5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Ram 2500 HD - looks outdated already

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We discussed how you said nothing changed. I explained what did.

It still is a 4th Gen...I do agree and have agreed it looks similar.

You said to drop the discussion. Agree to disagree.

It looks the same just like some say all trucks look the same today. I know immediately what is different. But I agree it isn't a big change, but if they held off on claiming the huge new changes...it would be just like buying a 2018 when you have a 2017.. except this time buying a 2019 is much different than buying a 2018.

When the actually new body desognation happens...we can discuss it again. Until then I will just agree to disagree.

You know the All new Cummins looks just like the 2018...but 1000 lb ft.

Thanks for the pic though. I never liked white trucks, now I own one lol

SupremeWill

Reaction score
We discussed how you said nothing changed. I explained what did.

It still is a 4th Gen...I do agree and have agreed it looks similar.

You said to drop the discussion. Agree to disagree.

It looks the same just like some say all trucks look the same today. I know immediately what is different. But I agree it isn't a big change, but if they held off on claiming the huge new changes...it would be just like buying a 2018 when you have a 2017.. except this time buying a 2019 is much different than buying a 2018.

When the actually new body desognation happens...we can discuss it again. Until then I will just agree to disagree.

You know the All new Cummins looks just like the 2018...but 1000 lb ft.

Thanks for the pic though. I never liked white trucks, now I own one lol

White looks SEXY with some chrome wheels.

I'm only upset because I really REALLY wanted a "new" 2500. I am sure i may still get one. But i will leave the matter alone, Thanks for getting me back in line.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I really REALLY wanted a "new" 2500. I
Me too...but I want to see what the gasser war does to the BGE engine...so I bought one last 4th Gen...

But it is really hard to not get a 2019 with all the "chan...improvements".

But in 2021...I dont want to be upset that I couldn't wait.

John813

Reaction score
Saw my first 2500 6.4L today. Really wanted to take it for a test drive but didn't want to waste anyones time since that specific truck wasn't a serious option to buy.

SupremeWill

Reaction score
Me too...but I want to see what the gasser war does to the BGE engine...so I bought one last 4th Gen...

But it is really hard to not get a 2019 with all the "chan...improvements".

But in 2021...I dont want to be upset that I couldn't wait.

Whats are you thinking is going to be the surprise in 2021??

Love your new truck

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The new cabs, new bed/tailgate, possible more aggressive Powerwagon, and if the gasser war continues...500+ hp.

Disclaimer: all my Hope's, no hidden info here.

I really am impressed with my new truck...although it is obviously a newer/more advanced truck than my 99 and 03...it also seems more improved than the 13 Cummins we had too.

The 19 is going to be better...but the true 5th Gen will be better yet.

SupremeWill

Reaction score
The new cabs, new bed/tailgate, possible more aggressive Powerwagon, and if the gasser war continues...500+ hp.

I really am impressed with my new truck...although it is obviously a newer/more advanced truck than my 99 and 03...it also seems more improved than the 13 Cummins we had too.

My hopes as well!!

KLSU

Reaction score

So will the 5th generation be coming out next year(2020) mid year as a 2021?

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Saw first RAM 2500 today at the dealership unloading. U-turned and stopped by to look. Crew cab, white, bighorn trim. First impression... man, does this look already outdated! Unless you look dead on center from either front or back - you can't tell which gen you are looking at. Since everything past a-pilar is the last gen this truck's exterior already looks 10 years old. From some angels it is just plane dated and unattractive.

I'm sort of disappointed as I was looking for upgrade to 2500 in 3 years when my lease on Rebel is up. No way I'm spending $80K on diesel truck that looks >10 years old.

Anyhow, this is very strange decision by RAM to hoist a lot of new tech on a decade old body.
Honestly, I feel that Ram 1500 and 2500 bighorn and tradesman models all look outdated with just the headlights alone. Headlights on those models look just plain nasty. Laramie and up have the headlights that make it look more modern. Other trims have that big ugly circle in that headlight.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea I thought it was just a light refresh and The new HD is still a few years out? I think that’s why it’s the Same truck with a new grille.

Same thing ford just did on both models. Gm did in 16 after only two years of 14-15, although that was apparently partly because of the poor headlights. The General always strikes.

Ford is advertising “all new” f250 right meow. nothing is different?

OuachitaAdventure

Reaction score
The lack of the new cab is what's killing me about them. I looked at a 75k 2500 yesterday at the dealer. I liked everything about the truck except for the fact that tthe cab on my 1500 is bigger. I took mine in to get repairs done and they gave me an old body style loner. I couldn't believe how much room the new body style is. Makes it hard to drop all that cash on less interior room....

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Honestly, I feel that Ram 1500 and 2500 bighorn and tradesman models all look outdated with just the headlights alone. Headlights on those models look just plain nasty. Laramie and up have the headlights that make it look more modern. Other trims have that big ugly circle in that headlight.

A lot of of lower trim trucks are bought as work and fleet trucks. Owners don't necessarily want to spend $1,500 to replace a headlight or taillight from damage at a construction site. That said, my Big horn has the LED lights and I would not go without them.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A lot of of lower trim trucks are bought as work and fleet trucks. Owners don't necessarily want to spend $1,500 to replace a headlight or taillight from damage at a construction site. That said, my Big horn has the LED lights and I would not go without them.

Oh I’m aware of that. Simply stating my opinion on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The lack of the new cab is what's killing me about them. I looked at a 75k 2500 yesterday at the dealer. I liked everything about the truck except for the fact that tthe cab on my 1500 is bigger. I took mine in to get repairs done and they gave me an old body style loner. I couldn't believe how much room the new body style is. Makes it hard to drop all that cash on less interior room....
It makes such a big difference, doesn't it? When I was comparison shopping, I was impressed by the rear legroom in both the F-150 and Ram. I looked at the Chevy 2500HD, for example, but the interior felt much smaller overall. I'm at that point in life where comfort (for four) is becoming a bigger factor that raw capability.

Rockman

Reaction score
I am still waiting on ecodiesel... I did drive a new limited mega the other day.. I would buy the hd but these are the things they should have implemented to get my money
1. Lane assist
2. Air suspension with ORG
3. Adaptive cruise with stop and go. I drive my 1500 in traffic and I can’t live without the go feature.
4. I like the shift knob... but not a deal breaker like the others..

I drove the Aisin in the 3500 but did not like the stiff shifting. The 68 was great in the 2500 and the Engine and new shift software were smooth. The engine was super quiet and from Cummins engineers I could see better mileage. I understand they added a lot to get the truck updated. But for 83K these features better be included....

hutchman

Reaction score
I own a "new" 2500 392. It is a Tradesman, but is VERY quiet on the highway. It is getting 1.5 mpg better than my 2016 Bighorn did with 3.73s. It is taller than my 2016 was. I like the styling update and the improvements they've made on these trucks.

As for the comment on the interior room.....it fits me fine and I'm 6'8" and 400#. Where is it smaller.?

From an owners stand point, and this is my opinion: This is the best truck I've ever owned. If that makes me a fanboy, so be it, but that is my opinion after 7000 miles of ownership.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As for the comment on the interior room.....it fits me fine and I'm 6'8" and 400#. Where is it smaller.?
It’s quite a bit smaller in the backseat. It doesn’t even have three full-size seats. I don’t imagine there’s much difference for the driver, but I haven’t compared measurements.

hutchman

Reaction score
Do you mean smaller than a 2019 1500? My comparison is between the Gen IV cab which seems to be the same, as would be expected. I hadn't considered the new 1500 being bigger, but I guess it is.

Rancidlunchmeat

Reaction score
Rear seat leg room is a concern of mine, so I did a quick comp (sorry the table is so large), all are 2019 models in inches.
FrontRearLength
F15043.943.6231.9
Raptor43.943.6231.9

hutchman

Reaction score
I know the 1500 is bigger than before, but I had no idea it was that much bigger! Take this for what it's worth as it is an opinion.... If I had to choose between bed length or wheelbase over leg room, I would pick bed length or shorter wheel base any day. Even the short wheel base is a problem in some parking lots. I much prefer a 6.5' bed over the shorter 1500 bed also. Also don't forget I'm old enough to remember when the Quad Cab was a real gift over the Club Cab or a 2 door. The fell crew cab is much better than the older trucks were.

In the end we need to spend our money in a way that works best for us!

I do wonder if FCA did not extend the cab because the HD trucks have the Mega Cab option?

Users who are viewing this thread