5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Ram Rebel with warn bumper

rebel70

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was wondering if any of you had luck with the Warn 103638 bumper. Says it’s for all 19+ Ram models. I have a 2020 Ram Rebel… wondering if anyone has tried one out yet? I would really like one on my Rebel. Pics if you do please!!

heres the link for reference:

Thanks in advance!

CalgaryJohn87

Reaction score
I seen this one in person at a Cabelas here in Calgary. The guy told me he loved it and it was the only one he could find that was made for a Rebel. It looked real slick on the truck.

Reactions: BGL

silverWS6

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ADD also has a bumper with a winch available.

Their wait time is a little long tho...

BGL

Reaction score
I seen this one in person at a Cabelas here in Calgary. The guy told me he loved it and it was the only one he could find that was made for a Rebel. It looked real slick on the truck.

Video of an installation

70runner

Reaction score
A word of caution regarding truck powered winches.

The 1500 Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS), module attached to the battery negative post, can be an issue for winches. 9-12K winches can pull upwards of 400 amps. Bosch, the IBS manufacturer, rates the 1500 IBS module at "approximately 200 amps". They were unwilling to provide exact specs. If the winch negative is attached to the IBS post, the IBS module could potentially be damaged by current demands beyond its design spec. The alternative, attaching winch negative directly to the battery post bypassing the IBS, could adversely impact IBS function.

Inquiries on this matter to RAM Corporate by a couple of us on this forum have essentially been ignored. One RAM response "ground the winch to the engine" is remarkably bad advice as this places not only the IBS at risk but also the engine-battery ground cable. The Vice Design (video above) guys are aware of this issue. You can read an exchange in the comments section between a couple of us and Vice Design in the video below.

Working through Warn Industries, we were able to identify the Stellantis IBS engineer. I sent him a direct email 3 weeks ago addressing this issue. No response to date.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A word of caution regarding truck powered winches.

The 1500 Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS), module attached to the battery negative post, can be an issue for winches. 9-12K winches can pull upwards of 400 amps. Bosch, the IBS manufacturer, rates the 1500 IBS module at "approximately 200 amps". They were unwilling to provide exact specs. If the winch negative is attached to the IBS post, the IBS module could potentially be damaged by current demands beyond its design spec. The alternative, attaching winch negative directly to the battery post bypassing the IBS, could adversely impact IBS function.

Inquiries on this matter to RAM Corporate by a couple of us on this forum have essentially been ignored. One RAM response "ground the winch to the engine" is remarkably bad advice as this places not only the IBS at risk but also the engine-battery ground cable. The Vice Design (video above) guys are aware of this issue. You can read an exchange in the comments section between a couple of us and Vice Design in the video below.

Working through Warn Industries, we were able to identify the Stellantis IBS engineer. I sent him a direct email 3 weeks ago addressing this issue. No response to date.

Interesting as I have my 1200k Smitty grounded to the chassis and have had no issues using it many times. Are there people here that have had issues?

70runner

Reaction score
Interesting as I have my 1200k Smitty grounded to the chassis and have had no issues using it many times. Are there people here that have had issues?
I haven't read of any problems. However, the potential (pardon the pun) for a problem exists if the winch is in an extreme load condition, sending 300-400 amps through the chassis-battery ground cable and the IBS. These components in the 1500 are rated for approx 200 amps. The Powerwagon/HD trucks with built in winch use a much higher rated IBS and ground cable.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I understand those changes in the powerwagon are there for an engineering reason. I wonder what it would take to upgrade our system to protect against the amp draw. Actually used my winch today for a full pull through a snow drift. F57825C2-CE5D-4829-8D93-C45564BB3EF1.jpeg 4C86EC03-2C20-462B-A664-53BE69D54C12.jpeg 12D35108-8DFE-4B55-A4D6-FC9EFF02D878.jpeg 0A038FA0-FA5A-451A-8043-6111761A5860.jpeg

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FYI my Smitty 12k is grounded to the chassis. Maybe that’s why I haven’t had an issue?

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I remember correctly it was the one that comes off the battery to the truck. It’s short next to the battery. So in theory I guess it’s technically still grounded to the battery as well. However it’s not on the cable that has that black box which I think is the IBS.

yosh_lopez

Reaction score
If I remember correctly it was the one that comes off the battery to the truck. It’s short next to the battery. So in theory I guess it’s technically still grounded to the battery as well. However it’s not on the cable that has that black box which I think is the IBS.
Thanks for the quick answer! Have you had any issues when using the winch on pulls? Lights or error messages on the dash?

70runner

Reaction score
I understand those changes in the powerwagon are there for an engineering reason. I wonder what it would take to upgrade our system to protect against the amp draw.

Precisely. I believe they use a 440 amp alternator, so all the battery/ground cabling and IBS is spec'd for the higher amperage. Fellow member on this forum contacted Bosch (IBS manufacturer) to pursue this angle - adapting the HD IBS to the 1500. They were unresponsive. The Stellantis 1500 IBS design engineer has still not responded to my queries on this matter. Using a truck powered 400 amp winch on a 1500, as you and others have, may work fine, though there is a degree of risk to the 1500 IBS module and/or ground cabling.

As to grounding the winch to the chassis, that arrangement still routes current through the IBS. Only way to circumvent the IBS is to ground the winch between the IBS and battery post.

Users who are viewing this thread