5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Ram 2500 HD - looks outdated already

mk61hacker

Reaction score
Saw first RAM 2500 today at the dealership unloading. U-turned and stopped by to look. Crew cab, white, bighorn trim. First impression... man, does this look already outdated! Unless you look dead on center from either front or back - you can't tell which gen you are looking at. Since everything past a-pilar is the last gen this truck's exterior already looks 10 years old. From some angels it is just plane dated and unattractive.

I'm sort of disappointed as I was looking for upgrade to 2500 in 3 years when my lease on Rebel is up. No way I'm spending $80K on diesel truck that looks >10 years old.

Anyhow, this is very strange decision by RAM to hoist a lot of new tech on a decade old body.

KLSU

Reaction score
Maybe the exterior with only the front end changing might be underwhelming for you but the interior updates along with the 8 speed transmission is what I am most excited about. Heck, I still love the look of the 4th gen 2500's and if they had an 8 speed with the 6.4 that is what I'd be driving already!

SupremeWill

Reaction score
Maybe the exterior with only the front end changing might be underwhelming for you but the interior updates along with the 8 speed transmission is what I am most excited about. Heck, I still love the look of the 4th gen 2500's and if they had an 8 speed with the 6.4 that is what I'd be driving already!

Most people that buy an HD for work are going to buy a diesel, so the 8 speed isnt a helpful selling point because it only comes on the gas model. Or at least thats what i have been told.

BGRAM

Reaction score
You do realize Ford re-used the same cab on the Super Duty from 1998-2016.... That's 18 years of the exact same cab design which helped them make massive profits!!!

What is wrong with FCA taking a similar strategy while investing in development of additional models?

SupremeWill

Reaction score
You do realize Ford re-used the same cab on the Super Duty from 1998-2016.... That's 18 years of the exact same cab design which helped them make massive profits!!!

What is wrong with FCA taking a similar strategy while investing in development of additional models?

Great point....BUT we dont drive Fords

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I totally agree!!! BUT Im sure Devildodge is about to start debating you about it.
Nope. I just went and bought another 4th Gen with a 392 Hemi. Gonna wait for the real redesign and any BGE news. Cummins doesn't have enough payload for me, I am not at high altitude, and my trailers wont be much north of 10k.

Opinions are like...well you guys know the saying.

SupremeWill

Reaction score
Nope. I just went and bought another 4th Gen with a 392 Hemi. Gonna wait for the real redesign and any BGE news. Cummins doesn't have enough payload for me, I am not at high altitude, and my trailers wont be much north of 10k.

Opinions are like...well you guys know the saying.

It doesnt have to be diesel all the time...I just bought a 4th gen 4x4 SLT LWB CC 2500 with a 5.7.....the owner wanted to get a 5th gen 2500 and it was too good of a deal to pass up. 140k miles and it only cost me $8k

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Saw first RAM 2500 today at the dealership unloading. U-turned and stopped by to look. Crew cab, white, bighorn trim. First impression... man, does this look already outdated! Unless you look dead on center from either front or back - you can't tell which gen you are looking at. Since everything past a-pilar is the last gen this truck's exterior already looks 10 years old. From some angels it is just plane dated and unattractive.

I'm sort of disappointed as I was looking for upgrade to 2500 in 3 years when my lease on Rebel is up. No way I'm spending $80K on diesel truck that looks >10 years old.

Anyhow, this is very strange decision by RAM to hoist a lot of new tech on a decade old body.

First off, its a 2019 model... I have been chasing these trucks since April when they were fully camo'd. I have to say after spending time with them, its far from dated. It they would have put a curve in the rear window like the 5th generation trucks have, people probably wouldn't notice its the 4th generation cab construction. But once you sit inside... you would be hard pressed to say its a 4th generation truck.... so agree to disagree!

SupremeWill

Reaction score
First off, its a 2019 model... I have been chasing these trucks since April when they were fully camo'd. I have to say after spending time with them, its far from dated. It they would have put a curve in the rear window like the 5th generation trucks have, people probably wouldn't notice its the 4th generation cab construction. But once you sit inside... you would be hard pressed to say its a 4th generation truck.... so agree to disagree!

Same bed same cab....sure the tailgate, bumper, and tail lights are different but i can change the bumper and tailgate myself. And yeah the interior is different and the engine and they added the 8 speed BUT myself and many others wish they would have hit it out the park like they did with the 1500 and did a total transformation on the body. I know you and Devildodge are hard core cheer leaders for the "new" HD but like you said...agree to disagree.

MyFavreInABox

Reaction score
I have to agree the truck looks dated, although I would also argue the 4th gen Ram still looks better than Ford and GM. I'm more "bothered" by the same poor roof strength (and the rest of the cab, for that matter). If I'm buying a truck that will haul my family around, I want the latest and greatest technology to protect them. Unfortunately, Ram misses here with cab strength.

shawnmeadows2004

Reaction score
That’s right...my 3500 SRW 6’4”
Diesel Crew Cab Limited is already built...and in js status ...hope it gets shipped soon, dealership
Already sold my other truck ...so I’m in a crappie loaner

Deluxe247

Reaction score
That’s right...my 3500 SRW 6’4”
Diesel Crew Cab Limited is already built...and in js status ...hope it gets shipped soon, dealership
Already sold my other truck ...so I’m in a crappie loaner
Your dealer gave you a loaner vehicle after ordering a 2019?

SupremeWill

Reaction score
1551907238903.png

Ok... please take a quick look and tell me if its a 4th gen or 5th gen....i said quick look dont set and study it....EXACTLY looks like a 4th gen and thats why im upset about the new design.

Come on Devildodge, you have to agree

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/