5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 ram 1500 high rpm low speed on highway

Not a dodge fan

Reaction score
My wife has a 2020 ram 1500. Twice now when driving on the highway the truck has slowed down to about 30 mph with the rpm going up to 4000. Dealer has no idea why. This last time it was making loud noises from the engine. She pulled over shut the truck off. Restarted it and it was fine. Any idea what would cause this??

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My wife has a 2020 ram 1500. Twice now when driving on the highway the truck has slowed down to about 30 mph with the rpm going up to 4000. Dealer has no idea why. This last time it was making loud noises from the engine. She pulled over shut the truck off. Restarted it and it was fine. Any idea what would cause this??

Sounds like she accidentally used the gear limit selector which is on the steering wheel. If she pressed the minus button, it limits the gear you are in and won't shift up. The only way cancel it, is to press the plus button to a higher gear/off or if she switches out of drive or turns the truck off, it will also reset.

Many of us have done this before, make sure she sees the gear limit buttons and understands their function.

vincentw56

Reaction score
^^this

Also, you can enable the gear display though the options. It displays the current gear next to the PRND.

Not a dodge fan

Reaction score
Sounds like she accidentally used the gear limit selector which is on the steering wheel. If she pressed the minus button, it limits the gear you are in and won't shift up. The only way cancel it, is to press the plus button to a higher gear/off or if she switches out of drive or turns the truck off, it will also reset.

Many of us have done this before, make sure she sees the gear limit buttons and understands their function.
Thanks I will ask and make her aware of it. One more reason to love my Chevy.

RamCares

Reaction score
We see that you have received some great advice from your fellow forum members! However, if these suggestions do not address your concern and you decide to visit your dealer, our team would be happy to offer additional assistance throughout that process! We're available via private message.

Callie
Ram Cares

Tigermoth181

Reaction score
Interesting as I had exactly the same issue with my 2021 1500 last week , driving in the city about 20MPH loss of power , looked at TAC and it was at 5000 RPM , actual engine revs likely closer to 2500 based on sound, pulled into parking lot , once vehicle stopped revs when back down , was able to put in reverse no issues. Stopped and restarted truck and seems to be running ok for past few days , but has me questioning reliability.

Has anyone received an answer or acknowledgement this is a bug or manufacturer issue?

U

User_3336

Interesting as I had exactly the same issue with my 2021 1500 last week , driving in the city about 20MPH loss of power , looked at TAC and it was at 5000 RPM , actual engine revs likely closer to 2500 based on sound, pulled into parking lot , once vehicle stopped revs when back down , was able to put in reverse no issues. Stopped and restarted truck and seems to be running ok for past few days , but has me questioning reliability.

Has anyone received an answer or acknowledgement this is a bug or manufacturer issue?
OP made 2 posts about a similar incident and never returned. I feel this post is going to be one of those as well.

Users who are viewing this thread