5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Backup Camera Dead

BobbyD1966

Reaction score
I bought a 2021 Longhorn Limited Edition 2 weeks ago. Backup camera is dead. Took it to dealer, they are ordering a new camera. TWO WEEKS OLD WITH 700 MILES!!!! Are you FREAKING KIDDING ME???????

PM-Performance

Reaction score
This is crazy. I have seen some crazy electronic bugs with mine as well, but not that bad.
This was my fear of buying a vehicle built during covid
The good part is it’s under warranty. The bad part is waiting on warranty repair due to parts not being avail

Last edited:

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
Electronics have a finite lifespan... some less than others. It’s normal in that regard. At least it’s a super easy fix that you could do yourself in 15 minutes if you really wanted to.

BobbyD1966

Reaction score
Electronics have a finite lifespan... some less than others. It’s normal in that regard. At least it’s a super easy fix that you could do yourself in 15 minutes if you really wanted to.
Are you kidding me? The truck is three weeks old! A 2021 this is not normal

Reactions: lbj

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I bought a 2021 Longhorn Limited Edition 2 weeks ago. Backup camera is dead. Took it to dealer, they are ordering a new camera. TWO WEEKS OLD WITH 700 MILES!!!! Are you FREAKING KIDDING ME???????
This may be the glass 1/2 full vs 1/2 empty approach.
It is good that it doesn't work, it will be replaced. I've had a few occasions where it stopped and came back. On top of that my 8.4 Nav crapped out and 1 1/2 years of destinations are gone along with the back up camera, but came back the next day.
Dealership response was the system is up to date and nothing they can do at this point, hopefully it stops working altogether before I have another 1 1/2 years of destinations.
Think of the Ram as your child, still love them despite behavior you are not happy with. BMW motorcycles have taught me "ownership theory" - price you pay for some of the things that make you happy (just not 100% of the time).

BobbyD1966

Reaction score
Thanks for keeping me calm. You’re right it is a good thing it’s being replaced just extremely frustrated. I’ve read a lot of not so good things about these back up cameras failing. This is my first new truck, and I bought it off the recommendation of several friends that have rams! They all love them and Have never had any problems. Dropping 50k and having the backup camera fail in less than 700 miles scares the **** out of me. Hoping this isn’t the start of a domino effect and this is just the start of problems.....

BowDown

Reaction score
This is crazy. I have seen some crazy electronic bugs with mine as well, but not that bad.
This was my fear of buying a vehicle built during covid
The good part is it’s under warranty. The bad part is waiting on warranty repair due to parts not being avail

Mine too and why I decided in July to buy a pre-covid built truck

BowDown

Reaction score

Stuff happens, as PM-Performance said, this was a concern of his buying a covid truck and if you go to the MSRP sticky thread and go back to March through June, it was stated there many times too.
I know it sucks but step back and relax, its an easy repair

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I understand the frustration, but this can't be the first thing you've ever bought that died or broke after a short period of time. $hit happens and everything is full of electronics today. Things go bad far before they should...that's why we have warranties. Your experience is not the norm...it's the exception based on the sales volume of these truck. Don't think for a minute that Ford and GM don't all have similar issues...or worse...just go check out their forums ;)

PM-Performance

Reaction score
Thanks for keeping me calm. You’re right it is a good thing it’s being replaced just extremely frustrated. I’ve read a lot of not so good things about these back up cameras failing. This is my first new truck, and I bought it off the recommendation of several friends that have rams! They all love them and Have never had any problems. Dropping 50k and having the backup camera fail in less than 700 miles scares the **** out of me. Hoping this isn’t the start of a domino effect and this is just the start of problems.....
Watch out for the guys that say “never had a problem”
I have friends like this that just like to say that and they do indeed have problems they do not share. I have caught many people in this and point out the problems “they don’t have” that they actually do.

PS: I can certainly attest that the late 19 and 20 F150’s at the very least are plagued with camera issues. Not sure if they changed brands due to Covid, but they are replacing a **** ton of cameras lately.

BowDown

Reaction score
Watch out for the guys that say “never had a problem”
I have friends like this that just like to say that and they do indeed have problems they do not share. I have caught many people in this and point out the problems “they don’t have” that they actually do.

PS: I can certainly attest that the late 19 and 20 F150’s at the very least are plagued with camera issues. Not sure if they changed brands due to Covid, but they are replacing a **** ton of cameras lately.

Yeah, every vehicle from every make has some issues.
My 12" unconnect has had the same problems everyone else has had but strangely in the last 2-3 months, its been working perfectly like they sent an update to fix it, previously it crashed weekly.
The only thing i did to it was try to update the nav and did the USB backup and since then, its been perfect. Now I need a huge *** piece of wood to knock on

Last edited:

RodRow

Reaction score
I had problems with my backup cameras on both of my 2019 Rams...but after they were replaced, thankfully, no issues with them whatsoever.
I love my truck and my son loves his.
I’m hopeful that yours is one and done also. Good luck friend!

Bram2019

Reaction score
You know what. That is an electronic device, probably made in China. There will be some that will fail early. You also should remember it is in your tailgate which gets slammed when you close it. So you got unlucky. Not due to Covid. The dealer will replace the camera and just move on.

BobbyD1966

Reaction score
Stuff happens, as PM-Performance said, this was a concern of his buying a covid truck and if you go to the MSRP sticky thread and go back to March through June, it was stated there many times too.
I know it sucks but step back and relax, its an easy repair
I get it.......just frustrating after only three weeks of ownership. I know it will get fixed but damn!

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Electronics have a bath tub like failure curve. There is a high Infantile Death rate.
Which is what the Manufacturers warranty covers. Then the failures taper off to
almost nothing. As the unit ages and with over heating the failures go up again.

Malodave

BobbyD1966

Reaction score
Electronics have a bath tub like failure curve. There is a high Infantile Death rate.
Which is what the Manufacturers warranty covers. Then the failures taper off to
almost nothing. As the unit ages and with over heating the failures go up again.

Malodave
Thanks guys for the reassurance. As a new ram owner I absolutely love my truck! How can I add my details like your profiles to show my vehicle? Thanks for all the responses

Fatherof3

Reaction score
I wonder if they bothered to look at the connection to the camera ? I’ve heard that a few just needed to be plugged in all the way .

RodRow

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the reassurance. As a new ram owner I absolutely love my truck! How can I add my details like your profiles to show my vehicle? Thanks for all the responses
Hey Bobby - you just click on your username at the top of the page (if viewing in a browser window), then click on “Signature“ and add your deets. :)

Goat1

Reaction score
My 2021 built to serve edition 500 miles 2 weeks old and today the backup camera went out . Yeah... The tailgate has only been opened 1 time and that was the day I purchased the truck. Oh well, I just hope it stays out until I can get it to the dealership..

aodetailnj

Reaction score
My ‘21 Laramie (2500miles) cam just went out today..let’s see if it comes back on. If not, to the dealer we go

Users who are viewing this thread