5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Ram HD gives us our best look at the new front end yet!

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score

Our friends at Real Fast Fotography have caught yet another 2020 Ram Heavy Duty out testing, giving us our best look yet at the new front end. This truck, believed to be a 5500 chassis cab is wearing heavy camo, but thanks to our quick thinking photographer we are now able to make out some more details.

\
2020 Ram 5500 (Real Fast Fotography photo)

Based on what we can see in these spy shots we believe that the upcoming Ram HD's will be more differentiated from their half ton siblings than ever before. The front bumper appears to be of a similar design to the all new Ram 1500 with front parking sensors hidden in the fog light trim and bumper air inlet. Looking up higher we can see a much larger grille that seems to be similar in shape to the current heavy duty trucks. The grille insert shares the same pattern as the insert on the 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Limited. The large RAM text is also front and center in the grille and houses the front camera just under the A like the new 1500s.

2020 Ram 5500 (Real Fast Fotography photo)[/caption]

Headlights appear to be LEDs and again while partially covered seem to be of a different shape and design than those of the new 1500's. We also see new tow mirrors which we imagine will trickle down to the 5th Gen 1500's. The current tow mirrors are carried over from the last generation and are not compatible with the 360 degree surround view cameras.

ichime

Reaction score
I recently spoke to a friend of mine who works for Chrysler's marketing dept about some other stuff including their upcoming trucks. I'm gonna keep referring to this person in the 3rd person because I don't want my excitement about this stuff to lead to his/her identity getting revealed and him/her possibly getting fired after a good amount of years working for Chrysler. Here we go:

- The HDs will use the same cab as the 1500s with some changes to the center console to include aux switches and some other features specific to the HDs (one of of them includes automatic gooseneck trailer loading similar to what Ford has); also said 12 inch screen will also be in HDs
- Front end of the HDs will look very similar to the recent 4th Gen HDs (according to my friend, the reason is that they got great feedback from customers about the HD's big-rig design and that the 2500 and 3500 trucks have been outselling Chevy's 2500s and 3500s since 2013)
- Megacab WILL be available and will include a "lounge" package option in the higher trims that includes more comfortable seating and rear seat entertainment
- Consumer grade 4500 in the works to fight the F450
- No numbers on weight savings and materials since they're still working on certain components of the trucks. They expect to lose weight though

Now the fun stuff:
- Diesel options will be the 6.7 cummins (duh); expect 400hp/930ft lbs for the 2500s, 430hp/980ft lbs for the 3500s and 4500 with updated Aisin transmission (these are the numbers the engineers are aiming for while keeping at least the same fuel economy and DEF consumption). The current trucks testing have EGR because some states still require it
- Commercial grade trucks MIGHT get the 5.0 liter cummins (reason being that because of the poor Titan XD sales and the fact that very few outfitters are using the 5.0, cummins is basically offering it to them at a big discount)
- Gas option will remain the same but might have a slight HP bump; currently no plans to add the mild hybrid to the 6.4
- Confirmed a Raptor fighter that uses both a new 7.0 liter V8 and 6.2 liter supercharged Hemi; the design sketches looks pretty similar to the concept (according to my friend)

The only thing my friend is not sure is when they're gonna unveil these trucks. The marketing dept is pushing for the 2019 Detroit auto show for all the HDs AND the Rebel series trucks because they believe that they can steal thunder from GM and Ford if they can unveil it before their updates. My friend says that there is a lot of politics being played when it comes to this issue.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
you definitely don't want to let slip about your friend. Thanks for the conversation. Just remember your friend and his job are way more important than sharing info...but thanks for the share.

Interesting.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
ichime said:
I recently spoke to a friend of mine who works for Chrysler's marketing dept about some other stuff including their upcoming trucks. I'm gonna keep referring to this person in the 3rd person because I don't want my excitement about this stuff to lead to his/her identity getting revealed and him/her possibly getting fired after a good amount of years working for Chrysler. Here we go:

- The HDs will use the same cab as the 1500s with some changes to the center console to include aux switches and some other features specific to the HDs (one of of them includes automatic gooseneck trailer loading similar to what Ford has); also said 12 inch screen will also be in HDs
- Front end of the HDs will look very similar to the recent 4th Gen HDs (according to my friend, the reason is that they got great feedback from customers about the HD's big-rig design and that the 2500 and 3500 trucks have been outselling Chevy's 2500s and 3500s since 2013)
- Megacab WILL be available and will include a "lounge" package option in the higher trims that includes more comfortable seating and rear seat entertainment
- No numbers on weight savings and materials since they're still working on certain components of the trucks. They expect to lose weight though

Now the fun stuff:
- Diesel options will be the 6.7 cummins (duh); expect 400hp/930ft lbs for the 2500s, 430hp/980ft lbs for the 3500s and 4500 with updated Aisin transmission (these are the numbers the engineers are aiming for while keeping at least the same fuel economy and DEF consumption). The current trucks testing have EGR because some states still require it
- Commercial grade trucks MIGHT get the 5.0 liter cummins (reason being that because of the poor Titan XD sales and the fact that very few outfitters are using the 5.0, cummins is basically offering it to them at a big discount)
- Gas option will remain the same but might have a slight HP bump; currently no plans to add the mild hybrid to the 6.4
- Confirmed a Raptor fighter that uses both a new 7.0 liter V8 and 6.2 liter supercharged Hemi; the design sketches looks pretty similar to the concept (according to my friend)

The only thing my friend is not sure is when they're gonna unveil these trucks. The marketing dept is pushing for the 2019 Detroit auto show for all the HDs AND the Rebel series trucks because they believe that they can steal thunder from GM and Ford if they can unveil it before their updates. My friend says that there is a lot of politics being played when it comes to this issue.
Awesome info and all totally plausible. Thanks for that. Surprised to hear about the possibility of the 5.0 Cummins for commercial grade trucks.

bravo1

Reaction score
There is alot of clues in these pictures,lane guidence,blind spot detection,adaptive cruise control which if holds true this next gen Ram HD will have blind spot detection all the way back some 40 feet or more.They still have the best cargo/tailgate camera vision in the business.Rainning cats/dogs fog you name it I never miss my hook-up on my 5th wheel/gooseneck...Look forward to a telescoping steering wheel.On the previous picture's you posted earlier shown the blind spot illuminating in the current gen mirror to the driver that took the passenger side picture of the RAM 3500.These mirrors are OK and do the job but I would like to see them flipped down when I am finished towing by a button located on the driverside window/mirror control module,also by selecting the L/R mirror control i can move the lower mirror to where I what it to be and not have to jump out and adjust it in the rain/snow...I am hoping for a flat rear floor,so if I what I can air up the single bed air matteress and just fall asleep.The fold flat flooring is nice but I know that my weight may be pushing the limit on the flooring material.I knew RAM was looking into a 90,000-100,000 dallor truck so the Ram 4500 for the utimate tow rig,makes good sense if there is profit for them.Gonna have to step up on the towing 5th wheel/gooseneck limits which means a big increase in hp/tq for the 6.7L.So not sure if the 6.7L will do this job,I look for Cummins to take this diesel to 7.0L level and bring some meat to the table for Christmas,not leftover last gen powertrain,soup.Beside i get it for the 5th gen Ram 1500 those powertrains,because like many have stated they were disappointed some what that FCA did not come out with some new powertrains for the 1/2 ton truck,but after retooling 4 plants,I sure with the latest FCA board direction of debt pay down I doubt if any board member would be on board for retooling engine plants as well to replace the 3.6,5.7.But with the RAM HD the diesel is from a different manufacture so the cost of development falls alot on them Cummins.So I would not say your amigo is correct in stating those numbers from Cummins,for as you know this current 6.7 started at 800ft and with just changing software,they pulled 130ft pounds of torque over the past few years mated to the Aisin of course but still there was some torque available for the 68rfe as well.So but to go to the towing number's 32,000 plus it's gonna need in the RAM 1-Ton and the RAM 4500 36,000 plus it's gonna need some more torque.Most Cummins tech's I have talk too,say they think the 68rfe will disappear and that just a next gen Aisin will be standard across the line up it makes sense to stop producing 2 transmission when Ford use's 1 and GM use's just 1 as well,for it's HD 3/4-1 ton market.One thing for sure after looking closely at the 5th gen Ram 1500 I am liking the direction that FCA is taking Ram truck division.And look forward to seeing this next generation Cummins diesel.I own 2 of these and have zero compliants.This latest 6.7L has a really good fuel mileage towing program with the 68rfe,alot of my friends run freight and cars coast to coast and just say there just isnt anything out there that runs with it.In terms of maintence cost,fuel mileage,ride comfort,air bag and all...I am with them as well that Cummins will reduced the size of the next generation DEF/SCR/DEP system.And look for them to elimated the EGR/intake air throttle system,which is the only thing on this diesel that cost money to clean,being done every 65,000.I wish that in the event that if it is kept that all the techs have to do is swap out a recondition Cummin's approved EGR rather than soaking both it and the air throttle valve,and waiting for it to do it's job..Kinda of howky kinda of like kicking tires at the lot who does that......

ichime

Reaction score
devildodge said:
you definitely don't want to let slip about your friend. Thanks for the conversation. Just remember your friend and his job are way more important than sharing info...but thanks for the share.

Interesting.
Yeah I was very mindful of that before posting, but this person was very casual about telling me all this info, almost like a sales pitch for these new trucks. Clearly the excitement was there on both sides when we were discussing the new HDs
Jared Balfour said:
Awesome info and all totally plausible. Thanks for that. Surprised to hear about the possibility of the 5.0 Cummins for commercial grade trucks.
Yeah, I was surprised too, but it would make sense for Cummins to try to get rid of some piling up in their factories. Not sure if Ram will bite because the Titan XD with the 5.0 doesn't seem to do too well with fuel economy, which was it's selling point vs the bigger diesels.

Edit: another thing that was mentioned is that the Power Wagon might be discontinued or rebadged as a Rebel truck...

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
awesome. Thanks for the info. The 5th gen 2500 is what I am most interested. Sounds like maybe the info might start rolling into the interwebs.

Thanks

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
ichime said:
Yeah, I was surprised too, but it would make sense for Cummins to try to get rid of some piling up in their factories. Not sure if Ram will bite because the Titan XD with the 5.0 doesn't seem to do too well with fuel economy, which was it's selling point vs the bigger diesels.

Edit: another thing that was mentioned is that the Power Wagon might be discontinued or rebadged as a Rebel truck...
Yeah, I've got some opinions on the 5.0 Cummins in the Titan, none of them good. Whether thats due to Cummins or Nissans tuning of it I don't know.

haywaj

Reaction score

Now the fun stuff:

Any info on any suspension upgrade for the 3500? Possibility of getting the link coil design?

ichime

Reaction score
Any info on any suspension upgrade for the 3500? Possibility of getting the link coil design?
No mention of any suspension changes specifically (though I'm sure there will be some). If I get more info I'll be sure to post it.

haywaj

Reaction score
Thank you. Do you know if the 68RFE will continue on, or will it get replaced by an Aisin?

haywaj

Reaction score
Replaced with a different in house trans or a sourced one?

haywaj

Reaction score
Any word on if they will have a mild hybrid system like the 1500s? Thinking it could be a nice option for the construction folks - could possible offer hand held tool battery charging, etc, for a remote job site.

Users who are viewing this thread