5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Ram Rebel with warn bumper

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Precisely. I believe they use a 440 amp alternator, so all the battery/ground cabling and IBS is spec'd for the higher amperage. Fellow member on this forum contacted Bosch (IBS manufacturer) to pursue this angle - adapting the HD IBS to the 1500. They were unresponsive. The Stellantis 1500 IBS design engineer has still not responded to my queries on this matter. Using a truck powered 400 amp winch on a 1500, as you and others have, may work fine, though there is a degree of risk to the 1500 IBS module and/or ground cabling.

As to grounding the winch to the chassis, that arrangement still routes current through the IBS. Only way to circumvent the IBS is to ground the winch between the IBS and battery post.
same thing im researching and wanting to add extra battery that way i dont touch my starter battery and ibs

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
Precisely. I believe they use a 440 amp alternator, so all the battery/ground cabling and IBS is spec'd for the higher amperage. Fellow member on this forum contacted Bosch (IBS manufacturer) to pursue this angle - adapting the HD IBS to the 1500. They were unresponsive. The Stellantis 1500 IBS design engineer has still not responded to my queries on this matter. Using a truck powered 400 amp winch on a 1500, as you and others have, may work fine, though there is a degree of risk to the 1500 IBS module and/or ground cabling.

As to grounding the winch to the chassis, that arrangement still routes current through the IBS. Only way to circumvent the IBS is to ground the winch between the IBS and battery post.
What about putting a Power Wagon IBS in place of the 1500 IBS? What would be the difficulty or challenge in that? Would that be like putting a 50 amp fuse in place of a 20 amp fuse that keeps blowing?

70runner

Reaction score
What about putting a Power Wagon IBS in place of the 1500 IBS? What would be the difficulty or challenge in that? Would that be like putting a 50 amp fuse in place of a 20 amp fuse that keeps blowing?
That's the 64000 dollar question. We asked both Bosch and Stellantis about this. Crickets. Perhaps a Powerwagon owner can chime in, but I believe the physical connector to the IBS is different than the 1500. Another consideration, is the IBS software protocol same between 1500 and Powerwagon? Only Stellantis knows and they aren't talking. Either way, as a retired EE, I would not ground a 1500 powered winch to the chassis. But that's just me.

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
That's the 64000 dollar question. We asked both Bosch and Stellantis about this. Crickets. Perhaps a Powerwagon owner can chime in, but I believe the physical connector to the IBS is different than the 1500. Another consideration, is the IBS software protocol same between 1500 and Powerwagon? Only Stellantis knows and they aren't talking. Either way, as a retired EE, I would not ground a 1500 powered winch to the chassis. But that's just me.
Thank you for the response. In the meantime, where would the ideal place be to ground a winch for a 5th Gen 1500?

70runner

Reaction score
Thank you for the response. In the meantime, where would the ideal place be to ground a winch for a 5th Gen 1500?
The 1500 IBS design does not provide an ideal solution. I have a 12K trailer mounted winch. Grounded the winch cable between the IBS and battery post connector as shown below. This approach bypasses the IBS during winch operation. If winch operation is occasional, this should have minimal impact on IBS function. Another member here and I have used this approach and noted no issues, IBS or otherwise, as yet. One caution, however, depending on winch install, the winch ground cable could provide an alternate ground path via the winch casing and chassis possibly affecting IBS during normal truck operation. In this case I recommend a full disconnect switch or Anderson connector.

The +12v connection uses a Blue Sea marine rated terminal block and 300 amp fuse, along with 450 amp switch disconnect. The +12v disconnect is a safety factor as a backup to the winch control and also to de-energize the winch +12v cable when not in use.

BattConn.jpg GdConn.jpg

jent

Reaction score
If winch operation is occasional, this should have minimal impact on IBS function.

In this configuration what impact to the IBS is possible? And how? It seems like it should be very safe, but I am not an EE.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have had my winch negative cable installed like this for basically 2yrs no observable negative effects.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 1500 IBS design does not provide an ideal solution. I have a 12K trailer mounted winch. Grounded the winch cable between the IBS and battery post connector as shown below. This approach bypasses the IBS during winch operation. If winch operation is occasional, this should have minimal impact on IBS function. Another member here and I have used this approach and noted no issues, IBS or otherwise, as yet. One caution, however, depending on winch install, the winch ground cable could provide an alternate ground path via the winch casing and chassis possibly affecting IBS during normal truck operation. In this case I recommend a full disconnect switch or Anderson connector.

The +12v connection uses a Blue Sea marine rated terminal block and 300 amp fuse, along with 450 amp switch disconnect. The +12v disconnect is a safety factor as a backup to the winch control and also to de-energize the winch +12v cable when not in use.

View attachment 119980 View attachment 119984

ok so do you happen to have links for items and more pictures of full set up i think your route is the way i wanna go

… at the end i seen you said basically you have a disconnect at 450 amps but was lost at the rest im a newbie to this learning and just starting now to read about all this stuff

70runner

Reaction score
The pictures are the full setup, except for the 1/0 AWG cabling running under the truck, driver side, to an Anderson connector near the hitch receiver.

1/0 AWG cabling: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LIB70XK (depending on your setup, you'll need several 1/0 lugs. A welding shop can do this if you don't have a crimping tool)
Disconnect: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07413JWLD
Fuse block: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075ZJ3MRV
Fuse: https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-5183-Terminal/dp/B001AFZL9O?th=1
Anderson connector: https://www.amazon.com/Jiayouy-Disc...rds=anderson+connector&qid=1644458178&sr=8-16
High temperature Nylon split wire looming (bought local)

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online