through the "we can't replicate the problem" game. Hopefully no more issues with the camera

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen once, about 1 month in my ownership, the backup camera didn't work, black screen one time backing up. However, after turning off and starting (along with opening and closing the tail gate firmly), it worked again no problem for 17 months and counting.

Kooch80

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen once, about 1 month in my ownership, the backup camera didn't work, black screen one time backing up. However, after turning off and starting (along with opening and closing the tail gate firmly), it worked again no problem for 17 months and counting.
That's pleasing to the ears. Hoping for the same.

Jako

Reaction score
Mine would not come back when I shut down and started, but did in time. I guess it needed time to heal!

SD Rebel

Reaction score
That's pleasing to the ears. Hoping for the same.

I had the same issue with my 2015 F150, which was essentially flawless in my 4 years of ownership. One time the camera didn't work, never happened again after that.

RamCares

Reaction score
I bought a 2021 Longhorn Limited Edition 2 weeks ago. Backup camera is dead. Took it to dealer, they are ordering a new camera. TWO WEEKS OLD WITH 700 MILES!!!! Are you FREAKING KIDDING ME???????

My 2021 built to serve edition 500 miles 2 weeks old and today the backup camera went out . Yeah... The tailgate has only been opened 1 time and that was the day I purchased the truck. Oh well, I just hope it stays out until I can get it to the dealership..

My ‘21 Laramie (2500miles) cam just went out today..let’s see if it comes back on. If not, to the dealer we go

Hi, I'm so sorry to hear this. Are you currently having concerns with your vehicle? Please feel free to send us a private message. I would be happy to help!

Alison
Ram Cares

dschweers

Reaction score
Electronics has about a 10% out of box failure or soon after.

Justin Freeman

Reaction score
I picked up my new 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 with the 12“ display on Wednesday, Feb. 3, 2021, with 20 miles on it. Today is Saturday, February 6, 2021, and I now have 456 miles on the truck, and the backup camera stopped working this afternoon. It worked for most of the day, but when I got in the truck to come home from the gas station, the screen on top is black, and the “Controls” section comes on the bottom half of the screen with the backup camera button illuminated red, when I put the vehicle in reverse.

I started reading into this tonight, and I’ve found a ton of people having this same issue. Several threads here, and on other sites.
Now, it’s cold here in Montana right now, and there’s snow and ice to contend with, but that’s not really acceptable for something like this.
I am going to take it to the dealer and have them check it out, but in the meantime tonight, I went outside and remote started the rig, then I remote dropped the tailgate, then I walked over to the truck and slammed the tailgate shut, then I got in the truck and put it in reverse... I’ll be damned, the backup camera started working again...

Probably not a permanent fix, but sometimes things just need to be “Fonzied” a little bit to work right...

Kooch80

Reaction score
I picked up my new 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 with the 12“ display on Wednesday, Feb. 3, 2021, with 20 miles on it. Today is Saturday, February 6, 2021, and I now have 456 miles on the truck, and the backup camera stopped working this afternoon. It worked for most of the day, but when I got in the truck to come home from the gas station, the screen on top is black, and the “Controls” section comes on the bottom half of the screen with the backup camera button illuminated red, when I put the vehicle in reverse.

I started reading into this tonight, and I’ve found a ton of people having this same issue. Several threads here, and on other sites.
Now, it’s cold here in Montana right now, and there’s snow and ice to contend with, but that’s not really acceptable for something like this.
I am going to take it to the dealer and have them check it out, but in the meantime tonight, I went outside and remote started the rig, then I remote dropped the tailgate, then I walked over to the truck and slammed the tailgate shut, then I got in the truck and put it in reverse... I’ll be damned, the backup camera started working again...

Probably not a permanent fix, but sometimes things just need to be “Fonzied” a little bit to work right...
Mine did that, black screen but could still see controls. Next day normal again. Only happened the one time

Jinxy

Reaction score
2021 Rebel purchase in OCT 2020 with 1500 miles on it and mine just died today. This is nuts. Yes I know I need to stay calm and they will replace it under warranty but it's still BS.

Harley5704

Reaction score
2021 limited night edition that I just bought last week. Camera screen went black ! Truck is only a week old and dead. Anyone know if a fix ?

Users who are viewing this thread